Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

Pretty Little Liars (Pretty Little Liars, #1)
This topic is about Pretty Little Liars
Pretty Little Liars > Final Thoughts?

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
There are 8 books in the series in less the 3 years? WOW!

Anna I found the first one clever, however, after a while the books got a little redundant. Living in an affluent area (land of beige suburb of a big city) I could totally identify with the over the top stereotyping of the girls and parents.

Lani (crahfty) I've only read the first one and thought it was pretty good. I somewhat enjoyed the mystery and some of the characters. I will continue to read the series and probably see if the tv show is worth the hype.

Sharon Oslin It took a little while to get into the story and understand the different characters. But, I like the mystery and I will continue to read the next book in the series. I also watched the pilot episode of the show and liked how similar it was to the first book. I think I will continue to watch the show though I have not finished the other books.

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 127 comments I finished the first book really quickly but it was a short read it was also really good I love the mysterty and itsabreath of freash air with all the fantasy that is out and about in YA now days. Its greatevery now and then to read something more realistic.

JennRenee (jennreneeread) I found that I enjoyed this book more than I thought I would. The characters were not developed as much as they could have been, but I did understand the difference in personalities. I am looking forward to reading more of when they start to interact with each other. I hope watching the series has not given too much away for me when reading the series.

message 7: by Steven (new)

Steven | 3 comments Shockingly, I loved the book. For being YA, it was nice to see how each character's lives intertwined. I've read the 2nd book in the series, but I'm starting to get bored with the entire series. I feel as though it's missing something? Am I the only one?

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments Steve wrote: "I've read the 2nd book in the series, but I'm starting to get bored with the entire series."

I enjoyed the book until the very end when I realized the author wasn't going to tell us the details of one of the secrets that was mentioned throughout. I think that's also when I started to get bored - I'll need to read the second book to learn more and there's no telling how many books I'll need to wade through to find out who killed Ali, why and how.

You're right that something is missing - the satisfaction of good ending where all the threads have been tied up.

Chloe (chloebooklover) I loved the first book. I thought it was really clever and interesting. I was hooked right away and it held my interest. I will definitely continue to read the series :)

Noelle (missnoellerenee) | 40 comments Grace wrote: "Steve wrote: "I've read the 2nd book in the series, but I'm starting to get bored with the entire series."

I enjoyed the book until the very end when I realized the author wasn't going to tell us ..."

The 'threads' are all tied up in the very last book. I promise you it is worth it to read through the entire series

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments Megan wrote: "The 'threads' are all tied up in the very last book. I promise you it is worth it to read through the entire series "

...and the last book is?

How many are there?

message 12: by Noemi (new)

Noemi Mendez (divinemsn) | 2 comments FYI is anyone is in the Phiily/S. Jersey area the author will be at the Collingswood Book Festival the first weekend in Oct.

http://www.collingswoodbookfestival.com/

message 13: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 1 comments I work in a 7/8th grade middle school. A student asked me for these books today. Would they be appropriate for this age group?

Noelle (missnoellerenee) | 40 comments Melissa wrote: "I work in a 7/8th grade middle school. A student asked me for these books today. Would they be appropriate for this age group?"

Actually I started reading this in 8th grade, but it probably isn't appropriate for the age group. But it all depends on the student.

Noelle (missnoellerenee) | 40 comments Grace wrote: "Megan wrote: "The 'threads' are all tied up in the very last book. I promise you it is worth it to read through the entire series "

...and the last book is?

How many are there?"

Wanted is the last and 8th book.

Antonia | 8 comments I looved the first book. I found the second one a little slower but still good.

message 17: by Lani (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lani (crahfty) I've stopped reading after the second book. I thought the books were just ok and when the author made a move that I disagreed with at the end of book 2, I determined the books didn't hold my interest enough for me to slog through 6 more.

message 18: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen Melissa wrote: "I work in a 7/8th grade middle school. A student asked me for these books today. Would they be appropriate for this age group?"

I would say no, they are not appropriate for that age group. I would say 17 and up. But that's just my opinion.

message 19: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen Halligan (bookandlatte) | 13 comments Wow, 8 books? I'm not sure I liked the first one that much! I will definitely read the 2nd one though, to see if I want to read the 3rd one :). I read the entire Harry Potter series, and loved every book... I just don't know if this series is worth 8 books.

Amanda (writers_soul) Melissa wrote: "I work in a 7/8th grade middle school. A student asked me for these books today. Would they be appropriate for this age group?"

I would say okay for the 8th grade and maybe the 7th grade but it would depend on the parent. I read the first one as a freshman.

Adriana (msbibliotecaria) | 29 comments I loved the whole series. If you read the first four in the series you will get to one solved plot line. You can continue from there if you want, and I certainly did. I devoured these books, but I think they are definitely not everyone's cup of tea. I just happen to like the gossipy-cliquey-girly-type books with some mystery thrown in.

message 22: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

At first I wasn't sure about the book. I kept having to have to remember who was who and that was starting to get annoying. Once I caught on though I started to really like it. Though it reminded me of Gossip Girl in a way. I have never read Gossip Girl so I don't know how the books are.. but in the shows there is always that voice over of that mysterious person who keeps up that blog. That is what the text messages signed with "A" reminded me of.

I thought the end of the book was really catchy. Ending with the funneral and all the girls getting together. It made me want to know what is happening and who is A.

message 23: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Melissa wrote: "I work in a 7/8th grade middle school. A student asked me for these books today. Would they be appropriate for this age group?"

I am going to say no.... not as a teacher handing out the book.

message 24: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Megan wrote: "Grace wrote: "Megan wrote: "The 'threads' are all tied up in the very last book. I promise you it is worth it to read through the entire series "

...and the last book is?

How many are there?"

[b..."

8 books? Well they are short books. I just get so tired of some books being series to just make more money.

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments Adriana wrote: "I loved the whole series. If you read the first four in the series you will get to one solved plot line."

I agree with you - although I've read only the first three books. It seems to get better as you go along. Now, I really want to find out who 'A' is.

Kayzee | 180 comments I read all the books. but they are boring, in a sense, but I am one of those people who have to read until the end to know what was going on. I just read other books in between to keep me satisfied.

Sindre Alexander Ellingsen (repitsu) | 3 comments I've learned one thing, I can't read a book to a tv series while i follow it.. I must read before it comes to Tv, else I get that creepy Pressure

message 28: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

I still need to get the next book!

Young Adult Book Reading Challenges

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Wanted (other topics)