100 Best Novels - Discussion > A Room With A View - E M Forster

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by LynnB (new)

LynnB September - November 2010

A Room With a View by E.M. Forster A Room With a View

Post comments here!

message 2: by LynnB (new)

LynnB This is the book I'm starting with, and I think NicoleMichelle is reading it too. I'll be starting it today.

message 3: by LynnB (new)

LynnB NicoleMichele wrote: "I just finished it this morning! I gave it 5 stars. I enjoyed it more than "A Passage to India". My children go back to school tomorrow so hopefully I'll have more time to write-up a proper revi..."

I'm glad to hear it was a 5-star! The notes say it's a social comedy of that time, so I'm looking forward to some good reading.

message 4: by LynnB (new)

LynnB I just finished part I. All I'll say so far is that it's a very easy read and very amusing! I'm enjoying it!

message 5: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I think I have this on my nook as one of the free giveaways they have on Fridays. Love the free classics each week...it makes me stay up until midnight on Thursdays so I can log in and get them!

message 6: by Elena (new)

Elena I love free classics also! I have already downloaded this one.

message 7: by LynnB (last edited Sep 04, 2010 12:08AM) (new)

LynnB I'm in the second part now. I'm really enjoying it - but not having much time to read! The author pokes fun at all the established societal expectations of the time (early 1900's). Really clever.

message 8: by LynnB (last edited Sep 04, 2010 11:03PM) (new)

LynnB I found it easy to read and actually quite amusing. I liked Part II better than Part I, and I ended up giving it 4.5 stars (or would if I could!). I have a few sections of the book marked now, because I just liked how he put things. A tongue-in-cheek explanation of something with a blunt little ending that makes you snort in laughter.

I marked it down a bit because to me the ending (the last 5 pages or so) were rather weak compared to the rest of the book. The end was satisfying, but at the same time not quite as satisfying as it could be.

message 9: by Garlan ✌ (new)

Garlan ✌ I started this one a few weeks back but have stalled on it... It doesn't help that I'm trying to read three other books at the same time...

message 10: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I am in part two right now and plan on finishing it this week...more to come...

message 11: by Erin (new)

Erin I just finished!! It's good to be back! :)

message 12: by LynnB (new)

LynnB Hi Erin - good to hear from you! How did you like A Room With a View? I thought it was amusing.

message 13: by John (last edited Dec 24, 2010 06:51AM) (new)

John Parker (stingo) | 14 comments This was a somewhat frustrating read for me, in large part because I thought the characters had created their own trouble. I had the feeling that they were expending a lot of effort to go across the street in order to avoid a perceived issue, when they could have just remained where they were, dealt with the small issue, and avoided all the drama. Because of the difference between my post-modern setting and society in which I live and relish, where things are taken on their substance, and societal rules are challenged at every turn, I was unable to sympathize with these characters (particularly Lucy, Charlotte, and Mr. Eagers) who were so structured by the cultural mores of old-fashioned Victorian values.

It wasn't until the end of the book, that I was able to put my finger on a theme in "Room" that is more universal than a tale of "Lucy emerging as her own woman" and "Lucy struggling against old-fashioned Victorian values". It was in Mr. Emerson's instruction to "beware of muddle" that I saw the lesson of the book as being applicable to me today.

So, bottom line, a tolerable book, well written by its own standards, but very much up to the taste of the reader--sort of like meatloaf. I wouldn't call it entertaining, but then give Forster credit for making it short. It didn't require more effort than it was worth.

message 14: by LynnB (new)

LynnB John wrote: "This was a somewhat frustrating read for me, in large part because I thought the characters had created their own trouble. I had the feeling that they were expending a lot of effort to go across th..."

Part of the humor that I found in the story was exactly what you are writing about. They did make their own trouble out of perceived issues and that, along with their responses, was very amusing. I found the comparison between current life and their society added to this feeling. I enjoyed reading your review because your thoughts on the book were very different than mine and, in fact, it made me think about the book from a different viewpoint that I hadn't thought of when I read it.

The Modern Library 100 Best Novels Challenge

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Room with a View (other topics)