Between the Lines discussion

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) This is a fun topic, Fiona! My TBR is an absolute, out of control mess, as I'm sure is the case with just about everyone on GR! I joined GR at the end of December 2007 and the first book on my GR TBR was added on 1/4/2008. As of now I have 863 books listed. But that's just here on GR. I also have a couple of small notebooks and some Post-It notes strewn here and there, all containing the titles of books I'd like to read. At first I was good with making sure that I transferred the titles of the books from my notebooks/Post Its to my GR TBR list but then I got lazy.

I have no idea how many books I own or how many of them I haven't read, but it looks like a lot. I have books all over my house, on shelves, in piles and basically anywhere I can stick them. Once it gets cold and dreary here in IL (which most likely will be very soon) I plan on taking a few days and devoting them to a book reorganization project. This will involve gathering all my books, dumping them in the middle of my living room and sorting them into piles of books I've read and books I haven't. The books I've read will be stored on my basement bookcases and the books I have yet to read will stay upstairs. While sorting them I'm going to write down all of the titles I own, marking them read/unread. Once that's accomplished I'll create a spreadsheet. This will make it easy to add more books and move them from unread to read. I'm excited to see how many books I actually own.

message 2: by Vince (new)

Vince (vchile) | 33 comments Beth wrote: "This is a fun topic, Fiona! My TBR is an absolute, out of control mess, as I'm sure is the case with just about everyone on GR! I joined GR at the end of December 2007 and the first book on my GR..."

You can get started here on GR. Click on "books I own" under Bookswap on the "my books" page; you don't have to make any titles available for swapping, but you can check any owned title in the shelf lists you select. You're on your own on the moving books upstairs & down. :-)
One of the Listopia polls lets you list books you intend to read this year. I voted on those & created a new shelf for those titles. Keep it modest, there's only 4 months left.

message 3: by KrisT (new)

KrisT My tbr is scary at best. I try to read one off my pile and then keep up with library books and then back to one off my pile throughout the year. Alas, I am only up to 28 off my pile. The goal is to get enough read that I can justify going to the library books sale in the fall and buy more books.Ha

message 4: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) Thanks, Vince. I'll definitely do a "books I own" shelf on here once I get everything sorted out. Are you sure I can't convince you to come over and move the books for me? :-)

message 5: by Stuart (new)

Stuart (asfus) | 45 comments My TBR is getting large. I am guilty of letting it expand and expand simply because there are so many books that have sparked my interest, though I may only read a fraction of them.

message 6: by Alanna (new)

Alanna | 655 comments I know I have let my TBR shelf get out of hand with too many books. I don't think I will live long enough to read them all! I think I will blame Goodreads for this situation since I have found so many interesting books on this site. LOL I am thinking about prioritizing the books into different shelves so I can find and read the most interesting ones first. Maybe a TBR-must read, TBR-read next, and TBR-if I have time, but I may change these shelf titles.

message 7: by galya (new)

galya My shelves are pretty organized. :) But my TBR is very large, and it will take years to complete - and getting bigger every now and then.
Most of my books are from 1001 Books To Read Before You Die, and others are ones I just randomly found interesting or books that have been recommended.
This summer I was aiming at deleting one of my shelves - "Never finished", so I restearted and read more than half of the books!! Quite proud of myself.

message 8: by Vonney (new)

Vonney Young (ysgillen67) | 39 comments Fiona wrote: "What's your TBR looking like? What are the oldest books on your TBR?"

I thought my TBR shelf would disappear when I bought my Kindle, but, alas, it's worse than ever. I have given a lot of the books to my mom and to my sister, but I have a lot of books from authors on GR that aren't on my ereader, and books of poetry and prose from visiting authors to our bookclub, and it is really hard to pass by the bargain book bin at B&N or their table with the buy 2, get the 3rd free paperbacks, without stopping and giving a lot of thought to whether I need that book or not.

message 9: by Christine (new)

Christine (christinesey) My TBR list is 615 titles long. When I started with collection development in libraries I would read the journals and add titles that I thought looked interesting with every intention of going back later and weeding out the ones I didn't want to read. My thinking was that I didn't want to "forget" a title.

