Fashion Book Lovers! discussion

Member's Corner > Jamie

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jamie (new)

Jamie  (jaymers8413) | 524 comments Mod
I am currently working on building an online store with mostly vintage articles and would like it to grow to selling affordable brand clothing and accessories. There never can be enough stores for me! Since I love to shop (even on a budget) I thought why not make a small business from it and see if it grows! I will post the website once it is complete! Wish me luck!

message 2: by Jamie (last edited Oct 01, 2010 08:49PM) (new)

#1 Question for all group members:

What is your favorite look for this fall?
(Put up a link to a picture if you have one)

message 3: by Jamie (last edited Sep 10, 2010 10:40PM) (new)

#2 Question for all group members:

I have a mission for everyone! Past vs. Present

What is the most amazing piece of clothing or outfit throughout history (past to present) you can find? Put up links to the pictures and later we will vote and decide if historical dress or modern wear win!

message 4: by Jamie (last edited Sep 10, 2010 10:41PM) (new)

#3 Question for all group members:

What is currently your favorite pair of shoes or the pair you are dying to have?

message 5: by Jamie (new)

Jamie wrote: "#1 Question for all group members:

What is your favorite look for this fall?
(Just put up a link to the picture(s).)"

I am loving the cape!

message 6: by Jamie (new)

Jamie wrote: "#2 Question for all group members:

What is the most amazing piece of clothing or outfit throughout history (past to present) you can find? Put ..."

I have added a poll to vote! Feel free to add a picture to persuade people to vote for your favorite or to get them to change their vote. Maybe we can do a special group read based on the winning era! At least let us know if you prefer past or present fashion.

message 7: by Jamie (new)

Jamie wrote: "#3 Question for all group members:

What is currently your favorite pair of shoes or the pair you are dying to have?"

I am not currently dying to buy a particular pair of shoes but I do have a question.

I am looking for cute casual shoes to where around during the winter. If you have any ideas let me know! Thanks!

message 8: by Phair (new)

Phair (sphair) | 78 comments Re Question#2: I have a partiality for 1870s bustle gowns and 1830s riding habits so I voted for Victorian. There are so many eras that have great looks but I think Victorian has the most variety of looks that appeal to me.
Will try to find illustrations of some favorites.

message 9: by Jamie (new)

Yes the dress in the Victorian era is beautiful!

message 10: by Jamie (new)

Jamie wrote: "Jamie wrote: "#2 Question for all group members:

What is the most amazing piece of clothing or outfit throughout history (past to present) you ..."

I added Rococo and Baroque to the poll so if you want to chang your vote feel free.

(when doing so it messed up the votes but I was able to fix it. If you voted for the 1920s or 2000-present it may say the opposite. I knew one person voted for each.)

message 11: by Jamie (last edited Oct 02, 2010 11:13PM) (new)

Sandra wrote: "Re Question#2: I have a partiality for 1870s bustle gowns and 1830s riding habits so I voted for Victorian. There are so many eras that have great looks but I think Victorian has the most variety..."

I like the paintings by James (Jacques) Joseph Tissot (1836-1902)

The Ball
http://www.artmagick.com/images/conte...

The Political Lady
http://www.artembroidery.net/images/F...

The House of Worth
http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/works-o...

message 14: by Jamie (last edited Dec 23, 2010 11:37PM) (new)

So what are you wishing most for Christmas or what was your favorite gift? (If you celebrate or if you celebrate a different Holiday that works too!)

message 15: by Jamie (new)

My favorite gift was a kindle!

message 16: by Jamie (new)

I hope everyone is having a great year! What are some of your favorite books you have read lately?

What is the one (or more) item you really want for spring?

message 17: by Jamie (new)

We are two away from 60 members! Feel free to invite your friends to join!

message 18: by Jamie (new)

I really want a cute romper. If you have any suggestions let me know!

message 19: by Jamie (new)

Almost to 70 members!

message 20: by Jamie (last edited Mar 26, 2011 11:07PM) (new)

I am wanting a book on 1930's fashion and a book about Louis XIV that details his design and fashion choices. Any ideas?

message 21: by Jamie (new)

Oh no it's fine. I keep posting trying to generate a discussion. You are just the first member to reply on my thread!

message 22: by Jamie (new)

Yes feel free to add or recomend any fashion books for this group. We have a bookself just for this group so it is nice to get recommendations.

message 23: by Jamie (new)

Almost 100 members!

message 24: by Jamie (new)

We now have 100 members!

message 25: by Jamie (new)

What is your favorite fashion item this summer? Do you have any summertime books to recommend?

message 26: by Jamie (new)

I hope everyone who lives in the United States goes and votes today!

message 27: by Jamie (new)

Happy Thanksgiving!

message 28: by Gitte - Bookworm's Closet (last edited Mar 01, 2013 07:03AM) (new)

Gitte - Bookworm's Closet (gittetofte) Jamie wrote: "#3 Question for all group members:

What is currently your favorite pair of shoes or the pair you are dying to have?"

