Drizzt Do Urden discussion

Reading Order

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wendes (last edited Aug 27, 2010 02:43PM) (new)

Wendes | 3 comments Hi, new RAS reader, and I'm really interested in the world and the characters but I'm wondering where to start.

A bit confused about the reading order. I know The Dark Elf Trilogy is a prequel to The Icewind Dale Trilogy but I hear a lot of people say that I should start with the Icewind Dale trilogy since that's were Drizzt was first introduced and it would spoil the mystery of his character if you read Homeland first.

So newbie here and I'm wondering if anyone can help me out on where to start

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael Dolan | 48 comments I would start with the dark elf trilogy. then Icewind dale, legacy of the drow, paths of darkness, the sellswords, the hunter's blades, and the transitions. Someone tell me if I missed anything.

message 3: by Kataury (new)

Kataury Eh, I'd just hop in wherever you want. Icewind Dale is a lot more... light and adventurous. But Dark Elf is a lot more complex and deep. Whichever would suit your tastes.

message 4: by Wendes (new)

Wendes | 3 comments Thanks everyone!!! That's really helpful :D

message 5: by Jason (new)

Jason Bright (jasonbright000) | 1 comments You really should read the books in the order they were published... that way you can't cheat your way through the stories. Most of the comments that the character makes refereces other books that have come before.

message 6: by Stephen light (new)

Stephen light | 62 comments I gotta say, when i first read the drizzt books i bought the icewind dale trilogy first by happenstance and then went back and continued from there. But what i am getting at is that start with Icewind dale trilogy because it really does start the whole Drizzt books.... it just is, in my opinion, alot better. Because then alot of questions are answered and it just makes it alot more enjoyable!

message 7: by Becki (new)

Becki | 2 comments I read them in Chronological Order :)

Icewind Dale Trilogy (1988-90)
Dark Elf Trilogy (1990-91)
Drizzt & Company (1993-96)
Paths of Darkness (1998-2001)
The Hunters Blades (2002-04)
Transitions (2007-09)

I personally was glad I read Icewind Dale before the Dark Elf Series. Sellswords Series (2005-06) and Cleric Quintet (2002) are "other" books that you can read if you want. Drizzt and the gang aren't in them, but they aren't bad reads. :)

message 8: by Stephen light (new)

Stephen light | 62 comments I like Sellswords and cleric quintet personally. I thought they really added to those side characters and make you connect more with them.

message 9: by Wendes (new)

Wendes | 3 comments Who are the central characters?

message 10: by Becki (new)

Becki | 2 comments Gróin (StEpHeN) wrote: "I like Sellswords and cleric quintet personally. I thought they really added to those side characters and make you connect more with them."

I agree, I liked them as well. All this talk makes me want to go back and read them all again :P

message 11: by Kataury (new)

Kataury The biggest main character is Drizzt. But there are other main characters that are introduced later on in the series.

message 12: by Stephen light (new)

Stephen light | 62 comments Oh this made me pick up one of the books, randomly flit through the pages and read, and be able to remember it all!