The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

530 views
GENERAL HELP > GR & SRC Tips & Links

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17576 comments Mod
Goodreads has added the ability to mark spoilers. Here's the blog post that gives the details.

You can see all the formatting that works in posts by clicking on "some html is ok" at the upper right of the post box.


message 2: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Kavanagh Hi! Just wondering if anybody knows how to change the edition they are reading without having to delete and re add? I noticed last night when I posted an update that the page count of my book was wrong and when I checked the ISBN its different. This happens all the time to me as I just add books to my tbr as I think of them but then when I buy them they are never the same edition/cover.


message 3: by Kayleigh (new)

Kayleigh Creates (kayleigh_creates) | 315 comments Tracy wrote: "Hi! Just wondering if anybody knows how to change the edition they are reading without having to delete and re add? I noticed last night when I posted an update that the page count of my book was w..."

If you bring up the right edition, near the middle where it list your review info there should be a "switch to this edition" link right next to the My review.
Hope that helps:)


message 4: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Kavanagh Thanks, yes it does!


message 5: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3923 comments Tracy, I also add books to my TBR when I see one I think that I would like to read and then frequently find the library book I borrow has a different ISBN. So, when I get the library book in hand, I enter the ISBN in the search field and then switch the edition if it is different. Do it all the time!


message 6: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments I know at one point we had a task that we had to read books written by the same author under 2 different pen names such as Nora Roberts/ J.D. Robb. and I know we had a whole list of them. Does anyone happen to know where that is? I've been looking around and can't seem to come up with it. Thanks


message 7: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth_greece) | 1183 comments Sheila wrote: "I know at one point we had a task that we had to read books written by the same author under 2 different pen names such as Nora Roberts/ J.D. Robb. and I know we had a whole list of them. Does an..."

Sheila here is the only list I've seen: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...


message 8: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Sheila wrote: "I know at one point we had a task that we had to read books written by the same author under 2 different pen names such as Nora Roberts/ J.D. Robb. and I know we had a whole list of..."

Thanks, that helps. I thought we had something more extensive than that though. Maybe not.


message 9: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7577 comments I remember that task, just not the season...maybe like this time last year...


message 10: by Kate S (new)

Kate S Try this one, Sheila: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/5...

from Summer 2011


message 11: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth_greece) | 1183 comments Sheila wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "Sheila wrote: "I know at one point we had a task that we had to read books written by the same author under 2 different pen names such as Nora Roberts/ J.D. Robb. and I know we h..."

Sheila maybe this will help:
http://www.rtconvention.com/2013-auth...


message 12: by Sheila (last edited Aug 04, 2013 02:07PM) (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments Kate S wrote: "Try this one, Sheila: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/5...

from Summer 2011"


Man is this embarrassing - IT WAS MY OWN TASK!!!!


message 13: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7577 comments lol...funnily enough, when you asked the question, I wondered if it was yours...because I remembered you did an author one and a series one (two series by same author; at least one had to be first in series)


message 14: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments Dee wrote: "lol...funnily enough, when you asked the question, I wondered if it was yours...because I remembered you did an author one and a series one (two series by same author; at least one had to be first ..."

At least I am now at the age where I can call brain farts like this - "Senior Moments"


message 15: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1545 comments Does anyone know if it's possible to do a search within a search on goodreads? For example, can I search within a genre for a book title or author? Can I search for books that are in 'genre a' AND 'genre b'? Can I search within a particular shelf or list for something? thanks :)


message 16: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7577 comments you can search for books that are on your multiple shelves in your profile , but not as a general search or list


message 17: by Lindsey (last edited Dec 03, 2014 03:33PM) (new)

Lindsey (_lindsey_) | 395 comments I really wish GoodReads would work on a good advanced search for both books and author profiles. Sometimes using Google can help you find what you need. Just add "site:goodreads.com" without the quotes onto the end of your search.


message 18: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (balletbookworm) | 947 comments Lindsey wrote: "I really wish GoodReads would work on a good advanced search for both books and author profiles. Sometimes using Google can help you find what you need. Just add "site:goodreads.com" without the qu..."

Agree so much, Lindsey. That is one thing this site has consistently lacked even as they "improve" other areas.


message 19: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (_lindsey_) | 395 comments It would sure make finding books for certain tasks a bit easier :)


back to top