Audiobooks discussion

Archives > How to Decide What to Listen to Next

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 420 comments I'm sitting on two Audible credits and I have 32 books in my wish list. How am I supposed to decide what to listen to next???? I am trying to base some part of my decision on how much the ebook would cost for my Nook. It doesn't make sense to use $11 worth of credit for a book that only costs $6 on the Nook.

message 2: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3643 comments I decide by varying the details of the next book as much as possible, for instance, after an American mystery series narrated by a female, I might select a British non-fiction read by a male.
I refuse to spend an $11 credit for much under $10 "retail", and only then if I can convince myself that the click-and-download convenience is really worth a dollar or so extra.

message 3: by Dacia (new)

Dacia | 59 comments Also, be careful on audible. Some books, with your discount, cost less than your credits. Just buy those outright, and you still get the "click and download" convenience.

A big factor for me, in spending my credits, is if it's something I'm going to "re-read". I usually only spend my audible credits on something I know I'm going to listen to more than once. However, there are also a few books I really want to listen to that I can't get at the library. I use audible for those as well.

message 4: by Sandi (last edited Aug 27, 2010 02:36PM) (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 420 comments Dacia wrote: "Also, be careful on audible. Some books, with your discount, cost less than your credits. Just buy those outright, and you still get the "click and download" convenience."

I used to sort my wish list by price and only look at the highest priced books when choosing what to spend my credits on. You can't sort it by anything other than title or date added anymore.

I use items under $12.00 on my wish list to fill in between credits.

For the record, I got something that wasn't even on my wish list, The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements. It's a surprisingly easy and fun listen considering the subject matter and the narrator is very good.

message 5: by Stef (new)

Stef (firecat) | 43 comments Sandi, you can't sort the wish list any more? That's very annoying!

From my Audible notes file:
Use credits on longer books first.
Use credits on more expensive books first.
My 24 book membership works out to $9.56 per credit.
Use credits on books more than $9.56, use $ otherwise.
For 15% off sale, buy books between $9.56 and $11.25 using $
For 20% off sale, buy books between $9.56 and $11.95 using $

message 6: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3643 comments Between my public library's books-on-CD and download-able books, I have to look around for ways to use my credits some months when they start backing up. I think right now there are only two or three books I could think of to put on an Amazon list.

message 7: by Jolie (new)

Jolie (joliegirl) | 9 comments I am re-visiting old favourites! I am listening to my 2 favourite Stephen King books, The Talisman & Eyes of the Dragon.

message 8: by Susan (new)

Susan (susieq69) | 14 comments I work at a library. My husband and I also go to a few other local libraries, and we still visit bookstores. When I don't already have things waiting for me from some library, I usually stumble across something on here or, heaven forbid, actually look at my extensive "to read" list. When I'm nowhere near a computer, it's funny how different things just catch my eye. I also use Book Pages (free mag at library)to see what's coming out soon.

message 9: by Richhenz (new)

Richhenz | 3 comments Hi. I'm a self-published narrator of Mark Twain audiobooks, The Mark Twain In Person Audiobook Library. I publish a new book every two months or so, and am always looking for volunteers who'd like to have a preview of an unpublished audiobook in return for your honest reaction to my work. I have can send your exclusive link to your regular email address. You can then load it onto your ipod, iphone, mp3 player, or audio disks. Thanks to all for you interest in and support for audiobooks! Happy Listening.
Richard Henzel
richardhenzel.com/marktwain

message 10: by Susan (new)

Susan (susieq69) | 14 comments I for one am Very interested. I listen to audiobooks more than I get to actually read, and I've heard my fair share of awful narrators. I'd love to have the opportunity to critique. Had someone done this with the awful ones, perhaps they could have improved and got it right.

message 11: by Richhenz (new)

Richhenz | 3 comments Susan wrote: "I for one am Very interested.

Hi Susan,

Just send your email address to me: richard@richardhenzel.com and I'll send you a preview of Is Shakespeare Dead? due out in September... It's not very long, only 2h43m; I may end up combining it with one or two other short books, probably What Is Man? and Death of Jean, which are both also "in the can" except for jacket design and liner notes.

message 12: by Serena_v (new)

Serena_v | 51 comments Sandi wrote: "I got something that wasn't even on my wish list, The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements.. ..."

Funny, that's the same title I just chose for my August credit, before coming to read these boards. So far so good!!

Should we start a new topic called "How did you spend your credit(s) this month? I for one would be interested in seeing what other people are buying through Audible.

I too just got a Nook and really like it. I've read on my Palm Pilot for years, and listened to copy protected audio too. But finally got tired of the glare problem outdoors and got the Nook. I hope eventually it will be altered to allow for protected audio content, then it would be perfect.

When there's a title I'm interested in, I check my library's web site to see if it's available as a download, and/or on cds. If it's downloadable I'll grab it that way (or add it to my list for later). Sometimes I will get on the waiting list for the CDs, if there aren't too many discs or an unreasonably long list. Library discs tend to be damaged - and like John said it's usually the last disc, which is maddening. Anyway, then to buy it from Audible it's usually the customer ratings, from their site and from Amazon, that help me decide, also factoring in book length and suggested price. I agree with everyone else about not using credits for something that costs less than a credit is worth. Also agree with Dacia in generally choosing something I would read more than once, and for me they are also often non-fiction titles I can listen to while going in and out of sleep.

message 13: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3643 comments I, too, just got an e-reader (Sony 505) , Serena. I wouldn't use its mp3 audio feature for actual books (audio really drains the battery fast I understand), but I have added some podcasts.

As for bad library discs, I've been known to record the bad tracks separately manually (real time) if they won't rip.

