Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

Historical Romance > The rake, the rogue, or the highlander?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Which is your favorite historical romance hero type?

message 2: by Gigi, Moderator (new)

Gigi | 833 comments LOL!!Can I say all 3?!?! LOL

message 3: by Michelle (last edited Aug 25, 2010 08:26PM) (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments I was wondering what the difference was between a rake and rogue when I found this definition for a rake on the web:

"A rake, short for rakehell, is a historic term applied to a man who is habituated to immoral conduct, frequently a heartless womaniser. Often a rake was a man who wasted his (usually inherited) fortune on gambling, wine, women and song, incurring lavish debts in the process."

And a rogue, from what I gather, is a deceitful person, or a scoundrel that circulates in high society.

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Gigi wrote: "LOL!!Can I say all 3?!?! LOL"

That's what I was thinking too, LOL! But then I thought about Jamie Fraser from Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series, and I'm a highlander girl!

message 5: by Gigi, Moderator (new)

Gigi | 833 comments Michelle wrote: "Gigi wrote: "LOL!!Can I say all 3?!?! LOL"

That's what I was thinking too, LOL! But then I thought about Jamie Fraser from Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series, and I'm a highlander girl!"

LOL! Well, when you put it that way!! LOL Maybe Highlanders may have a slight edge over the other 2 for me. A rogue may be third, but you've heard the saying about reformed rakes making the best husbands. I guess my preference would be 1) Highlanders 2) Rakes and 3) Rogues

message 6: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments This is a TOUGH one! Overall it depends on the writer. I don't like some rakes authors write, and love others that different authors write. So for me, overall I'd have to go with Rogues ;o)

message 7: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (halfpint66) | 138 comments I always wondered what the difference was LOL!

Michelle wrote: "I was wondering what the difference was between a rake and rogue when I found this definition for a rake on the web:

"A rake, short for rakehell, is a historic term applied to a man who is ha..."

message 8: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Debbie wrote: "I always wondered what the difference was LOL!

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one, LOL!!

message 9: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (halfpint66) | 138 comments I still want to believe a Rake and Rogue is the same thing.LOL!

message 10: by Gaijinmama (new)

Gaijinmama | 6 comments Haven't posted in a very long time but...how about a Highlander Roguish Rake with Fangs?
You'd have my perfect man right there!

message 11: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Gaijinmama wrote: "Haven't posted in a very long time but...how about a Highlander Roguish Rake with Fangs?
You'd have my perfect man right there! "

LOL!

message 12: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Debbie wrote: "I still want to believe a Rake and Rogue is the same thing.LOL!"

I know. The more I looked at the descriptions, the harder it became to tell the difference. But I just had to know what a rake was, LOL!

message 13: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments Gaijinmama wrote: "Haven't posted in a very long time but...how about a Highlander Roguish Rake with Fangs?
You'd have my perfect man right there! "

I second that!! :o)

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) Highlander, definitely. ;)