Gigi's Company discussion

Group Reads Discussions > September '10 BotM: Stormwalker by Allyson James

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathleen (last edited Aug 31, 2010 06:02PM) (new)

Kathleen Burket (kathleengigicompany) | 20125 comments Mod
Please post comments and discussion here for the September '10 Book of the Month:

Stormwalker (Stormwalker, #1) by Allyson James Stormwalker (Stormwalker, Book 1) - Allyson James

(Selected by Kami, Gina, Liz, Amanda, Karen, Kristie, Colleen)

message 2: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 166 comments I started this book and I feel like I should already know these characters and some of the stuff they have gone through. Should I read a different book, or series, before I start this one?

message 3: by Julia (new)

Julia | 11510 comments Kristie,

I thought this book was like a lot of books I'd already read, too. Which to me meant that it is derivative and I didn't need to read further in the series.

message 4: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 166 comments Julia, was there another book before this one? Or a series? It just seems like I'm picking it up in the middle a series or something. But I agree with you about this book being like other ones. Not sure how I feel about it yet.

message 5: by Julia (new)

Julia | 11510 comments I don't think so Kristie. It just has that caught in the middle of things element, which I think English teachers call in media res.

message 6: by Gina (new)

Gina (ginrobi) | 3325 comments Mod
I'm getting the same feeling, Kristie, and I'm not particularly enjoying it. It's feels like I'm supposed to know these characters already, and what Janet is all about. She's in a town where the sheriff has taken an instant dislike to her, and don't really know why. It can't only be because she was asked to investigate the disappearance of his girlfriend/fiancee. That doesn't make sense. I'm feeling her confusion about Mick - the reader is just as confused as the character. Way to go, author! *eyeroll* I think I may know what Mick is - a dragon shifter, but don't quote me on that. And Coyote - a Navajo God who will kill Janet if she turns to the Beneath side, to her mother? And yet, he offers himself for a threesome. *double eyeroll* Good grief. I'm sorry, but not very creative, and rather insulting.

I'm currently on page 103. A "magic mirror" was just introduced to the story. I have to say this: I'm a huge paranormal fan. It's my fave genre, and has been since I was 15. I'm now 33. I like paranormal in all forms: romance, romantic suspense, thrillers, horrors, mysteries... give to me, baby. But this book... ... ... why do I feel like the author is making fun of me?

message 7: by Gina (new)

I just checked her website and Fantastic Fiction. Now, her website isn't telling me much, but FF has it stated that a novella she wrote and published in Hot for the Holidays, titled "A Little Night Magic", is the prequel to her Stormwalker series. I read it back in December '09, and unfortunately, it's one that I didn't get to post a review for, so I don't remember much of the story. I'm thinking maybe I should pick up the book and reread the novella...

message 8: by Julia (new)

Julia | 11510 comments I understand why authors might write a short story on a new character/ universe before writing a novel. Writing a successful short story, maybe even one that wins praise and or awards or sales looks good to a publisher.

Here's a common sense idea to publishers free of charge. If there's a short story that comes before the novel buy it and include it with the first novel.

If I'd read "A Little Night Magic" before Stormwalker I might not have sworn off Allyson James. Great marketing there, Berkley Sensation!

message 9: by Gina (new)

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of them, either, Julia. In fact, it's a pisser. I know a lot of people who don't like reading anthologies or novellas.

Meanwhile, don't feel so bad. While it's a prequel, it isn't much of one either. In Stormwalker, Janet talks about her friend, Jamison. The prequel is about Jamison. If you click on the link below, there's an excerpt. After reading it, I remembered it, LOL!

http://www.allysonjames.com/Books/ali...

message 10: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 166 comments Well...I've been stuck wanting to read this book because I feel like I'm missing something! I will have to go read that link Gina, thanks for finding it. I went on Allyson James website and it was so confusing, I wish people knew how to organize their websites, some are really good and easy to follow and others are like a mosh-posh of things thrown together, and I think it is really stupid to write a short story or novella about two main characters you are getting ready to write a series about - I'm just really confused and it's a total turn off for me. I also get the feeling like she is talking down to us as the reader. (I have issues and just with the book! LOL =D )

message 11: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 166 comments I FINALLY FINISHED! Holy cow I wasn't into this book at all. I don't want to give anything away for those who haven't read the book yet but I had a lot of problems with this book. Has anyone else finished? And if so, what did you think about this book?

message 12: by Gina (new)

Kristie, her website is confusing. Took me a while to find what I was looking for.

I finished it. While it wasn't the best book I've ever read, I think the ending made up for it, somewhat. I'll read the second book. If it's good, I'll continue, if not, then I won't. I'll post my thoughts closer to the end of the month, to give everyone who's planning on reading it a chance to, LOL, without spoiling it for them. My reviews always contain spoilers.

message 13: by Sam (new)

Sam | 1857 comments I have this FINALLY arriving next week as I picked it up on Ebay. I won't have it done by the end of Sept but will be reading it. I will have to dig out my copy of Hot for the Holidays. . . . hmm, which of the 45 book boxes do I think it might be in. LOL!!!

message 14: by Gina (new)

Sam, did you finally get to read this one?

message 15: by Sam (new)

Sam | 1857 comments I've started it but haven't gotten very far into it yet. Haven't picked up a book in about 2 weeks. All I've had time for is audio books only as I can do other stuff while I listen to the book.

message 16: by Sam (new)

Sam | 1857 comments So I finally went and picked this up and finished it today.

It honestly got better once I got into it. The first part as previously mentioned was a bit confusing but nothing can be worse or more confusing than the first part of book 1 in the Kate Daniels series so I persivered. (sorry I don't have my spell check on. :-)!!).

I actually enjoyed it over all and would give it a solid 3 star rating. I liked Mick and Coyote. I can see a bit of 'triangle' coming up in future books.

You know what impressed me, I liked the sex scenes in this book. They weren't overly graphic but you knew she wasn't having vanilla sex. It was good, just the right amount. I like a good hot scene but sometimes I want plot line which this book eventually does follow thru on.

some spoilers. . . . . . .

Some issues I had were: Yes, I didn't understand why Nash hated Janet so much and there never was much of an explanation other than he was attracted to her nand he seemed to like friction but even at the end he ended up arresting her. sigh.

Having Amy at at Convent and having Janet figure it out seemed to come totally out of the air for me. Maybe I'm a bit slow. ?

Anyhow I will continue with this series. I believe the next book is about Janet rescuing Mick in Firestarter which comes out next month.

message 17: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 166 comments Sam wrote: "So I finally went and picked this up and finished it today.

It honestly got better once I got into it. The first part as previously mentioned was a bit confusing but nothing can be worse or mor..."

You are not slow! I had to reread the part where Janet figured out Amy was in a convent. I still don't understand how she put two and two together. Maybe we're both slow? hehe ;D

message 18: by Sam (new)

Sam | 1857 comments :-)

message 19: by Gina (new)

Make that three of us. I, too, reread that part, thinking I'd somehow missed something.