3 years later and my list is out of control. I think I need to do some major editing this weekend. It is just bad for my self-esteem knowing that I could never finish all of these books in my lifetime on top of the ones that I continue to add.

That's so depressing.

message 10: by Sandi (last edited Sep 03, 2010 09:18AM) (new)

Sandi | 4 comments My TBR is growing daily. First I am going through all my books (we're talking thousands) and selling tons of them online. Of course that means I am running across dozens and dozens that I purchased and never got around to reading so I have a case now dedicated to those books.

The really embarrassing thing is how many multiples of books I discovered I have. I mean 4 copies of Life of PI? Three Water for Elephants? Four copies of Lyall Watson's Gift of Unknown Things. Two copies of LOTS of books. Where did they all come from? What was I thinking?

My real undoing is that I recently volunteered to handle the book donations at a local thrift shop since I was taking them so many books that I can't sell for anything online. Talk about the fox watching the hen house! Every week I bring home more books. And it's not like I stop and ponder the titles or read the book descriptions. No, these are just books that I recognize as "books I've always wanted to read" so in my bag they go. This past week for example A Thousand Splendid Suns, Boy in the Striped Pajamas, Little Bee, Lime's Photograph, and The Heart is a Lonely Hunter all came in. What's a book lover to do?

message 11: by Vonney (new)

Vonney Young (ysgillen67) | 39 comments Sandi, start your own bookstore??? I have unknowingly bought duplicate copies of books also...and bread when I have 2 loaves in the freezer...and so many things that I've lost track. I'm 61, so I guess it might be the onset of dementia, but I've been doing it for 30 years. My Kindle and my Audible.com accounts have kept me pretty straight, so the duplicate thing vanished. I doubt I'll ever see the bottom of my TBR shelf especially since I have the Kindle that holds 3,500 books. I always look at my collection of books as boredom-insurance for when I retire. I've alread enlarged the type for real E-Z reading, and if I go blind, I have my Audible books.

message 12: by Vince (new)

Vince (vchile) | 33 comments Are we going to need a new 12-step thread? I'd rather have this problem than be the type who can't be bothered to read!
Vonney, as long as you're not finding books in the freezer with the bread, I think you'll be OK..

message 13: by Vonney (new)

Vonney Young (ysgillen67) | 39 comments Vince wrote: "Are we going to need a new 12-step thread? I'd rather have this problem than be the type who can't be bothered to read!
Vonney, as long as you're not finding books in the freezer with the bread, I..."

Vince, I so agree with you on non-readers. I don't even like to be in the same room with them. Thanks for calming my frayed nerves. I really get stressed over this forgetful thingy!

message 14: by Vince (new)

Vince (vchile) | 33 comments Vonney wrote: "Vince wrote: "Are we going to need a new 12-step thread? I'd rather have this problem than be the type who can't be bothered to read!
Vonney, as long as you're not finding books in the freezer wi..."

When you're in the home of a non-reader the absence of books is really off-putting; you know something is wrong, but can't put a finger on it. Then you realize there are no books lying about. That's when I keep an eye open for the pods.

message 15: by Alisha Marie (new)

Alisha Marie (endlesswonderofreading) My physical TBR is out of control! For some reason, I can't get the number down. It's been at 400 for a while, not counting e-books. Now I'm down to 396, but the library sale is next Saturday and of course I'm going. So, it'll be up to 400+ again soon.

As for the oldest in my TBR pile, I had acquired books through a library sale (they are my undoing) and input them on Goodreads the same day. But the first ones that always pop up are Wicked and The Historian. I have no idea when I'm going to get to them. I want to read all my shiny new books first. However, I am getting good at alternating an "old" book and then a "new" book.

message 16: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melitious) I have about 355 on my tbr. But, my mental tbr is much higher than that. There are a lot of books that I know I want to read that I haven't bothered putting on my shelf. The oldest book on my tbr is 1000 places to see before you die -- added 9/34/2007.

message 17: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 139 comments 663! Yikes! What's sad is that it doesn't even include all the books I have in my home waiting to be read. Link to it is http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/...

message 18: by Christine (new)

Christine (christinesey) As of today I'm at 710 titles.

Ouch. I think I need to slim that up a bit :)