The Readers Review: Literature from 1714 to 1910 discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Miscellaneous Archives > Group Bookshelf

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I noticed that Chris had started adding books to the bookshelf and I thought I'd copy him. Then I noticed that he was adding to the "read" shelf, instead of the "to read" one.

So then I wondered how we want to use the group bookshelves. Do we want to set up shelves for different themes/countries/eras/poetry/humor etc? Or do we want to put everything in the "to read" shelf and then move it to the "read" shelf when we're done?

Whatever structure we choose it should be pretty simple or it will become a nightmarish mess for some poor moderator(s) to maintain. Thoughts?

Captain Sir Roddy, R.N. (Ret.) (captain_sir_roddy) | 1483 comments Mod
Kate wrote: "I noticed that Chris had started adding books to the bookshelf and I thought I'd copy him. Then I noticed that he was adding to the "read" shelf, instead of the "to read" one.

So then I wondere..."

Whoops! Well, I'm an idiot! I need to look at the bookshelf more closely. Now those books that I've posted, I have read, but I did not mean to imply that the group had read them. You are right Kate, we need to devise a system, or it will just be a bloody mess. I will take a look tomorrow a.m., and then come back here and see what we can come up with...

Thank you for the 'heads-up'! Cheers!

message 3: by MadgeUK (new)

MadgeUK | 5214 comments Christopher wrote: "Well, I'm an idiot!...

A particularly nice idiot though:).

Well, I have gone and spent a leisurely hour figuring out the group's bookshelf. I think I finally have the 'ins and outs' of it sorted out.

First, I created a bunch of new categories/shelves; and I encourage all of you to have a look at them and feel free to add shelves, or let me know that I have created a shelf incorrectly, or added a book incorrectly. You'll soon come to know that I am a clumsy 'bear' and tend to make dumb mistakes. ;-)

Secondly, I went through all of the books added so far, and tried to add them to appropriate shelves. Again, have a look and let me know if I have fouled up. I believe that all of you can edit, create shelves, add books, and so on and so forth. I encourage all of you to put some of your favorites up. I love looking at people's bookshelves, as it says so much about them. I believe that our group bookshelf will end up saying a lot about us too!

Have fun! And, Kate, thank you for discovering that the shelf needed some help. You are a Peach!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Chris, you're a pretty nice Teddy Bear too. ;p

I'll look more thoroughly later. But can I have another shelf? Name it something off-beat or funny, like "Lighten up" or "Take a break". I want somewhere to put things like "Three Men in a Boat" which I think everyone should read but I really, really hesitate to shelve it under 'British-literature'. :)

And then I have a weakness for some of O. Henry's and Twain's less serious short stories too, so it would be nice to have a home for just the fun stuff.

Kate wrote: "Thanks Chris, you're a pretty nice Teddy Bear too. ;p

I'll look more thoroughly later. But can I have another shelf? Name it something off-beat or funny, like "Lighten up" or "Take a break". I ..."

Absolutely! Put it up!

I read Jerome K. Jerome's Three Men In A Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog) last summer in a group read. Absolutely hysterical! I gave a copy to my aged parents, and they read it aloud to one another.

'Saki' would be another candidate for that shelf too.

Go to it, Kate, and have fun!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I would love to. Unfortunately, it apparently takes someone with moderator super-powers to add shelves.

I can delete any of the ones you have already put up, or even rename them in some whimsical fashion, but adding is beyond my feeble skills.

message 8: by Jan (new)

Jan (auntyjan) | 483 comments Why is there no category "all" at the very top?

Kate wrote: "I would love to. Unfortunately, it apparently takes someone with moderator super-powers to add shelves.

I can delete any of the ones you have already put up, or even rename them in some whimsic..."

Well, that is odd. I wonder if their are some settings that I can adjust. Let me have a look-see.

Jan wrote: "Why is there no category "all" at the very top?"

Very good question, Jan, and I haven't a clue...

Kate wrote: "I would love to. Unfortunately, it apparently takes someone with moderator super-powers to add shelves.

I can delete any of the ones you have already put up, or even rename them in some whimsic..."

Would you like to be a moderator for a while? This will allow you to fiddle around with the group bookshelf. When you are done, you can 'resign.' Then again, I might not let you. ;-)

Anyway, I will add you as a moderator now.

