For The L♥ve of Reading discussion

Reading > How Has Reading Changed You?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ i am thoughtful on this rainy day. let's discuss how reading has shaped you as a person or your ideas about given things.

i can't remember a time when i didn't read. my oldest brother constantly gave me books to read and i've loved losing myself in the pages.

even today, i make an effort to read every day so that i can relax and engage in other realms of imagination.

message 2: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) i read somewhere that after 10 minutes of reading, your heartbeat slows down and you relax

message 3: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) and teres something else that happens but i cant remember what is right now

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather (nickyblue7) see thats another reason more people need to read!

message 5: by Andrez (last edited Aug 31, 2010 10:05AM) (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) hehe lol thats right1! and those who dont like yoga

message 6: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (flyinglogicmonkey) | 150 comments I learned how to read when I was three and now I can't imagine what I'd be like if I didn't read. I've always been "the bookworm". I've always loved to bury myself in the pages of a book and the worries of another character. In a way, it's a coping device for me. I can't imagine anything else, and I can't understand how people (my younger brother included) can't stand to read.

How has it shaped my ideas? That's trickier. Last year, I took a class where we read books that made you think. Some of them helped me to reaffirm what I believe. Some helped me to learn to identify arguments and recognize sound logic. Others (mainly the books I read for leisure) help me to remember not to take life so seriously. I tend to be a very facts-oriented, black and white thinker. Sometimes I need a good dose of fantasy or sci-fi, where nothing is "real".

message 7: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ jordan,

interesting comments. i think when i read i enjoy both fiction and non-fiction. i find if i read too many heavy books, be they fiction or non, i need to change the tone of my next book choice. i try to read a variety of texts, but will admit i do stay away from writers that may not conform to my way of thinking.

message 8: by Sacha (new)

Sacha (supersonicsacha) I like fantasy books. They are a different world and I love to immerse myself in them. I like to read about what other people dream of, fantasy books are dreams on paper.