I've fallen in love with these shoes: Chie Mihara - they're amazing! But a bit expensive ... But so pretty! I look at them nearly every day!

message 29: by Jamie (new)

So what is everyone going to dress up as for Halloween? I love being able to go all out and make costumes!

Gitte - Bookworm's Closet (gittetofte) I'm not doing anything for Halloween this year :-(

message 31: by Jamie (new)

I ended up being a gypsy for a friends party. I loved wearing lots of jewelry!

Gitte - Bookworm's Closet (gittetofte) Jamie wrote: "I ended up being a gypsy for a friends party. I loved wearing lots of jewelry!"

Did you take any pictures?

message 33: by Jamie (new)

I created a new group:

The Golden Years of Hollywood Book Club!
https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

message 34: by Phair (new)

Phair (sphair) | 78 comments Just what I needed-another group! Can't guarantee how active I will be but I just joined.

message 35: by Betty (new)

Betty Shubert | 73 comments Hi Jamie & Phair!..If you haven't noticed yet, page 255-264 in my book, OUT-of-STYLE,is titled, Fashions of The Forties & Hollywood Blvd." It was recently excerpted along with the illustrations, in the current Beverly Hills Times Magazine...which was in the gift bags given to celebs at the recent Golden Globes & soon to be presented, Academy awards..There are lots of anecdotes about Hollywood & show biz in my book,because I had costume shops in Beverly Hills & Hollywood where I employed the skilled craftspeople of the Motion Picture Costumers Union ... Here is where you could also re-tell about Marsha Hunt's book, The Way We Wore...It shows some of the best clothes of the 30s & 40s...better than fashion magazines of the eras. ...Good luck in your new endeavor! Betty Kreisel Shubert

message 36: by Jamie (last edited Jan 20, 2014 06:07AM) (new)

Betty wrote: "Hi Jamie & Phair!..If you haven't noticed yet, page 255-264 in my book, OUT-of-STYLE,is titled, Fashions of The Forties & Hollywood Blvd." It was recently excerpted along with the illustrations, i..."

That's so exciting! I can't wait to get started on the book! I also love Marsha Hunt's book. I wish more stars would have saved their photos and taken the time to put their lives into a book like that!

message 37: by Jamie (new)

Phair wrote: "Just what I needed-another group! Can't guarantee how active I will be but I just joined."

Thanks! I'm going to try to not focus a lot on reading. Just a book here and there and hopefully a lot of discussion and sharing of what we love.

message 38: by Jamie (last edited Mar 09, 2015 01:13AM) (new)

You guys might like some of the pictures on my blog post about the exhibit we had at a local museum called Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous: Art, Fashion & Luxury in the Gilded Age.

http://lealoulife.blogspot.com/2015/0...

message 39: by Betty (new)

Betty Shubert | 73 comments Hi everyone...haven't talkedto you lately: Iv'e been busy . You migt be inetersted in seeing my regulay contributions to the Amcestryco blogs. My current one, was about the evolution f trained gowns. Other of my blogs. I time-date old family photos that people send in. Google: blogs.ancestry.com/author/bettyshubert

message 40: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Moore | 71 comments Hi! I'd like to add two fashion books I've just recently read that some of might be interested in, "Schiaparelli And Prada: Impossible Conversations" and "Gucci Wars, How I Survived Murder and Intrigue at the Heart of the World's Biggest Fashion House," by Jenny Gucci. Both of these books are great fashion reads about Italian fashion.

message 41: by Jamie (new)

Victoria wrote: "Hi! I'd like to add two fashion books I've just recently read that some of might be interested in, "Schiaparelli And Prada: Impossible Conversations" and "Gucci Wars, How I Survived Murder and Intr..."

Thanks!

message 42: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay | 37 comments Betty wrote: "Hi everyone...haven't talkedto you lately: Iv'e been busy . You migt be inetersted in seeing my regulay contributions to the Amcestryco blogs. My current one, was about the evolution f trained gown..."

Hi Betty! Wow, that's really cool! I'm definitely going to check out the articles you submitted. The link that showed up with your comment didn't take me straight to it, but if people want to check it out hopefully this is easier:
http://blogs.ancestry.com/ancestry/au...

message 43: by Jamie (last edited May 14, 2016 03:11PM) (new)

These pictures are from the exhibit Spirits of the Bluegrass: Prohibition and Kentucky at the Frazier History Museum.

Frazier History Museum

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

message 44: by Jamie (last edited May 14, 2016 03:25PM) (new)

These pictures are from the exhibit Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous: Art, Fashion and Luxury in the Gilded Age at the Frazier History Museum.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

message 45: by Jamie (last edited May 14, 2016 03:56PM) (new)

These pictures are from the exhibit High Style: Twentieth-Century Masterworks from the Brooklyn Museum Costume Collection at the Cincinnati Art Museum.

Cincinnati Art Museum

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled