Software Engineering discussion

Beautiful Code > Code in Motion

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brad (new)

Brad (bradrubin) | 264 comments Mod
I immediately resonated with the opening discussion about this book covering more architecture than code!

I wish this chapter was longer. I don't see a lot of material on coding style. Although many teams agree on guidelines amongst themselves, our profession seems to have no Elements of Style equivalent. There are, however, endless flamewars on this topic (curly brace placement preferences, anyone?). Maybe the passonate debates and varying opinions inhibit this kind of material, but even seeing summaries of the pros/cons debates would be interesting. BTW, I like my == aligned in successive lines :)

The DiffMerge code base analysis was also interesting. Code base retrospectives, driven by key metrics, are rare yet valuable studies.

message 2: by Erik (new)

Erik | 165 comments I've worked for a few different companies. They each seem to have different coding standards. I know I have my own personal code format habbits. IDEs suggest a standard too. (Automatic curly brace placement, line indents, comment sections, etc...)

If I'm fixing bugs or enhancing existing code, I try to change my coding style to match the existing code. This gives it some consistency for the next reader. Basic readability is important, but consistency is important too.

The coding standard discussion in to DiffMerge transition was done well.