Classic Horror Lovers discussion

Themes > Looking for a Specific Theme?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Jamesian Enthusiast (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 1347 comments Mod
This folder is for readers who like a certain type of read, such as witches, ghost stories, gothic, etc.

Start a new thread to ask the experts (other readers) which books make good reads in your theme of choice.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "This folder is for readers who like a certain type of read, such as witches, ghost stories, gothic, etc.

Oh, I like witches and ghost stories...both! I also like to read about fairies.

message 3: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Jamesian Enthusiast (new)

I like reading about wicked witches. I am a huge ghost and faerie fiction fan myself.

message 4: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Jamesian Enthusiast (new)

I have heard good things about A Discovery of Witches.

Mike, I have that anthology. I like wicked witch stories.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

It should be 2 books not one as it starts out really well but then goes all over the place. I was tired of it before it ended!

Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I have heard good things about A Discovery of Witches.

message 6: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Jamesian Enthusiast (new)

That can happen when books are too long. I'm not big on long books myself.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "That can happen when books are too long. I'm not big on long books myself."

I don't mind them when I am really into a book. When a book is super good I don't want it to end and may read slower and slower as I don't want it to be over. Then I like series but those type books are very rare.
Discovery of Witches is not one of those. I was so glad when it ended finally.

A Discovery of Witches

message 8: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 164 comments They aren't always "classic," but those Mammoth Book of ... anthologies have lots that focus on a specific theme. There's a Mammoth Book of Wolf Men, Mammoth Book of Haunted House Stories, Mammoth Book of Vampires, The Mammoth Book of Zombies AND The Mammoth Book of Zombie Comics AND the Mammoth Book of Zombie Apocalypse, and I just bought The Mammoth Book of Monsters. They're huge and reasonably priced and usually well-edited.

message 9: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Jamesian Enthusiast (new)

I love those Mammoth collections. I have way too many that I need to read.

message 10: by Matt (new)

Matt Cowan | 28 comments The Mammoth Book of Haunted House Stories is probably my favorite anthology.

message 11: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Jamesian Enthusiast (new)

I enjoyed it a lot too, Matt.

message 12: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 164 comments I love haunted house stories a lot. I have that Mammoth Book of Haunted House Stories and can't wait to dig into it.

message 13: by Matt (new)

Matt Cowan | 28 comments "Ghost Hunt", "Dark Winner", "No.252 Rue M Le Prince", Feet Foremost", "Happy Hour", "The Grey House", "The Whistling Room", and "Bagnell Terrace" are my personal favorites from that anthology.

message 14: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 164 comments Mammoth Book of Haunted House Stories is my favorite too! I LOVE haunted house stories.

If anyone has a Kindle, many of those books are only $4.44, including Haunted House Stories and Monsters.

message 15: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Jamesian Enthusiast (new)

That's awesome. Thanks for the heads up, Cathy!