College Students! discussion

Past Discussions of Group Reads > Persuasion--for those reading through

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker Here's a place to post your thoughts and insights as you're reading Jane Austen's Persuasion. Don't forget spoiler warnings!

message 2: by Merc (new)

Merc (oswinssouffle) I do not like this book.

Well, for the sake of being fancy, I will say that it is not that I do not like this book, in fact, there has been too little of a story progression for me to feel as if I am capable of making a accurate decision on if I do or do not enjoy the writings, its that this book does not like me.

Yes, that is was sentence. Are you wondering why I wrote such a long sentence? Have you picked up this book? Pay attention to where the periods are.

Yes.

I am feeling inspired by Jane Austen's extra long sentences.I hate those sentences. They confuse me. Why? Because, when I read them it don't feel like I am gathering any new information. That is where the confusion sets in.

Why have such a long sentence if I am not getting any new information from it?

Huh? What am I talking about? The second section of page 34.

You see, I understand the first six words. I get it. It's right there. What I don't get is the words after that. I read it and it's like I am reading an elongated version of the first 6 words. But, who would add 31 words to a sentence that could have ended with 6?

Who? WHO?

Gosh darn. I am having flashbacks of 11th grade english. You remember 11th grade English? Where they tell you that all the stuff you learned in the past was wrong- all wrong? That there are only 2 person(s) and that long sentences are just filled with unnecessary fluff and were no longer encouraged.

Yeah. That.

This book hurts me in so many different ways. I don't know if I will finish it.

It just never quits. I want to tell this book to STFU, sometimes.

This is the end of my rant.

message 3: by Emily (new)

Emily  O (readingwhilefemale) | 487 comments That's strange. I found the writing style quite readable and enjoyable. In fact, the style was one of the things I loved most about it. But then I don't think that long sentences are necessarily filled with fluff. Sometimes they are filled with beautiful language.

message 4: by Merc (last edited Sep 04, 2010 04:58PM) (new)

Merc (oswinssouffle) The more story I am exposed to, the more attractive the language may look. As of right now, it seems to be mostly fluff.

Then again, I have little patience for detail overload and things like that.

Oh~ and, I wasn't talking about long-sentences in general. Though, long sentences in general (over 23 words) were discouraged. But, her long sentences don't seem to be exactly... worth the effort of reading them. But, I am still early in the book. Not even 5 chapters in. :)

message 5: by Kayla (new)

Kayla | 604 comments I wasn't planning on reading Persuasion because I really wanted to read The Cider House Rules this month. However, I changed my mind a couple of days ago (I'm going to save CHR for fall break). I just checked out Persuasion from the library today and I'm going to start reading it as soon as I finish Rebecca.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahsaysread) Darn, I forgot about Persuasion and just packed my copy, so I'll have to get one from the library before I join in.

Also, as for the long-sentences thing... I think that's kind of common for the older classic novels, isn't it? Everything was so much more proper and therefore took an extra ten words to get out. For example, instead of saying "Hi, what's up?" like we would today, it'd be "Hello Mr. Such-and-such, and how do I find you on this fine day?" There was a lot more decorum to go through. That's my assumption, at least.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahsaysread) Finally got a copy from the library, so I'm diving in today.

Also, can any one recommend a good movie version of Persuasion?

message 8: by Kayla (new)

Kayla | 604 comments I'm enjoying this book for the most part, but it definitely won't be an Austen favorite. I'm just not taking to Anne as much I hoped and expected to. Don't get me wrong. She's an admirable heroine, but she's too gentle of a lead character to push the book forward. I prefer Elizabeth to Anne as a heroine. I guess I enjoy vivacity and (justified) rebellion in a literary character more than gentleness and a soft dignity. However, I do find that Anne's hold on her kind and honorable character in the midst of her family's superficial values and selfishness is a true triumph.

I would love Anne much more if, in the end, she called her family on their selfish ways just once. I have about 60 pages left to go, so I will see.

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahsaysread) I have about 100 pages left, but I'm really liking it so far. It took a little while at first - but I've caught myself actually making facial expressions while reading it lately (smiling, or my mouth open wide in surprise).

I can feel the emotions in this one stronger than in her others novels that I've read. You totally get the sense that Anne barely wants to admit to herself that she still wants Wentworth, because she couldn't bear to be disappointed. There's a big undercurrent of remorse and longing in this one, that makes me really excited to keep reading.

message 10: by Kayla (new)

Kayla | 604 comments I have only 25 pages left to read, but I haven't been able to pick it up in two days because of all the school work I've had to do! It's been insane! Hopefully I can finish it on Tuesday.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Rebecca (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jane Austen (other topics)