Delirity discussion

Author W-Z > World of the Lupi - E. Wilks

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (last edited Jul 29, 2014 10:45AM) (new)

message 2: by Angela (new)

Angela B What's this about, I like the covers but I haven't even heard of this series

message 3: by Shannon (last edited Aug 31, 2010 09:55PM) (new)

Shannon C. The World of Lupi series is a great combination of paranormal and crime mystery/suspense. The mystery plays a major part of each storyline. There is a romance that builds slowly over the series. The main character is a cop turned FBI agent working magical crimes. Her mate is a werewolf. The series is highly original, with appealing characters, strong world building, and interesting storylines. Wilks' books would appeal to fans of urban fantasy and paranormal romance primarily, but also to fans of murder/crime mysteries.

Here's how I rate the books:
1: Tempting Danger (4 stars)
2: Mortal Danger (3.5 stars)
3: Blood Lines (4 stars)
4: Night Season (3.5 stars)
5: Mortal Sins (4.5 stars)
6: Blood Magic (4.5 stars)

Can't wait for Blood Challenge!

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather T (horrorvacui000) | 5931 comments Mod
There's something about this series I love, and then there's something that's missing that keeps me from giving it 5 stars. They get between 3 and 4 stars from me with books 3, 4, and 6 being my favorites. I probably would have rated 5 higher, but I had time between it and book 4 and it just took me too long to get back into the series for some reason.
They're fun reads and I'm excited to see the next one. Some of them work for dragon in the criteria challenge. Books 5 and 6 at least.

message 5: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. This is one of my favorite series. There is a short story that preceded the first book. What happens with Lily and Rule is a little different but it still is really good.

message 6: by Heather (new)

I liked the short story and then was completely thrown when I read book 1. Apparently she decided she needed to make the world bigger if it were to be a series.

message 7: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments I really like this series, but do agree that some of the books are better than others. I love how the shifters are so different from what is out there. I also love the whole world of magic and how it is such a big character in the books.

message 8: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. Heather wrote: "I liked the short story and then was completely thrown when I read book 1. Apparently she decided she needed to make the world bigger if it were to be a series."

She had a little disclaimer-thing at the beginning of the paperback explaining why she changed it up.

message 9: by Shannon (last edited Sep 01, 2010 07:02PM) (new)

Shannon C. I have not read the short story. I just looked it up. Was it re-written and expanded into Tempting Danger (book 1)?

The description for the short sounds very much like part of the plot of the first book. It doesn't sound like I need to go back and read it.

message 10: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments Shannon wrote: "I have not read the short story. I just looked it up. Was it re-written and expanded into Tempting Danger (book 1)?

The description for the short sounds very much like part of the plot of the f..."

That short story is like the first pass at the first book, but just know that if you read it, it is WAAAY different.

message 11: by Heather (new)

Ya, the short story was altered into book 1. It's wolves only. I liked it. A lot of it is exactly the same, but there are points where the plots differ since the world was so much simpler.

message 12: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments Plus Toby's mother is a lesbian who wanted kids. There were other points too, but I can't remember them.

What I do find interesting is how you can see the difference, the short story is more a work in progress, sort of like her first pass through at an idea, then she worked and made it a ton better.

message 13: by Shannon (new)

Shannon C. Oh, I really liked the first book. I don't think I'll go back and read the short.

message 14: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. And any female children Rule and Lily have may turn into tiger shifters. I missed that part and the part where at the grandmother's birthday party how she acted toward Rule.

message 15: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments This latest book, Blood Challenge, was all sorts of good, with a big game changer at the end. It is too bad that this book just came out, because I want the next one now!!

message 16: by Heather (new)

I'm really looking forward to it.

message 17: by Heather (new)

I'm finally getting to #7. I hate that I had to wait so long to request it because that means I still have about 6 more months before I can get to #8.
Good so far.

message 18: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments There is a short story in Tied with a Bow (Includes Breeds, #25; World of the Lupi, #8.5) by Virginia Kantra , maybe that will help.

message 19: by Heather (new)

I've seen that cover a million times and never once thought that maybe I should read it. Go figure that Wilks is in it.

message 20: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments That just shows you, that you really can't judge a book by it's cover. lol

message 21: by Heather (new)

It's the bow. The rest is fine. But, the bow ....

message 22: by Heather (new)

I wrote this great little comment and it didn't load. Grrr...
Summary:
This series is undervalued. More people should read it. Some books are better than others, but as series it's a great read that gets more interesting the longer you're in the world.

