The Bronze Horseman discussion

The Books > Question...

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bethany (last edited Aug 26, 2010 07:06PM) (new)

Bethany | 16 comments I just finished TBH and I never did figure out who or what Orbeli is...what did Alexander mean by that?

message 2: by Mishelle (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) Orbelli, was the museum director, they saw trying to save all the priceless art, by removing it from areas of war. Meaning, Alexander, did what he did, to remove her from Russia, knowing, she would never leave, if she knew he was still alive.

message 3: by Mishelle (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) Shit! Maybe I shouldn't have said anything, was that explained in Tatiana and Alexander? I can't remember...

message 4: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 16 comments Ahhh...thanks so much!

message 5: by Mishelle (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) No problem, I didn't get it either, then my friend pointed it out to me too.

message 6: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 16 comments That's okay...I finished the book today and I was so sad when I came to the last page. I joined this group today just to ask this question and I had no idea there was another book until I found this group. Already went to B&N and bought it, very stoked to start reading it!

message 7: by Mishelle (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) Oh, well... Welcome to the obsession that is Tatiana and Alexander. Didya order 'The Summer Garden', aswell?

message 8: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 16 comments No...is that apart of the series?

message 9: by Mishelle (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) Yes, its the 3rd and final book.

message 10: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 16 comments Shut up. 3 Books...woo hoo! :) I didn't see another book by Paulina Simons at Barnes & Noble, so I guess I will have to order it.

message 11: by Mishelle (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) Its being re-released. You'd have to order it from Amazon, if you want it right away. Otherwise, I believe the new release is January.

message 12: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 16 comments Oh ok. Thanks so much for the information! :)

message 13: by Mishelle (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) Anytime...

message 14: by Alycia (new)

Alycia | 549 comments Mod
I am pretty sure that was all revealed in T & A just like Shell said.

Welcome to the group Bethany! :)

message 15: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 637 comments For me Orbeli represented hope for a future. Saving the art for the future when peace is achieved. In that Alexander wanted to save Tatiana from War and send her off to find peace. Like the Art it represents the past and what we should never forget and by saying Orbeli, Alexander is asking her to never forget what they had but to look for peace.

Anyway that's how I interpreted it to be.

message 16: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 183 comments I interpreted it to be that Alexander was saving Tatiana, but she must have faith and know that he will find her (or they will find each other) when there is peace. I also think he was remembering Orbeli's distress and heartbreak at shipping off his art, and that's how Alexander feels saying goodbye to Tatiana to save her.

message 17: by Moni (new)

Moni | 79 comments Jessica, I am total agreement with you on this.

message 18: by Megan (new)

Megan | 410 comments For me I think Alexander was making an analogy to how he was feeling that was cryptic enough to not put her in immediate danger so that she wouldn't suspect anything and would go on to escape Russia, but at the same time knowing her nature, he gave her something which in time she would interpret what he said as a message that she would have to go back and rescue him - something so specific that only the two of them would understand the hidden meaning behind the name. I didn't realise that Orbeli actually was the curator of the Hermitage at the time until I looked him up on Wikipedia - goes to show how detailed Paullina Simons was in threading fact into fiction.

message 19: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 637 comments Jessica wrote: "I interpreted it to be that Alexander was saving Tatiana, but she must have faith and know that he will find her (or they will find each other) when there is peace. I also think he was remembering ..."

:-) yes, that too! I just love him!

message 20: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 637 comments Orbeli.....sigh......hope, peace, love!
I feel the need for a reread!

message 21: by Moni (new)

Moni | 79 comments Her one word, something for just her, something for her to hold on to for faith... he knew she would figure it all out.. yes it's crazy how in his one word there was so much meaning.. not just to her but to all of us reading it. All of us taking that one word and reading into it.. feeling it our own way... Paullina is amazing!

message 22: by Moni (new)

Moni | 79 comments Kelly wrote: "Orbeli.....sigh......hope, peace, love!
I feel the need for a reread!"

Oh Kelly, lol, I re-read TBH like 5 times..lol I was so in love with it. I bought it for my step daughter in collage and have made all my friends read it. They all adore it... I say YES read on sister.. Who could ever get tired of Alexander.. of their love..

message 23: by Moni (new)

Moni | 79 comments Damn typos..that's supposed to be college..lol

message 24: by Lady (new)

Lady England | 39 comments Alycia wrote: "I am pretty sure that was all revealed in T & A just like Shell said.

Welcome to the group Bethany! :)"

I love what you said about saving Tatiana from war and the past and hope for the future. Just like the precious art that Orbeli was saving and protecting. Sometimes you have to give up the very thing that you love the most in order to save and preserve it. Alexander selflessly gave up Tatiana for a future in America, thinking that he would never see her again. I just love this story of hope, eternal love and undying perserverence and devotion.

message 25: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 16 comments Thanks everyone for your input. Yes, Orbeli was revealed in T&A. I just finished the book today and I was a little disappointed. Once Alexander is finally reunited with Tatiana he doesn't seem to be acting like himself at all, I guess the war got the best of him. Hoping the third book will be better.

message 26: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 637 comments Bethany wrote: "Thanks everyone for your input. Yes, Orbeli was revealed in T&A. I just finished the book today and I was a little disappointed. Once Alexander is finally reunited with Tatiana he doesn't seem to b..."

Don't want to give anything away Bethany but I want you to go into the book with the right mind set.

Alexander is extremely altered from the war and I don't think you can ever be the same person after the things he has done and seen.

TSG is my favorite of the series and the hardest for me to read.

Good luck hope you enjoy it.

message 27: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 637 comments Not really a question.

I am currently rereading T&A and have just read Alexanders account of all the girls he has been with. Also read about him and Dasha when they first met!!! GRRRRRRRRR.....

I just don't want to think of him like that puts me right back to Carmen!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why do I feel so betrayed!? LOL

message 28: by Alycia (new)

Because you love him and don't want to think of him as anything else but Tatiana's man! I really need to do a reread of the series. I have forgotten so much it seems when others make comments!

message 29: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 637 comments Alycia wrote: "Because you love him and don't want to think of him as anything else but Tatiana's man! I really need to do a reread of the series. I have forgotten so much it seems when others make comments!"

I can't wait for the reread of TBH it is Rach's pick. Not sure what month.
:-)

message 30: by Alycia (new)

Kelly wrote: "Alycia wrote: "Because you love him and don't want to think of him as anything else but Tatiana's man! I really need to do a reread of the series. I have forgotten so much it seems when others make..."

December