Cozy Mysteries discussion

Reading Challenges > Read Around the USA - Help with finding books

Comments Showing 1-50 of 71 (71 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited Aug 25, 2010 11:03AM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) | 1576 comments Mod
I'm starting an official thread where everyone can discuss where to find books for various states. That frees up the challenge thread for everyone's challenge lists.

Feel free to post where certain books take place to help others out or if you need help with a particular state, shout out for help here.

message 2: by Alice (new)

Alice (AliceMcD) | 4 comments I haven't seen many, if any, listings for Indiana. I'd like to recommend Sara Hoskinson Frommer's series starring Joan Spencer. Frommer lives in Bloomington, IN, and her books are set in a college town in southern Indiana. Joan Spencer is a widow with a son who moves to town to take a job with the senior center. She also has a part-time job as the librarian of the local orchestra. I believe the first in the series is "Murder in C Major" and the second is "Buried in Quilts." I would compare her writing to Susan Wittig Albert and Earlene Fowler. Unfortunately, there are only 5 in the series and she doesn't seem to be writing them any more. The ones there are are great, though, IMHO. The last one, "Witness in Bishop's Hill" takes place in Bishops Hill, Illinois.

message 3: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 17767 comments Mod
Kate Collins' Flower Shop series, which begins with Mum's the Word, also takes place in Indiana.

message 4: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 93 comments Ralph McInerny's Roger and Philip Knight mysteries are set at The University of Notre Dame

message 5: by Shay (new)

Shay | 408 comments The new Lee Child's book, 61 Hours is set in South Dakota.

message 6: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments Shay wrote: "The new Lee Child's book, 61 Hours is set in South Dakota."

That was my SD book! It's the only Reacher book I ever made it all the way thru, and that's only because it took place during a blizzard and it was nice to read about the snow when it was nearly 100 here!

message 7: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 188 comments I read Michael Koryta's So Cold the River for Indiana. It's a stand-alone. I'm not sure if his Lincoln Perry series takes place in IN, but I'm guessing maybe since he's from Indy.

message 8: by Shay (new)

Shay | 408 comments Alice wrote: "I haven't seen many, if any, listings for Indiana. I'd like to recommend Sara Hoskinson Frommer's series starring Joan Spencer. Frommer lives in Bloomington, IN, and her books are set in a colleg..."

Madelyn Alt's books are set in Indiana.

message 9: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 3831 comments Mod
I have 8 states with no mystery book listing for them:
* Alaska (Perhaps I'm wrong)
* Delaware
* Montana
* Rhode Island
* Utah
* Vermont
* West Virginia
* Wyoming

message 10: by Melodie (last edited Aug 28, 2010 01:34PM) (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments Marisa wrote: "I have 8 states with no mystery book listing for them:
* Delaware
* Montana
* Rhode Island
* Utah
* Vermont
* West Virginia
* Wyoming"

For Alaska try Dana Stabenow. She has 2 series set there. For Utah as far as cozies Natalie Roberts has a series whose heroine runs a dance studio. Robert Irvine wrote a series with a P.I. named Moroni Traveler. There are several in the series (they're NOT cozies) with titles liked CALLED HOME and BAPTISM FOR THE DEAD. As the hero's name and the titles would suggest the Mormon church is usually involved and frequently not in a favorable light. The books are hard to find, but definitely worth the effort. Very good reads.

message 11: by Shay (new)

Shay | 408 comments Also for Alaska:
Sue Henry
John Straley
Murder, She Wrote: Panning For Murder if you want a straight cozy, this one is set in Alaska.

message 12: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

And for Montana I've just found A Killing Season. This series covers a lot of states too.

message 13: by Shay (new)

Shay | 408 comments Margaret Coel's books are set in Montana. I think she's up to number 15 so they should be easy to find.

message 14: by ❂ Murder by Death (last edited Aug 28, 2010 10:29PM) (new)

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) Marisa wrote: "I have 8 states with no mystery book listing for them:
* Delaware
* Montana
* Rhode Island
* Utah
* Vermont
* West Virginia
* Wyoming"

Marisa - there is a mystery series (an older one) that takes place in Wyoming by Marne Davis Kellogg. It's not a cozy series by strict definition, but I'm not sure what else you'd call it. the first in the series is called Bad Manners.

Also, the last Shirley damsgaard mystery takes place in west Virginia. I *think* it's The Seventh Witch. Hope that helps! :)

message 15: by Shay (new)

Shay | 408 comments West Virginia: Into the Web by Thomas H. Cook

message 16: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Yes, thank you very much. I'm really getting suggestions ;) because these aren't the states I've not chosen book but the states I've no found a book at any list *blushing*

message 17: by Rusty (new)

Rusty Hey Marissa! Look at some of Sue Henry's work. I think you'll find an Alaska mystery among her books.

message 18: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Thank you, Rusty. They look very nice.

message 19: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Marisa: I picked up Sue Henry's Murder on the Iditarod Trail for Alaska -- it's the first book in the series.

message 20: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Yes, I've trying to look for it but there's a "small" problem. It's the only one that it isn't available in digital format, so it's more complicated (and, lately, I've found that I enjoy more digital books than paper books *blushing*) Anyway, I'm going to get it at Book Depository, because it has caught my eye. Thank you, Heather.

message 21: by Shay (new)

Shay | 408 comments Marisa wrote: "Yes, I've trying to look for it but there's a "small" problem. It's the only one that it isn't available in digital format, so it's more complicated (and, lately, I've found that I enjoy more digit..."

