Barnes & Noble Nook discussion

Nook - The Technical Side > Ebooks from Goodreads

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tai (new)

Tai (msglam) I just recently discovered that this site has free ebooks as well as ones for purchased that I couldn’t find on B&N website (I realized I may be late on my discovery but I’m super excited none the less…lol) My question is a 2-part question a.) Can these books be downloaded onto the Nook? b.) If so, how do I put them on my Nook (do they need to be converted)?

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (kiwismom95) | 4 comments I am not sure what format the ebooks are, but if the ebooks are published in one of Nooks acceptable formats (which is a lot) you can download the book to your computer than sideload it to your Nook using the USB attachment. Very easy. I have done it for Smashwords books, Sony books, etc.

Lori {Romancing the Dark Side} (romancingthedarkside) Where can we find these free ebooks on here?

message 4: by Tai (last edited Aug 30, 2010 01:40PM) (new)

Tai (msglam) @Lisa -Thanks I am going to try to save one to my computer and see what format it is.

@Lori - the link is below. But the manual way to find it is by clicking on "Find books" tab at the top on the screen and then clicking on the "ebooks" tab on the top right hand side on the screen.
Goodreads ebooks

Lori {Romancing the Dark Side} (romancingthedarkside) Thanks so much!

message 6: by Scott (new)

Scott | 292 comments I downloaded the Books of Blood by Clive Barker. They were in pdf format. Then I used Calibre to convert them to epub format and sideloaded them to my nook.

message 7: by Jes (new)

Jes (jesecho) Ohh thank you for this!

message 8: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Thanks,had no idea it was there. Great info!

message 9: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Masterson (zaphod717) Cool! Thanks, @Tai!

message 10: by Tai (new)

Tai (msglam) @ Scott - thanks I downloaded the books I was interested in and converted them using Calibre as you suggested.

Glad to see this information was useful to someone other than myself. :)

message 11: by Joy (new)

Joy Black (joyblack) | 1 comments I had no idea that was there either...now I've got an even bigger selection of books on my nook that are in the 'to read' category....I love it

message 12: by George (new)

George (compacta_d) | 14 comments I just saw this today on my own actually. You shouldn't need to convert pdfs; however, there seems to be trouble when sideloading them sometimes. I use Adobe Digital Editions as well as Calibre. Both work very well. All the books I've seen on this site are in both pdfs and epubs. No converting should be necessary for any of these but the programs I mentioned DEFINITELY help. ALSO you can select which ereader you own, and the site actually automatically shows you acceptable file types when you click the download button.

message 13: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer I just saw this thread! Thanks so much for the info... I had no idea! :)

message 14: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Nelson (jmnelson419) | 15 comments I just found this thread too, wow i had no idea! i'm so excited! :)

message 15: by Babbs (new)

Babbs (aebabbs) I posted a question in the "loading books to my nook" thread but thought I'd post it here as well, since I downloaded the books from goodreads after seeing this post (thanks for the heads up by the way!).

I've had my nook for a while now and haven't had any trouble loading books I download for free or borrowed from the library until today. I picked the epub file for several classics they have here on goodreads and transfered them to my nook library, but they aren't showing up. I "scanned for new content" and turned it off and back on again, but no luck?

Please tell me epub files I didn't purchase from B&N don't have to go in the "my documents" folder! I don't want TWO libraries!

message 16: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Q (jenny_q) | 34 comments Thank you so much for posting this! I had no idea Goodreads had ebooks!

Amanda, If the files have to be uploaded through Adobe Reader then they will appear in your My Documents folder. It's very easy to switch back and forth between them on your Nook. I have quite a few books in both libraries.

message 17: by Babbs (new)

Babbs (aebabbs) Jenny wrote: "Thank you so much for posting this! I had no idea Goodreads had ebooks!

Amanda, If the files have to be uploaded through Adobe Reader then they will appear in your My Documents folder. It's very..."

Thanks Jenny! I moved the files over to my documents and now they show up, but it's still annoying for me, as I'd like to have all my books in one place.

message 18: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Q (jenny_q) | 34 comments Maybe if enough people complain they'll do something about it for the next software update!

message 19: by Babbs (new)

Babbs (aebabbs) Jenny wrote: "Maybe if enough people complain they'll do something about it for the next software update!"

I'm hoping so too! Having two libraries is ridiculous, though the ability to edit folders in our documents is a step in the right direction it isn't good enough.