YA Must-Reads discussion

Welcome > Suggest! By all means do. =^)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by ~Tormiester~, The Writer (new)

~Tormiester~ (hatsoff343) | 363 comments Mod
Suggestions,Anyone? What can we do to make this group better?

message 2: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 3 comments I have suggestions for some books!

A Great and Terrible Beauty, Rebel Angels, and The Sweet Far Thing by Libba Bray;

THe Prophecy Keepers and the charm of Urizen by Melaine Bryant

The Study series and the Glass series by Maria V. Snyder

message 3: by ~Tormiester~, The Writer (new)

Kool! We'll definitely check them out! I know for sure that our other moderator has read at least three if not more!

message 4: by Rosalyn (new)

Rosalyn Leigh (t-rose) the entire Tillerman series by Cynthia Voigt:
Homecoming
A Solitary Blue
Dicey's Song
Seventeen Against the Dealer
Sons from Afar

I swear you will love these strong, inspirational novels

message 5: by Jodi (new)

Jodi (siriusismyhero) Anything at all by John Green (especially Paper Towns or Looking for Alaska), The Hunger Games trilogy, Matched by Allie Condie

message 6: by ~Tormiester~, The Writer (new)

THE HUNGER GAMES.....awesome!!!!! They really drag a person in!

message 7: by Patti, The Reader (new)

Patti | 327 comments Mod
Beware Mockingjay! …Characters needlessly die!

message 8: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 3 comments Challenges would be fantastic.

message 9: by Patti, The Reader (new)

Patti | 327 comments Mod
^That's something I've been wanting to do :) Trying to put the section together soon!

message 10: by ~Tormiester~, The Writer (new)

Ooo!! Is it good??????

message 11: by ~Tormiester~, The Writer (new)

hmmmm......

message 12: by Patti, The Reader (new)

Patti | 327 comments Mod
Does anyone have any suggestions for a reading challenge??

message 13: by Rose (new)

Rose H (mywickedvalentine) | 4 comments read volume 1 & 2 of DAUTHERS OF THE MOON it's a great read and it's a challenge. i've actually read alot im already on the third volume.

message 14: by ~Tormiester~, The Writer (new)

I think I've heard of that.... Is that the book with the two moons on the cover???

message 15: by Patti, The Reader (new)

Patti | 327 comments Mod
Tori wrote: "I think I've heard of that.... Is that the book with the two moons on the cover???"

hmmm…I believe Tea is talking about these: Goddess of the Night (Daughters of the Moon, #1) by Lynne Ewing Into the Cold Fire (Daughters of the Moon, #2) by Lynne Ewing ?

message 16: by Rose (new)

Rose H (mywickedvalentine) | 4 comments yeah thats it. right now im on the 7th or 8th book. :D
all the books u guys suggested i really want to read but the libary near my house sucks bad! (tear)

message 17: by ~Tormiester~, The Writer (new)

....and my mind goes blank.

message 18: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Herndon (samanthaherndon) | 6 comments Hey everyone!

My name is Samantha Herndon and I am the author of the Willow Fields Series.

Here is the blurb from Willow Fields: Mark of Power.

Ten years after her father’s death, Layla Norwood returns to her childhood hometown of Willow Fields, Massachusetts. She was glad to be back and to be getting a second chance at a normal life in a normal town, until a vision shows her the death of everyone she was going to know and love. She finds herself locked in a battle for not only her own life, but the lives of those she loves. Will she be able to trust in herself, her powers, and the love of everyone around her, to save her family and friends? Or will she take the easy way out and accept the offer of great power and complete darkness?

Both Willow Fields books are available at barnesandnoble.com and amazon.com as eBooks!

Willow Fields: Mark of Power Willow Fields Mark of Power by Samantha Herndon
Willow Fields: Layla's story Willow Fields Layla's story by Samantha Herndon

message 19: by Patti, The Reader (new)

Patti | 327 comments Mod
They sound great! If you wanted to you could even make your own thread about them down at the bottom of the discussions.

message 20: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Herndon (samanthaherndon) | 6 comments Patti wrote: "They sound great! If you wanted to you could even make your own thread about them down at the bottom of the discussions."

Thanks! I didn't think about doing that!

message 21: by Annabel ♥ (new)

Annabel ♥ (cinnamonbliss) anything by Libba Bray: A Great and Terrible Beauty series especially...i'm reading The Sweet Far Thing right now, and it's great.

I also really like The Books of Bayern by Shannon Hale (i.e. The Goose Girl, Enna Burning, River Secrets & Forest Born)

What else? oh, The Immortals series by Alyson Noel, and Radiance, Shimmer, and Dreamland, also by Alyson Noel.

