What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

William F. Nolan
This topic is about William F. Nolan
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Short story? - Horror/Sci-Fi - last man, lives in sewers, monsters running topside [s]

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by A book away from an episode of hoarders (last edited Jun 23, 2011 01:32PM) (new)

A book away from an episode of hoarders (fidgit77) | 257 comments Ok, basically :::SPOILER:::

Aliens came down and either enslaved or killed most of the adults and then the children were running loose and killing and eating the remaining adults.

The man came up from the sewers to either get food or books or maybe both... can't really remember.

It may have been in a short story collection with another tale about goblins or something preying on a boarding school at night or I could just be mixing them together.

Ya'll were a big help last time and I'm hoping that someone knows the story (or stories) that I'm talking about.

A book away from an episode of hoarders (fidgit77) | 257 comments I'm thinking that it might have been someone like Bradbury but I'm not finding anything when I search his works. Either story ringing any bells?

A book away from an episode of hoarders (fidgit77) | 257 comments Still haven't found either story. :(

I'm thinking the 'boarding school' in the second story might be like a military school full of juvenile delinquents or something. Somewhere the kids won't be 'missed' after they get eaten.

Anything anyone recognizes?

A book away from an episode of hoarders (fidgit77) | 257 comments One more thing I remembered. In the first tale with the aliens, you don't know that the 'monsters' are just children until the very end of the story.

A book away from an episode of hoarders (fidgit77) | 257 comments Anna wrote: "Do you remember when you read it and when it might have been published? Was it in an anthology or a book of stories by one author?"

I read it around 2003 or so. I think it was an older book and I believe that it was an anthology but I'm not 100% sure about that.

message 7: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Curtis | 14 comments I read the book last year. It was new to the library so I assume 2010

A book away from an episode of hoarders (fidgit77) | 257 comments Vicki wrote: "I read the book last year. It was new to the library so I assume 2010"

You read the story too? Do you remember anything I've forgotten?

message 9: by A book away from an episode of hoarders (last edited Aug 24, 2011 11:04AM) (new)

A book away from an episode of hoarders (fidgit77) | 257 comments OMG! I finally found the first story in my query.

It's called The Underdweller by William F. Nolan.

“The Underdweller” by William F. Nolan. “The Underdweller” was originally published in 1957 as “Small World” in Fantastic Universe, but Nolan later revised the story—he expanded it significantly—and published it under the title “The Small World of Lewis Stillman,” and later still the title changed to the more familiar “The Underdweller.”

“The Underdweller” is a last man story. It features Lewis Stillman, the last man to survive an alien attack. He lives in the storm-drain system beneath Los Angeles, where he survives by stealth. The city streets teem with an unidentified menace; a menace that will surely kill Stillman if he is discovered. He is alone, lonely and desperately in search of not only survival, but also acceptance by a world that no longer exists.

Maybe now I can find out about the second story.

But we can move this to the solved folder now. :D