Also, this ominous feeling in my gut about how bad things are going to go wrong soon sucks. I think I know exactly what's going to happen and I don't want it to. I get why it will, but I'm still going to pout and maybe cry.

message 23: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments Heather, can you pm me with what you think is going to happen? I am curious to see what you think.

message 24: by Heather (new)

I finished. Book 7 (view spoiler)

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2445 comments Man I really liked the first one, and I own them all but I haven't gotten past book 1.

I think I have a serious problem. Even if I do the challenges I never seem to finish series or stay caught up.

message 26: by Heather (new)

I'm on Death Magic and it's building up to be SO MUCH DRAMA! I actually put it down. I was so nervous as to how things were going to turn out and how everything seems to be falling apart that I'm actually afraid to keep going. I'm sure it'll all turn out okay in the end, but talk about creating tension...

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2445 comments That sounds like a great read!!!

message 28: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 1272 comments Sorry I didn't go back and read the older comments yet its early but, do these books get better? the writing in book one is atrocious. There is no leaping its like a daily account of some boring ladies life. The dialogue is used to tell instead of to make you feel.

Was this originally self published. I figured the series must get better or it wouldn't be so long and have so many followers.

Also I care not about Lily. -_-

message 29: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments I do think this is one series that gets better as it goes. The first book sets up the world and what the rules are, so it reads a little slower.

message 30: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 1272 comments Don't have a problem with the slowness its the writing and build up and the unbelievable characters. Like the little person.(view spoiler)

that being said one of my goals is to read more urban fantasy and to finish off series so I will at least finish this first book before I write it off.

message 31: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments When you are done with the first book, let us know what you think of it.

message 32: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 1272 comments i will :)

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2445 comments It's been a really long time since I read the first one, but I know it had a first book feel. And it was slow.

However, I've faithfully bought all the books since.

message 34: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 1272 comments the main thing that bothers me is the dialogue that lasts for pages but doesn't really advance the plot. It keeps pulling me out of the plot. It's like:

"You know you're the favorite son"
"Oh,yes I know"
"Remember that time when everybody went to jail?"
"Oh yes let me describe it now in detail"
"Do you understand that this has nothing to do with the plot?"
"Yes but the author feels the need to give our readers an info dump, she's going to try to sneak it in through dialogue and hope they're to stupid to know that it's the same thing"
"Excellent"
"Bye son"
"Bye father"

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2445 comments Ha-ha!! Love it.

I actually need to go back and reread it because I can't remember anything that happened in that book . . . but I need to move on in the series.

message 36: by Heather (new)

Here's the deal. Book one was a short story. Someone liked it enough to make it into a book. She went back and filled it out all afterward. That's why it feels choppy and odd. I remember reading the short and then reading the book wondering why I had already read half of the story somewhere. She changed, added, and took some stuff out since she was commissioned for a series and she wanted to be able go in more directions that just wolves.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2445 comments What a fun fact! I'll have to think about that when I do my re-read at some point.

message 38: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 1272 comments So basically I could start with book two

message 39: by Heather (new)

The short is wolves only. She adds the magic users and other species for book 1.

message 40: by Shera (Book Whispers) (last edited Feb 04, 2014 07:04PM) (new)

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2445 comments So I'd say it's still a good idea to trudge through book one. I've read series that only get really good at book 3 or 4. The payoff is always worth it.

message 41: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 1272 comments Finally finished book One instead of telling you what I think here I will link you to my "review" because Im not sure if I am giving anything away. One thing I will say here is that my kindle version was missing pages and I was not pleased.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 42: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 1272 comments Rule and Cullen literally saved this book for me and If they are in the next book I will continue although I wouldn't say they are the best books they are certainly stress free and with all the class work I have to do its nice to read something that doesn't take that much brain power.

message 43: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments Rule is in all the books, Cullen too, but some of them are more Cullen heavy than others.

message 44: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 1272 comments Cullen is probably the most interesting his chemical make-up ...