These are all really great books.

message 22: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Barker | 1 comments Hi, everyone! Happy to be a part of this group. I'm a YA/Teen/Women's fiction writer and hope some of you will be kind enough to read my new work, "Ednor Scardens" which is available on Amazon/Barnes and Noble. Print edition is coming soon. http://www.amazon.com/Ednor-Scardens-ebo...

Here's what it's about:

When the boob fairy makes an early visit in sixth grade, eleven-year-old Kate Fitzgerald is unprepared for the repercussions. Her puppy-love relationship with classmate Gabe Kelsey quickly blossoms. But her carefree days in Catholic school darken with the arrival of Father John O'Conner, a predatory priest with a hidden past. Life becomes even more tangled when Kate falls hard for Gabe's darkly handsome older brother, Michael. The Kelsey boys couldn't be more different: one is shy and self-effacing; the other is tall, athletic, and confident.
As the brothers battle for Kate’s affections, how will she choose without tearing their family apart? When she silently witnesses a frightening scene between Gabe and Fr. O'Conner, Kate is unaware that she is O'Conner's intended next victim.

With her mother distracted by the strain of providing for her daughter, and a grandmother uncannily tuned in to her feelings, Kate struggles to navigate the unwanted attention from older boys and men, while trying to sort through the questionable counsel of her too-worldly best friend, Anita. Comical adventures lend relief to Kate’s dark struggles, especially when friends share their refreshingly naive observations about growing up. The tragic death of a classmate brings the group face-to-face with mortality, shattering their facade of invincibility.

Ramsey Flynn, author of CRY FROM THE DEEP, writes:
“In her compelling breakout novel, EDNOR SCARDENS, Kate Barker writes with the commanding prose of a seasoned pro. Her characters and plotlines are crisp, vivid, clear and sensitive, easily winning her readers' confidence as the story unfolds. But Barker's boldest decision is her willingness to bank on characters both complex and earnest. Through the testing of allegiances, the moral temptations, the inevitable gathering of courage, and the everyday crucibles that a young heart must endure, readers will have no doubts who they're rooting for in the end. One of the clearest winners is new novelist Barker herself, who definitely has more great stories to come. This series will quickly produce a loyal and devoted following!”
There's a trailer up on YouTube also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=benKVy6O8...

Thanks!

message 23: by Hobb (new)

Hobb Whittons | 7 comments Hi everyone! I'm Hobb Whittons, author of 'Tales Of The Pahleen: Blue Fire Burning'. Thought I'd share this review of my book with you - penned by Chicago teen and celebrated bookworm/blogger, Harpreet Singh. Check out her site at: http://booksforteens6212.blogspot.com...

Book Review BLUE FIRE BURNING By Hobb Whittons

Title: BLUE FIRE BURNING
Author: Hobb Whittons
Pages: 485
Format I Read It In: Paperback

Blurb: In the dead of night, a covered wagon driven by a hooded, faceless being is careering through the forest at breakneck speed. Inside the wagon, sit two jittery Goblin men: Grot and Mouldy. Suddenly, the contents of the sack they are staring at begin to glow...
Consumed by the desire for revenge, the Goblins' wicked Dark Mistress sets diminutive winged telepaths, the Pahleen, a riddle they must work out if they are to get back what they have lost and save the world known as Wadjamaat.
Desperately, King Kilron searches high and low but finds no clue. Then, something unexpected happens in Haggles Cove and the race is on again...but there is a sting in the tail. To have a chance of succeeding, Kilron must now face the prospect of doing something always forbidden to his ancient race.
Meanwhile, unaware of the planet's 'ticking clock', the cosmopolitan human population of the walled naval port of Bellana are busy getting their wondrous Mermaid Stadium ready for the grand Argia Final. With canine companion Wolf in tow, country girl Hahmi Merkin gets a hostile reception when she enters the city. She heads for the sanctuary of blacksmith friend, Aristide Brindle's house where she leaves her horse and cart. Entrusted with his son's 'paddywhack', she sets off for the stadium. What happens after that is beyond even her wildest imagining...
Throughout this magical and marauding tale, love, trust and a craving to belong do battle against prejudice, religious fanaticism and the lust for power - and the stakes could not be higher.

My Thoughts: Right from the beginning, I felt swept into the plot for this hard-to-put-down book. It really struck me as a very original and fresh story yet with the familierness of a loved tale. The pacing in this book was exquisite never drying up and always providing just enough suspense. The characters and creatures of sorts provided an amusing atmosphere, yet strangely enough, I could connect with a number of them especially Hahmi, Wolf, and some others. Surprisingly, being his first, the organization and structure in this book were amazing! Not many first-time authors can pull that off. The length of this book was just right, enough pages to satisfy, but not so many that the reader drowns in them. The main themes in this novel, friendship, bravery, trust, and loyalty, are themes seen in a lot of works, but they appeared fresh and very original in this epic tale. Blue Fire Burning needs to be read by people of all ages, there's magic in there for everyone!