Christopher wrote: "Kate wrote: "I would love to. Unfortunately, it apparently takes someone with moderator super-powers to add shelves.

I can delete any of the ones you have already put up, or even rename them in..."

Done! Now you can tinker to your heart's content. See if you can figure out Jan's question-- "Why isn't there an "All" shelf?

I'm off to a dinner party. So, I'll see you all later tonight! Cheers!

message 13: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 3582 comments Kate wrote: "Thanks Chris, you're a pretty nice Teddy Bear too. ;p

I'll look more thoroughly later. But can I have another shelf? Name it something off-beat or funny, like "Lighten up" or "Take a break". I ..."

I believe you can put books on more than one shelf, so Three Men can go on both British Lit and also Fun Reads, or whatever.

Everyman wrote: "Kate wrote: "Thanks Chris, you're a pretty nice Teddy Bear too. ;p

I'll look more thoroughly later. But can I have another shelf? Name it something off-beat or funny, like "Lighten up" or "Take ..."

Yup, that's true. I was able to figure that out after a bit.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Christopher wrote: "Would you like to be a moderator for a while? This will allow you to fiddle around with the group bookshelf. When you are done, you can 'resign.' Then again, I might not let you. ;-)

Anyway, I will add you as a moderator now.
"

Now that was sneaky and evil. *Goes off to ponder retribution*

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

The book shelves are ready and waiting

Okay y'all, feel free to add books to the bookshelves. Be sure to mark them "to read" and then add whatever additional tags you feel are appropriate from the list. You can add a reason why you're adding it if you want to, or leave that question blank. If you want an additional shelf, bring it up here or PM me.

Once the group has finished reading something, we'll move it to the "read" shelf so we can keep track easily.

Think about the group bookshelf as you discuss interesting books to read and take a moment to add them in.

Have at it!

@Jan: The "all" shelf is the "to read" shelf at this point. Everything is listed there first, and then subcategorized further by the person who added the book.

Kate wrote: "The book shelves are ready and waiting

Okay y'all, feel free to add books to the bookshelves. Be sure to mark them "to read" and then add whatever additional tags you feel are appropriate from th..."

Excellent work, Kate! Thank you!

message 18: by MadgeUK (new)

MadgeUK | 5214 comments What is the memory capacity of this website?!

message 19: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 05, 2010 07:04PM) (new)

Not sure I understand your question Ami. I see the group bookshelf as serving several different purposes. I like browsing other peoples' shelves because I get ideas from them and the group shelf is no different. So put things on it you've read and enjoyed, or you want to read, or you think might supplement what we're reading.

I think it would be great to be able to pull nominations for future readings from the bookshelf, but it will take some work to get it there.

If you want to propose something specific to follow 'Adam Bede', start a new thread in the "Group Read Suggestions" folder and Chris can figure out exactly how he wants to structure the selection process.

message 20: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 3582 comments MadgeUK wrote: "What is the memory capacity of this website?!"

As far as we're concerned, effectively infinite. Almost all the books we will put on it are already on the site somewhere, so it's just a matter of the site linking them to our bookshelf, which is minimal.

message 21: by Jan (new)

Jan (auntyjan) | 483 comments My question? Which question, Kate? Now I don't understand.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Oops. I meant Ami. Apparently I can't read. You people sure you want me doing this?

Jan wrote: "My question? Which question, Kate? Now I don't understand."

Jan, I think your original question was "Why isn't there an "All" shelf?"

I am still trying to figure that one out. Right now it shows that we have no books added to our shelves, which is bunk!

Kate wrote: "Oops. I meant Ami. Apparently I can't read. You people sure you want me doing this?"

Oh, now I'm all upside down! I responded to Jan's original question, and Kate has responded to Ami's. Sheesh! I need to slow down and read more closely. My apologies.

message 25: by Jan (new)

Jan (auntyjan) | 483 comments And to all new people who might happen to stumble upon this conversation, no, we're not drunk...just a little confused...

Jan wrote: "And to all new people who might happen to stumble upon this conversation, no, we're not drunk...just a little confused..."

Would you believe quite confused... ;-) (although a little red wine is never a bad thing)

message 27: by Jan (new)

Jan (auntyjan) | 483 comments And a little dark chocolate.

message 28: by MadgeUK (new)

MadgeUK | 5214 comments A nice cup of tea might be more restorative:D.

message 29: by Linda2 (new)

Linda2 | 3739 comments I find this totally confusing. What does the Group Bookshelf reflect RIGHT NOW?