The reviews on Disappearing Spoon have been mixed so I've held off reading it, but since it seems so popular I might well reconsider if folks say they really liked it.

message 14: by Serena_v (new)

Serena_v | 51 comments John wrote: "I, too, just got an e-reader (Sony 505) , Serena. I wouldn't use its mp3 audio feature for actual books (audio really drains the battery fast I understand), but I have added some podcasts..."

That's a great idea, adding podcasts. I wouldn't use the e-reader as an mp3 book player as a rule, but like to have that option if I'm stuck somewhere with only the e-reader. My best friend snores like a freight train but lives near my work, so if I stay overnight I like to have the option of balancing a speaker on my ear while trying to fall asleep. Boy am I addicted to electronics! On a side note, I haven't seen my e-reader since my teenager discovered most of the Terry Pratchett Discworld series available for download from the library.

Usually I'll only get the cd version from the library if it's something I'm going to listen to right away. Too many disappointments in burning things for later only to find parts of it corrupted.

I'll post a review for Disappearing Spoons, I have a few ahead of it right now. The bit I previewed seems promising.

message 15: by Addie (new)

Addie (addiemon) | 4 comments I am distressingly near the end of The Green Mile and I have an Audible credit waiting for me. Where to next?

message 16: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 61 comments I picked up Anthony Bourdain's latest Medium Raw because I was itching to use my credit and I enjoyed Kitchen Confidential. It's good, it's fun and he is one seriously sick dude but that's endearing. The odd thing is I'm not really that interested in food.

message 17: by Karlton (new)

Karlton (karltonst) | 54 comments Addie wrote: "I am distressingly near the end of The Green Mile and I have an Audible credit waiting for me. Where to next?"

I know the feeling - I mourned a little bit the closer I got to the end of each book in the Lonesome Dove series.

message 18: by Addie (new)

Addie (addiemon) | 4 comments Karlton wrote: "Addie wrote: "I am distressingly near the end of The Green Mile and I have an Audible credit waiting for me. Where to next?"

I know the feeling - I mourned a little bit the closer I got to the e..."

It's sort of like letting a visiting friend go, but at least I can always go back and see them :) I wound up picking up an audiobook of something else on my to-read list, The Enchantress of Florence. It's a rather expensive audiobook so I thought it'd be the most practical choice for using my Audible credit; it'll be my first Rushdie book, too. :)

message 19: by MissSusie (last edited Sep 14, 2010 01:16PM) (new)

MissSusie | 1943 comments Serena_v said Should we start a new topic called "How did you spend your credit(s) this month? I for one would be interested in seeing what other people are buying through Audible.

I'm new to this group here but I belong to audiobook community . I think that would be really fun to see what people are using their Audible credits on. I also go by price when deciding if its under $10 I won't waste a credit on it.

This month I I got Jamaica Inn by, Daphne Du Maurier and Lingerby, Maggie Stiefvater

message 20: by Addie (new)

Addie (addiemon) | 4 comments Susie wrote: " Serena_v said Should we start a new topic called "How did you spend your credit(s) this month? I for one would be interested in seeing what other people are buying through Audible.

I'm new to t..."

I'm also relatively new to audiobooks and get 1 credit per month on Audible. I usually go through 1-2 books a month, so I'm planning go back and forth between an expensive ($15+) title and a less-expensive title...though early on I didn't always do that. :)

So far my library includes The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (read by Stephen Fry), Jurassic Park, Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, and The Enchantress of Florence...though I still haven't started the last :)

message 21: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 1943 comments Hitchikers Guide is great but I will warn you that after the first one the rest are read by Martin Freeman he does a good job but I enjoyed Stephen Fry more.

message 22: by Janet (new)

Janet On Sunday I used a credit to buy Kings of the Earth. I finished it this morning...it's THAT good!

message 23: by Addie (new)

Addie (addiemon) | 4 comments Susie wrote: "Hitchikers Guide is great but I will warn you that after the first one the rest are read by Martin Freeman he does a good job but I enjoyed Stephen Fry more."

I knew that getting into it, and it's tragic-- Stephen Fry is amazing. I haven't bothered with the Martin Freeman audiobooks as I was reading the rest in print...I say "was" because I sort of trailed off there in the second half of #4. ^^

message 24: by Alan (new)

Alan | 6 comments My overdrive wishlist has over two hundred books and I can't even imagine how long my audible.com wishlist is. Problem is I have so many titles already on my players and it takes me so long to get through a book that I am completely backlogged. I don't think I will get through my lists in my lifetime.

message 25: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 575 comments I can tell you what I'm listening to next! Audible has just made available for the first time in audio Stormwarden by Janny Wurts and I snatched it up and will start listening on my way to work! Can't wait!

message 26: by Javasapien (new)

Javasapien | 272 comments Susie wrote: I'm new to this group here but I belong to audiobook community .

Hi Susie,
What is "audiobook community"? Can you provide more info?

I'd probably follow and participate in a "How did you spend your credit this month" topic.

Lynn

message 27: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 1943 comments The audiobook community is a neat place because its not just fans but narrators & publishers too talking about audiobooks.

http://www.audiobookcommunity.com/

sometimes the discussion is a little slow but I think the more people that know about it it will pick up.

message 28: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 1943 comments Decisions Decisions..What to Listen to next??
The Angel Experiment or Little Bee

Can anyone recommend either of these?

message 29: by Javasapien (new)

Javasapien | 272 comments Susie, thanks for the info on audiobookcommunity.com!

message 30: by Serena_v (new)

Serena_v | 51 comments Susie wrote: "Decisions Decisions..What to Listen to next??
The Angel Experiment or Little Bee

Can anyone recommend either of these?"

I read Little Bee as an e-book, and liked it, but don't know anything about the audio version of either. So, sorry - not much help.