You can purchase BLUE FIRE BURNING as an e-book or paperback at:

Amazon Barnes and Noble Hicklebee's Skylight Books and a host of other fine online bookshops!

message 24: by Hobb (new)

Hobb Whittons | 7 comments P.S. You can follow me and my Pahleen friends on Twitter or connect with me on Facebook. If you want to email me, my address is hobbwhittons@gmail.com. Look forward to hearing from you!

message 25: by Patti, The Reader (new)

Patti | 327 comments Mod
Hey Hobb! Thanks for letting us know about your story. Do you think you could put it under the Author section?

message 26: by Hobb (new)

Hobb Whittons | 7 comments Patti wrote: "Hey Hobb! Thanks for letting us know about your story. Do you think you could put it under the Author section?"

Will do. Thanks for the tip. Hobb

message 27: by Gayle (last edited Aug 24, 2011 08:51AM) (new)

Gayle Farmer | 5 comments Tori wrote: "Suggestions,Anyone? What can we do to make this group better?"

Hi Tori, I'm new and I'd sure like to get involved and make friends but I'm a computer idiot so it takes me forever to find my way around a new site.

I write teen action adventures, about teens and their horses, G rated for language and sex. I'd love to have them in the Giveaway program. Any help you can offer would be most appreciated! ;o)

Gayle Farmer

message 28: by Gayle (new)

Gayle Farmer | 5 comments Gayle wrote: "Tori wrote: "Suggestions,Anyone? What can we do to make this group better?"

Hi Tori, I'm new and I'd sure like to get involved and make friends but I'm a computer idiot so it takes me forever to..."

After cruising around, I think this is where I'm supposed to begin, lol. My name is Gayle Farmer and I write a series of teen adventures, The Doubletree Kids, and a Mystery/Detective series, the Sessions&Browing Adventures.

The back blurb below is from the back cover of Blind Trust, the latest in the series:

"Through a variety of unlikely events, Cathy Abbott becomes the dangerous obsession of a very disturbed and troubled man.

Nathan Stanley leads a precarious life, constantly balancing reality with fantasy. He admires the courage and determination of the blind sculptress, attending her showings and buying various pieces of her work over the years. Painfully shy and retiring, he can only admire her from afar until one night, while enjoying a solitary dinner on his rooftop lanai, he glances across to the next door building and watches a woman dancing in the moonlight. When he recognizes Cathy's face, his feelings for her morph from inhibited admiration to ardent love in one extraordinary move....

Thus begins an overwhelming obsession coupled with dangerous desires that threaten to cause harm to everyone.

Rudy Clark, member of the S&B team, agrees to serve as body guard while Cathy adjust to the loss of her guide-dog and acclimates to ner new dog, a Doberman named Kip.

Blind Trust combines the tender and moving story of two people who thought love had passed them by and a psychotic who yearns to be a part of Cathy's life to the point of murder."

Please check my site, www.omegapublications.net and check out all my books. You can read the first chapter of each book free and see how you like them.

Thanks so much!

Gayle

message 29: by Patti, The Reader (last edited Aug 24, 2011 12:24PM) (new)

Patti | 327 comments Mod
Hi Gayle and welcome! I hope you enjoy the group. If you want, you can make your own thread about your books and add them to our read shelf :)

message 30: by ~Tormiester~, The Writer (new)

Hey there Gayle! Patti's right. Feel free to add your book to our shelf buy clicking the "add to shelf" button at the bottom of the homepage. The story sounds very interesting by the way. I'm excited!! A blind love is definitely interesting since she will never truly see the man she loves~ ^-^

message 31: by Gayle (new)

Gayle Farmer | 5 comments Thank you so much. Just needed a little nudge in the right direction, lol.

I'm off to share!

Gayle

message 32: by Tulika (new)

Tulika Das | 2 comments hi friends! my name is Tulika and I've joined the group two days ago. Friends I like to suggest a book for you that I've read and thoroughly enjoyed. The title of the book is 'White Window' and the author's name is Koushik Roy. The book 'White Window' is available at Oxford bookstore( www.oxfordbookstore.com) and www.buybooksindia.com.The ISBN is-9788190841160. The book has received good review from UK NOVELIST DAVID FLUSFEDER

message 33: by Gayle (new)

Gayle Farmer | 5 comments I am so blonde! I'm doing something wrong, Tori. When I go to the home button, I get my page, but there's no 'add to shelf' button.

