Challenge: 50 Books discussion

2010 > Endurance Runner turned Endurance Reader!

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patty (new)

Patty (mpattyk) I've always loved reading and know I need to make more time for it in my life. I do best when I have a goal in front of me. So here we go!

message 2: by Carol (last edited Sep 01, 2010 11:01AM) (new)

Carol Neman | 469 comments Patty, welcome to the 50 Books a Year thread! I can relate to trying to find chinks of time in order to have peace and quiet to focus on reading. I'd like to offer a couple of tips, if I may...some in the category of..'oops, learn from my personal research and don't do what I did.'

First off...time. I found I had time when doing housework, if I would use a timer. Fifteen minutes (or 30, 45, 60...whatever) on and the same amount (or less if you don't have the time) off, doing what makes me happy, which is most times, reading. During the 15, or so, minutes I was working, I was working faster, knowing it was not forever and I could relax without feeling guilty. I don't know what your situation is, so this may not apply to you, but perhaps you could modify it...

Next, logging...many avid readers keep a Book Log or Book Diary, some book diaries being very sophisticated with leather bindings and an elastic cord to hold the page...it doesn't have to be that elaborate, a 25c small memo book would suffice. A log will help to keep you on track, to remember which book, which author wrote the book (important if you like the style and want to be able to find other books by them), the date you were reading it, and any pertinent info you want to remember yourself, or pass on to others (in the form of a review, for instance). I like to add the publisher, initial cost, year of publication and library call letter (if I've checked it out of the library...so I can find it again).

And last...posting on your thread, this thread you have started. And don't forget to post both book, and author's first and last names. That will make it easier for others to find that book if they want to.

It's very tempting to think I don't have time to post something I've read, or check the Goodreads threads often, because I'm 'too busy' (this is the part that I meant when I said 'Don't do what I have done...') but the truth is, when I delay, it doesn't get done, and there is a lot of self-generating energy in seeing my list grow (what list you may ask). Perhaps when people say they don't have the time, what they really mean is that they don't have the energy to do it all, and something has to suffer...so take it a little at a time if you have to and work up your energy by noticing if, when you read...does it make you feel better? Or worse? Do you find yourself shifting other things more to the inconsequential side, to make time for more reading? I'm a firm believer that people need (not want, but need) to do what makes them feel good (energized, relaxed, filled up, you know what I mean). Responsibilities and enjoyment, can co-exist.