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Rochelle wrote: "I find this totally confusing. What does the Group Bookshelf reflect RIGHT NOW?"

At this point, it is a small selection of books that members will hopefully continue to add to.

Right now it contains a few books by poets and authors of the period and some additional background and biographical material. As it becomes more fleshed out it can be both a source for future group readings and a place for members to find things they'd like to take a look at on their own.

Kate wrote: "Rochelle wrote: "I find this totally confusing. What does the Group Bookshelf reflect RIGHT NOW?"

At this point, it is a small selection of books that members will hopefully continue to add to.
..."

Kate has the right of it, Rochelle. It is a repository for books that you (we) think the group might like to have on their own shelves; or books that could eventually be chosen as group reads; or books that provide background or reference information associated with authors and titles we are reading, and so forth. I actually check it out every day or so.

message 32: by Historybuff93 (new)

Historybuff93 | 287 comments Are we supposed to post here and say when we add a book to the bookshelf?

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Historybuff93 wrote: "Are we supposed to post here and say when we add a book to the bookshelf?"

Post whatever books you like. You can comment on what you added or not, as you you wish.

I agree. I think that all we'd like you to do, Historybuff, is just ensure that you tag it "To Be Read," and not "Read," or "Reading."

Oh, and of course the books must generally fall within our time period (i.e., late-18th century through the early-20th century.

Have fun!

message 35: by Historybuff93 (new)

Historybuff93 | 287 comments Oh good!:) I hoped I was corect in tagging the book as "To Be Read".

I just added Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness. Personally, I think this might make an interesting group read someday.

message 36: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Hicks (goodreadscomlaurele) | 114 comments Historybuff93 wrote: "Oh good!:) I hoped I was corect in tagging the book as "To Be Read".

I just added Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness. Personally, I think this might make an interesting group read someday."

Good addition, HB!

message 37: by Joy (new)

Joy (joylnorth) Kate wrote: "Post whatever books you like. You can comment on what you added or not, as you you wish."

I love that movie, Kate! I need to read the book though.

message 38: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 3582 comments When people add books to the bookshelf, in addition to ticking the tags for specialty shelves, please be sure to change them from the "read" shelf (the default) to the "to-read" shelf. Otherwise it looks as though we've read all those books in the group, when we haven't.

message 39: by Linda2 (last edited Oct 20, 2010 05:20PM) (new)

Linda2 | 3739 comments I've done Hardy, Dickens and H.G. Wells, but only books I thought were worthwhile. Also Zuleika Dobson by Beerbohm. Yes, I know it's from 1911, but the one humorous book already there looked lonely. If we're all quiet about it, Chris won't know.

There must still be other authors missing.

message 40: by Linda2 (last edited Oct 20, 2010 05:24PM) (new)

Linda2 | 3739 comments Everyman wrote:...please be sure to change them from the "read" shelf (the default) to the "to-read" shelf. Otherwise it looks as though we've read all those books in the group, when we haven't."

I'll bet YOU'VE read them all. :)

message 41: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 3582 comments Rochelle wrote: "I'll bet YOU'VE read them all. :) "

Not quite. I haven't read Zuleika Dobson. But wait -- of course I haven't, that's from 1911. But we can't tell Christopher.

So Shhhhhhh.

message 42: by Linda2 (new)

Linda2 | 3739 comments Shhhhhhhh. (Read it in college. It's funny as heck.)

message 43: by Denise (last edited Mar 18, 2012 04:30PM) (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 269 comments For fun, I thought I would add some Spanish works to the group shelves, but I don't see an option to create a new shelf for Spanish literature.

I added them, anyway, but they are only on the to-read and all shelves. These are books that I own that are within this timeframe, which encompasses the Romantic and Realist movements in Spain during the nineteenth century.

message 44: by MadgeUK (new)

MadgeUK | 5214 comments Thanks Denise. You could have created a new thread for Spanish literature if you wished.

message 45: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 269 comments Well, I read them many moons ago, and am not prepared to discuss them, but I thought, looking at the existing shelves, that some Spanish works would not be amiss. Perhaps someone who can create shelves could set one up, and then I could add them to that, but no big deal.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.