Happily Ever After Cafe discussion

HEA in Literature > When or When Not To

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments I'm reading Wild Heat by Bella Andre and it occurs to me that some authors don't really think it through nearly enough before they throw that inappropriate timed sex scene in. I love a good sex scene as well as any but seriously, guys/gals, doncha think if your truck just got blown up you'd be on the phone to the appropriate people not having sex?

Or what about the ones that leave the hospital, even though the doctors don't approve of it and then they go off having hot monkey sex with a bullet hole in them or cracked ribs or something?

Can you think of any more inappropriately timed sex scenes?

message 2: by Auntee (new)

Auntee | 100 comments I just read one in Suzanne Brockmann's Infamous where the hero and heroine were driving along and their brakes gave out (were tampered with by someone out to kill them), they made a harrowing trip down a winding road, crashed into a fence, barely survived, and proceeded to have sex in the backseat immediately afterward.

message 3: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Auntee wrote: "I just read one in Suzanne Brockmann's Infamous where the hero and heroine were driving along and their brakes gave out (were tampered with by someone out to kill them), they made a ..."

OMG!!!! lol. that's just pathetic.

message 4: by Lani (new)

Lani (lani14) | 8 comments I know what you mean. I was reading something cheap and easy. I forget the name but the heroine saved the hero from a drug bust gone wrong, takes a bullet for him, busts her ribs and a lung. Guess what the first thing she wants from him when she wakes up from her coma? In the hospital bed?! Good thing that trash was free. I sent it to the recycle bin.

I'm not a prude but give me a break. Timing is everything.

message 5: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Lani wrote: "I know what you mean. I was reading something cheap and easy. I forget the name but the heroine saved the hero from a drug bust gone wrong, takes a bullet for him, busts her ribs and a lung. Guess ..."

Yes, timing is everything. These authors need to take to time and think it through a little better. If you got to sneak a sex scene in at least find an appropriate time and place...

message 6: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Naughty Co-Mod (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 1922 comments I read Shoot to Thrill and the hero and heroine have barely escaped being blown up in a plane and are now running for their lives from some terrorists. They find a tiny cave to hide in and start bucking like funnies! Man, they are goin' at it! I still liked the book, but wow... that one had me ***rolling my eyes***

message 7: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "I read Shoot to Thrill and the hero and heroine have barely escaped being blown up in a plane and are now running for their lives from some terrorists. They find a tiny cave to hide ..."

lol, yes, there were a few questionable scenes in that series but I did like em.

message 8: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments So when is a sex scene ok?

I'd say it is fine when they get to where they are going and are "safe" for the moment. Or when they have had time to recuperate enough to be believable. In the traditional places, such as at home. In a bed is fine but not a hospital bed, with an IV sticking out of you...

message 9: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Naughty Co-Mod (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 1922 comments LOL! I've read some hot scenes that took place in a hospital bed - think Wrath and Beth! So even then it's ok in my book...

For me, I want to know that it will propel the relationship to a HEA ending. I really don't like gratuitous sex just for the sake of 'getting off' unless the H/h end up together.

message 10: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (last edited Sep 28, 2010 10:15AM) (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments I agree. To me it's more about the romance that leads to the HEA than the sex. And to me if the story evolves around circumstances that limit the opportunity for a good "love"/sex scene then I can live without it.

message 11: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Naughty Co-Mod (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 1922 comments Yes, I hate it when it feels like a scene was tossed in there because the publisher required 2 blowjobs, 1 hand job and 4.5 orgasms by the heroine.

message 12: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments lol... so that's whats on the required list.

message 13: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Naughty Co-Mod (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 1922 comments In some cases, it seems like it's worse! LOL

message 14: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (ghemomma) | 30 comments UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Yes, I hate it when it feels like a scene was tossed in there because the publisher required 2 blowjobs, 1 hand job and 4.5 orgasms by the heroine."

Poor chit.. only 1/2 of an orgasm??

message 15: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Naughty Co-Mod (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 1922 comments Cheryl wrote: "Poor chit.. only 1/2 of an orgasm??
"

Indeed. Damn publishers.

message 16: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (ghemomma) | 30 comments :)

message 17: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments lol, I think I read one of those 1/2's before.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 146 comments I don't like the 'sex breaks' very much. They annoy me because I start thinking the H/h are pretty dumb to risk their life just to have some hot sex. I think that it's understandable that escaping a life-threatening situation would get the hormones going, but I like to see it when they are safe, and at an appropriate time, and neither character is half-dead.

message 19: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments lol, I just read Bella Andre's 2nd book in the Men of Fire series Hot as Sin (Hot Shots Men of Fire #2) by Bella Andre

The heroine was in a car accident and is released from the hospital and almost immediately they go hiking through the woods to find her sister. Needless to say the required sex scenes occur shortly after...

message 20: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. I just read Seduced by the Storm and the main characters are constantly having sex while stuff is happening all around them. In a supply closet while people are walking by looking for them, etc. And of course they have the orgasms that usually have them shouting to the moon because they can't help it but this time they can keep it down. Hmmmm....

message 21: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments haha, I know what you mean. I laugh at the scenes where they are suppose to be quiet and there are paper thin walls and yet no one hears them? Come on!!! I know better.