What am I doing wrong?

message 34: by ~Tormiester~, The Writer (new)

Ah! Go towards the bottom past the group members until you see the "Bookshelf" then click the "Add books" button. See if that helps and if not, we'll try something else. =^)

message 35: by Hobb (new)

Hobb Whittons | 7 comments Thought I'd let you know about children's/YA author Lorrraine Hellier. Take a look at her books www.lorrainehellier.com or connect with her on Facebook. Her work is fresh & intelligent. She's also a genuinely nice person!
Found this review on her site. Hope it's OK to post it here! Hobb

Review by www.indiereads.co.uk

Children and Young Adult
The Other End of the Rainbow - Lorraine Hellier

This is the first in a series of children’s fiction that works equally as a stand-alone story. It is a well-written book, an adventure, full of vivid descriptions of characters and places and contains a number of illustrations. At 96 pages, it is a good length for a junior reader.

The central character is fourteen-year-old Zoe. We meet her at a miserable point in her life. Having recently moved home, she is miserable in her new school, finding it difficult to adjust and to make new friends. Then she is offered a Saturday job in an antiques shop, where she instantly befriends Phineas, the proprietor.

He introduces Zoe to the magical island of Serendipity. This fantasy world exists in another dimension and is entered by stepping through a grandfather clock. When Phineas’ daughter is kidnapped by the menacing mermaids and mermen (superbly described with just the right level of evil intent for younger readers to be comfortable with), it is Zoe who devises a courageous plan to save her.

This is a story about growing up, forming new relationships, gaining new confidence and learning to adjust. The author has created a magical world in which an individual can be helped with their problems. But the book goes beyond this, conveying a strong and positive message about overcoming difficulties in life.

Unlike many of today’s tales, this book retains a certain innocent charm, reminiscent of a bygone age of children’s literature. It is probably most suited to girls, especially those at the transition of secondary school and adolescence. I am sure those who enjoy this story will look forward to subsequent books in the series.

message 36: by April (new)

April Brookshire (aprilbrookshire) | 1 comments Read my new book! Young Love Murder

message 37: by ~Tormiester~, The Writer (new)

........Y'know everyone.....I really love how you're all posting your books....but...well....-alright! I'm gonna yell it! Ready? Here I go-:
THIS SECTION IS FOR WAYS TO IMPROVE OUR GROUP! SUGGESTIONS OR FUN STUFF TO KEEP YOU ALL POSTING! IF ANYONE HAS ANY SUGGESTIONS THEN BY ALL MEANS!
....Phew, that felt good. ^-^ Anyways, if u have books you want to tell us about, there's a category for authors near the bottom last I checked.
Thank you~! =^)

message 38: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 3 comments I would recommend the Sweep Series by Cate Tiernan, The Hunger Games Trilogy, Crank Series and Ruby Holler.

message 39: by Hobb (new)

Hobb Whittons | 7 comments Hi!
Happy to announce that 'Tales of The Pahleen:Blue Fire Burning has won the YOUNG ADULT BOOK OF THE MONTH AWARD with FantasyBookReview (September, 2011)
Take a look at their site please; there's also an Author Interview. Thanks! :-)

message 40: by erika (new)

erika | 3 comments can someone tell me what happens in twisted by gena showalter im losing the plot i need to know what happened!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 41: by Claire (new)

Claire City of glass by Cassandra Clare

message 42: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (costrom) | 3 comments If I'm missing or dead......... true story I believe. Amazing!

message 43: by Hobb (new)

Hobb Whittons | 7 comments I've only just started reading the National Geographic Encyclopedia of Space. Makes you feel small, very small. Beautiful photos.

message 44: by Christine (new)

Christine | 2 comments Hobb,

National Geographic Encyclopedia of Space is going on my list. Sometimes when life is crazy it's nice to know that we are really very small and there is so much more out there.

message 45: by Pam (new)

Pam Williams | 6 comments G wrote: "hi! I'm really into gay stories right now. The Vast Fields of Ordinary by Nick Burd was fantastic. I LOVED Outtakes of A Walking Mistake by Anthony Paull too. I wonder if you guys have any gay YA r..."

I have it on my TR list Will Grayson, Will Grayson. I've heard it's a great story.

message 46: by Sarah Louise (new)

Sarah Louise (keytan) If you like Urban Fantasy, you MUST read Holly Black's YA novels. Start with Tithe and you will be HOOKED.

message 47: by Amy (new)

Amy I'm so far behind on my reading! Please someone help me decide which series to start with!

message 48: by Claire (last edited Jan 22, 2012 02:36PM) (new)

Claire Have you read the Shiver books yet?? they were a lot better than I thought they were going to be.

Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater

Linger (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #2) by Maggie Stiefvater

Forever (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #3) by Maggie Stiefvater

message 49: by ~Tormiester~, The Writer (new)

Hmmmm..... I've read Shiver but haven't gotten around to reading Linger BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'd SINCERELY suggest reading the book A Discovery of Witches A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, #1) by Deborah Harkness

message 50: by Pam (new)

Pam Williams | 6 comments I just read The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1) by James Dashner series and recommend it highly. It's a little like The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins but from a boy's point of view and with even more violence. I've recommended it to my middle schoolers and I can't keep it in the library.

« previous 1