Urban Fantasy discussion

SELF-PROMOTION > Would anyone read this series?

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John Hartness Hi there. I'm working on my second novel, which I hope will become the beginning of a series, but wanted to see if you folks thought the basic premise was lame or interesting.

It's a series about a pair of vampire detectives, two smart-aleck guys who make their living as private investigators, who happen to be vampires. They aren't particularly sexy, they don't glitter, one of them is fat and they're both basically big geeks. But vampire detective geeks. I'm only about 10,000 words into the first book right now, but wanted to see if anyone thought the premise overall sounded remotely interesting.

I'd be happy to email samples to the first few people who reply to the thread, if you're interested. I'm new to these forums in general, but this is a niche genre I'm interested in.

Thanks,

J

A book away from an episode of hoarders (fidgit77) | 16 comments I think that it sounds interesting. I'd be willing to give it a chance.

message 3: by Lisa M (new)

Lisa M | 311 comments The premise sounds interesting. I think I'd give it a go. It seems to meet one of my criteria of interest: unique characters.

message 4: by Krysta (new)

Krysta (krystafig) Sounds different which can be bad or good.
Sounds like it may be worth a try though.

message 5: by Bill (new)

Bill (reedye) | 46 comments Sounds like a great idea to me. Good luck with it.

message 6: by Jamie (JK) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) I hate vampires, but the fact that you aren't sticking to the "vampires are overpowered sexbots" ploy most authors do makes this interesting... I'd give it a read.

message 7: by Cee (new)

Cee | 51 comments I like that you have a different take on the vamps. The omg-they-are-so-hot-thing is getting a bit old.

I'd be pretty interested to read it

message 8: by Shiree (new)

Shiree (paranormalmomma) Celine wrote: "I like that you have a different take on the vamps. The omg-they-are-so-hot-thing is getting a bit old.

I'd be pretty interested to read it"

I second that. Either vampires only bite the beautiful people or when you become a vampire, you miraculously become god's gift to women and men. I say bring on the "real to life" (funny isn't it) vampires.

message 9: by John (new)

John Hartness Cool. Thanks for all the feedback, I'll keep cranking on it. Currently there's no sex planned for the books, I just don't see these dorks getting lucky even with their vamp mojo working. And I've been wondering forever what happens to ugly vampires? Is there like a council of vamps somewhere that everyone has to go in front of before they're issued their training fangs? If you're not hot enough, you don't get to be a vampire.

"Sorry, kid. You've got 14% body fat. Way too much for vampirism. You're stuck as a zombie."

message 10: by Shiree (new)

Shiree (paranormalmomma) Lmao. Maybe it is imperative for vampire's to be beautiful. Look @ Nosferatu and where his looks got him.

message 11: by Jamie (JK) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) :D

That's an awesome view on vampires. That definitely makes me want to read this book once it's out.

message 12: by Betelgeuze (new)

Betelgeuze | 114 comments I like geeks, vampires and detectives, so sounds good to me. I was getting a bit tired of vamps always being extremely beautiful.

message 13: by Angelika (new)

Angelika | 24 comments Sounds interesting...is it going to be serious or is there a hint of comedy in this? I'm always looking for something different to read. Seems like too much "jumping on the bandwagon" since the popularity of vampires and shifters has hit.

I'd definitely be interested in reading a sample if you still plan on doing that.

Keep writing!

message 14: by Emmett (new)

Emmett Spain | 33 comments Sounds like an interesting take. I'd be keen to give it a look in if there's a liberal dose of comedy... two vampire geeks sounds like a great set up.

message 15: by John (new)

John Hartness Alrighty, since a few folks expressed interest in a sample, and since I'm a shameless self-promoter, here's the link for my sample page.

http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/2...

Let me know what you think. I'm in sales, so my skin is thick enough :).

message 16: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 45 comments I just read your sample page and enjoyed it. I would give a series like that a try.

message 17: by Jamie (JK) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) Just read it and thought it was pretty awesome. I liked that Jimmy is bad at similes. :D

message 18: by Annika (new)

Annika Howells (annikahowells) | 1 comments I think we are in desperate need of a new take on vampires. I say go for it!

message 19: by Julia (new)

Julia | 615 comments Have you watched "True Blood?" In the first season (I think) we meet Eddie Gauthier played by Stephen Root. He's not a major character. He's a vampire who is beyond middle age, overweight, not good looking. When we first meet him he says Mondays are best night of his week. First "Heroes," then Lafayette comes over...

Yes, I think your take on vampires could be a lot of fun.

message 20: by John (last edited Oct 27, 2010 10:17AM) (new)

John Hartness So for anyone who has said they'd be interested in reading this type of vampire novel, the first book in the series, Hard Day's Knight, is now available on Amazon! Ebook coming soon!

Hard Day's Knight by John G. Hartness

message 21: by Jamie (JK) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) Can't wait for the eBook. =]

message 22: by Cee (new)

Cee | 51 comments That's great!

Congratulations on finishing the story (: