Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Duplicated ISBN?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alexia (new)

Alexia (alexiasophii) | 5 comments Hello!

I own an edition of "Aradia: The Gospel of Witches" that isn't on the website, so I decided to add it.
First I searched with the ISBN to be completely sure it wasn't already on Goodreads and well... another book came up that has nothing to do with the one I own.

As Artes de Curar

I've tried googling the book in question, trying to make sure that the ISBN on the page was correct but I can't seem to find the ISBN anywhere.

What should I do?

message 2: by Dori (new)

Dori (adorible) | 198 comments I found As Artes de Curar on worldcat, open library and google books with the ISBN 8574600032. What's really weird is that if I search that ISBN on GR, it comes up with the book you linked to...

I'd wait for someone with more experience to chime in on what should be done.

message 3: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 44649 comments Mod
Given that in this case, Amazon is the ONLY site that has that title linked to that ISBN, and not a single GR user has it shelved, I would say this one is an exception due to bad data on from Amazon and can be corrected to "Aradia: The Gospel of Witches".

This is NOT what usually happens in such cases; usually we create an alternate-cover edition (second type).

message 4: by Alexia (new)

Alexia (alexiasophii) | 5 comments So, I should go to Artes de Curar, change the ISBN to 8574600032 (which Dori indicated) and then introduce Aradia with the correct ISBN?

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 44649 comments Mod
Yes, especially I just noticed: the ISBN-13 already listed for Artes corresponds to 8574600032!

message 6: by Alexia (new)

Alexia (alexiasophii) | 5 comments Ok!
Thank you very very much for all your help, really! :)

message 7: by Dori (new)

Dori (adorible) | 198 comments rivka wrote: "Yes, especially I just noticed: the ISBN-13 already listed for Artes corresponds to 8574600032!"

I wonder if that's why the search found it...I didn't even think to check that the two ISBN's on that book didn't match each other.

message 8: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Ugh, it's not just Harlequin that reuses ISBNs, apparently. The back cover of my edition of The Lonely Crowd, Yale University Press, a sociology classic, has the same ISBN as Long Day's Journey Into Night by Eugene O'Neill. Inside are two additional ISBNs - the paperback ISBN is shared by both the full length Lonely Crowd, and the abridged edition.