JustAdventure+ Book Group discussion

Steven Brust - Vlad Taltos

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Traveller (last edited Aug 26, 2010 11:42AM) (new)

Traveller (moontravlr) | 80 comments Mod
Hi, Elvet, I was wondering why you hadn't liked Vlad Taltos # 8. I hope that doesn't spell anything bad for the series, since I had already ordered # 1 when I saw how much you seemed to like the series.

Is this one of those series that seem to never end, or are the books at least self-contained to some extent?

message 2: by Elvet (new)

Elvet | 41 comments There are going to be 17 books, as I understand it. Each for one of the 17 Dragaerean Houses. Each book has a self contained story highlighting the peculiar attributes of the House in question. Through the stories, many characters remain constant and there is a larger story unfolding. I realy like Vlad as a character. He evolves through the books, and becmes more complex. I also like the familiarity of the world, and the 1st person POV.
The reason I gave Dragon a lower score is that chronologically, it was an earlier story, and I like to read things in an ordered timeline, even if they were published later. Having said that, I think that anyone starting the series should start with the 1st published book - Jhereg - to see if they like the style. There are often modern day phrases and quirks of dialogue that may be jolting if that sort of thing bothers you in a medieval setting.

message 3: by Traveller (last edited Aug 27, 2010 05:59AM) (new)

Traveller (moontravlr) | 80 comments Mod
Thanks for all that feedback, Elvet! I already got myself the first book, Jhereg, but 17 instalments is a bit much for me for a series, so I'm glad to hear that they are quite self-contained.

..and I'll be sure to consult you about the correct order when I get close to # 5 or 6! :D