Contemporary Christian Fiction discussion

Book Discussions (Monthly) > Sept. June Bug/Spoiler

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishag) | 385 comments Mod
Please put all of your thoughts & reactions about June Bug here. Thanks!

message 2: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 3 comments I found the book Thursday in the used section at Gullions! I'm so excited to join in the discussion! I have to finish Meissner's "Seahorse in the Thames" first and then I shall begin Fabry's "June Bug"! Thanks for hosting this book!!

message 3: by Trish (new)

Deborah wrote: "I found the book Thursday in the used section at Gullions! I'm so excited to join in the discussion!..."

Lucky Duck! I'll start June Bug today or tomorrow. I'm going to get it on my Nook & I'm almost sure the price of the book went up in the last couple of days:( I'm glad you're planning on reading it! -Yeah:) Thanks!

message 4: by Barbara (last edited Sep 05, 2010 08:15PM) (new)

Barbara | 11 comments I just finished "June Bug" today, and I really enjoyed it. My opinion of her "dad" changed greatly as the story progressed, and the ending was satisfying. The character of Dana really angered me, yet I pitied her at the same time. It bothered me a little that they didn't seem to go looking for her when the details of what happened were revealed. That's one part I found a little unbelievable.
I would enjoy discussing it with anyone else who reads it.

message 5: by Trish (last edited Sep 10, 2010 05:48PM) (new)

I changed my mind & decided to wait on the library to save money instead of buying it on my Nook, so I'll be picking it up tomorrow. Here are some discussion questions in the mean time just to spark some conversation. Thanks!

From ChristianBook.com -June Bug believed everything her daddy told her. That is, until she walked into Walmart and saw her face on a list of missing children. The discovery begins aa quest for the truth about her father, the mother he rarely speaks about, and ultimately herself. A modern interpretation of Les Miserables, the story follows a dilapidated RV rambling cross-country with June Bug and her father, a man running from a haunted past. Forces beyond their control draw them back to Dogwood, West Virginia, down a winding path that will change their lives forever.

June Bug Discussion Questions: Chris Fabry

1. What is your first impression of the main character, June Bug?

2. At the beginning of the story, what did you think of John and his motivation for caring for June Bug? Does your view of him change throughout the novel? What would you have done in his situation?

3. What parallels/similarities did you see between John and Jean Valjean of Les Misérables?

4. Sheriff Hadley Preston is impressed with his wife’s spirituality but not enough to make him embrace her faith. What is holding him back? Do you think he will ever embrace her faith?

5. Do you think June Bug will ever meet her biological mother? Would you want her to? Why or why not?

6. Describe Mae’s hope for the safe return of Natalie. Is it a blind hope or one rooted in reality? How do Mae’s reactions and feelings differ from Leason’s and why?

7. How did you react to Mae’s relationship with her daughter, Dana? Would you have handled things differently if you were in Mae’s position?

8. June Bug meets several kindhearted people throughout the story—Sheila, the couple at the Arkansas farmhouse, Mrs. Linderman, Big Mac, the pastor, and the family at the water park. How do their actions demonstrate their faith? Of all the characters in the book, whose faith journey do you identify with the most?

9. What factors motivate John to return to Dogwood?

10. Every time Mae thinks of Natalie, Romans 8:28 comes to mind, even though she isn’t sure how the verse relates to her situation. Do you think the verse becomes clear to Mae later? Describe a time in your life when you’ve seen God work through a difficult situation.

11. At the end of the book, John uses the story of the june bug to explain to June Bug why things need to change for her. Do you think he made the right decision?

12. June Bug represents innocence. She is an “every girl.” If you could wrap your arms around her and tell her one thing, what would you say?

message 6: by Deborah (last edited Sep 11, 2010 06:35PM) (new)

Deborah | 3 comments I finished June Bug just a few minutes ago. The story was so good and so well-written; such a satisfying read. I love how most of it is written as if June is thinking out loud or talking to the reader.

Maybe Fabry left the part about the police not pursuing Dana open for the reader to wonder about on purpose, kind of like the following questions I'm left with: What will happen to June Bug once the grandparents are too old to care for her? Will she be grown then? Will John return? Does John go back and end up with Sheila? I think we're left with a lot of questions at the end, and yet it's a very satisfying end and I'm not sure I want to know the answers...I like that it ends with June Bug happy and safe, and John free to start anew.

Now I want to read Les Miserables. It's about 650 pages, and I wonder if it's as good as Fabry's retelling. Anybody have a comment about it?

message 7: by Heather (new)

Heather (hljourney) | 10 comments them not looking for Dana also bothered me... But in the back of June Bug was a cover for a new book called Dogwood, so I can only hope the story continues!?! I've ordered Dogwood as my next hold at the library as that's where um getting most of my books.

Barbara wrote: "I just finished "June Bug" today, and I really enjoyed it. My opinion of her "dad" changed greatly as the story progressed, and the ending was satisfying. The character of Dana really angered me, y..."

message 8: by Heather (new)

Heather (hljourney) | 10 comments Overall I love the way Fabry wrote... This story is intriguing, holding my attention wondering what was going to happen next! As a new reader of Christian Fiction I'm very pleased with this authors ability to get across worldly personalities without typing actual curse words used by the characters. I've come across too many authors that will still use the language in the writings.

I too appreciated how reading through this story was as June Bug was thinking or telling the story the whole time... The trust she put in the dad-John Johnson was wonderful. The way I see our heavenly Father wanting us to trust Him completely. Then as she gets older... Does her going to find her home show how sometimes we don't fully trust He'll do what's needed?

I too liked how this ended... Leaving so many questions, and desiring to know more. Looking forward to reading Dogwood!

message 9: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 3 comments Okay, now I have to have another book :-) What a shame (LOL) I had seen Dogwood but didn't realize it was possibly the sequel to June Bug - I love Chris Fabry's writing, so I can certainly read another of his books!

message 10: by Trish (new)

I liked it, but I would've enjoyed it more if I read through it faster. I wasn't really into it, so when I did get to it, I didn't give myself much time for reading. (It could've just been my life getting in the way, I'm not quite sure:)

I also bought Dogwood and intend to read it eventually because I'm curious what happens with all of the characters (mainly June Bug & John). The author just released Almost Heaven which is the third book in the series, but I'll have to see what I think after "Dogwood" before deciding to read it or not.

I've had Les Miserables on my TBR for a while, so I hope to get to it sometime this decade. Heehee!