I held out so long against getting an ebook reader because I loved "real" books so much. Ten days after I bought it, I would prefer an ebook. So pristine and clean. I have this OCD thing of smelling books. Even if I have waited for months for a library request, I'll return it unread if it smells really odd.

message 22: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

I have no problem with smell. I've get used to turn pages only with a finger, to be able to read with only a hand while I commute and things like that. Laziness you see *winking* (I must confess, my ebook reader is VERY small, 5inches but very small).

message 23: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

I've a question. Does anybody know if the Grace University which appears at Sounds of Murder is located in Nebraska? I'm going to get it anyway, but this would help.

message 24: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 188 comments Mad Season - I'm going to read this book in September and it's in Vermont. I'll be happy to let you know if I like it.

message 25: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

Marisa wrote: "I've a question. Does anybody know if the Grace University which appears at Sounds of Murder is located in Nebraska? I'm going to get it anyway, but this would help."

I havn't read the book but I live in Nebraska and never heard of Grace University.

message 26: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (last edited Aug 30, 2010 12:57PM) (new)

I've looked at google and I've found a Grace University at Omaha, Nebraska. But I wasn't sure, and they talk about a southern college, so I don't think so.

message 27: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited Aug 30, 2010 03:11PM) (new)

They could have made the college up. Then again, I don't live in Omaha so it could be there and I've just never heard of it.

message 28: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

If you go to the featured author section and check under Nov for Donald Bain, I just uploaded his entire list of Murder, She Wrote novels (all 36) and listed the location of each one.

message 29: by Miki (new)

Miki | 148 comments Marisa wrote: "I have 8 states with no mystery book listing for them:
* Delaware
* Montana
* Rhode Island
* Utah
* Vermont
* West Virginia
* Wyoming"

I read A Cold Day for Murder by Dana Stabenow that is set in Alaska. Not exactly a cozy, but a good mystery.

message 30: by Anne (new)

Anne | 31 comments Shay wrote: "Margaret Coel's books are set in Montana. I think she's up to number 15 so they should be easy to find."

It is my understanding that Margaret Coel's books are set on the Wind River Indian Reservation in Wyoming.

message 31: by Shay (new)

Shay | 408 comments Anne wrote: "Shay wrote: "Margaret Coel's books are set in Montana. I think she's up to number 15 so they should be easy to find."

It is my understanding that Margaret Coel's books are set on t..."

Yeah, it is, thanks. I get the box and rectangle states in the middle of the country mixed up. I live in the west, but that whole section of the country is one big blur to me.

message 32: by Anne (new)

Anne | 31 comments Shay wrote: "Anne wrote: "Shay wrote: "Margaret Coel's books are set in Montana. I think she's up to number 15 so they should be easy to find."

It is my understanding that Margaret Coel's books..."

Shay if you need an interesting book about Montana, you might try the Gabriel du Pre series by Peter Bowen. Do start with the first one Coyote Winds. I love this series and am wondering why he has not written any more. Enjoy!

message 33: by Sherrie (last edited Aug 31, 2010 09:46AM) (new)

Sherrie (vampirekisses2) | 418 comments Jennifer wrote: "Marisa wrote: "I have 8 states with no mystery book listing for them:
* Delaware
* Montana
* Rhode Island
* Utah
* Vermont
* West Virginia
* Wyoming"

Marisa - there is..."

Natalie M. Roberts Jenny T. Partridge books takes place in Utah. Also Melissa Glazer has aseries in Vermont.

message 34: by Anne (new)

Anne | 31 comments Alaska: Dana Stabenow (sp?)
Montana: Peter Bowen--Gabriel duPre series
Wyoming; Margaret Coel: not sure of series title. Is set on Wind River Indian Reservation

message 35: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 188 comments Suzanne wrote: "I read Michael Koryta's So Cold the River for Indiana. It's a stand-alone. I'm not sure if his Lincoln Perry series takes place in IN, but I'm guessing maybe since he's from Indy."

I stand corrected! The Lincoln Perry series takes place in Cleveland, OH.

message 36: by Kaye (new)

Kaye (momgee) | 861 comments I only found one for DE and it's old - The Beach Affair A Novel (Colleen Fitzgerald Mysteries) by Barbara Johnson

WV A Small Case of Murder by Lauren Carr
RI The Ghost and Mrs. McClure
UT Dead in Hog Heaven: A Thea Barlow Mystery

message 37: by Miki (last edited Sep 02, 2010 08:13AM) (new)

Miki | 148 comments Kaye wrote: "I only found one for DE and it's old - The Beach Affair A Novel (Colleen Fitzgerald Mysteries) by Barbara Johnson

If you are offended by fairly graphic sex between women, be cautious about the Johnson books. I wouldn't classify them as cozies, but they are great mysteries.

message 38: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited Sep 02, 2010 08:51AM) (new)

That is something Miki I would NEVER expect to find in a cozy mystery. Cozies by definition usually don't have graphic sex scenes anyway, let alone something outside the norm.

message 39: by Kaye (new)

Kaye (momgee) | 861 comments ஐ Briansgirl "Book Sale Queen"ஐ wrote: "That is something Miki I would NEVER expect to find in a cozy mystery. Cozies by definition usually don't have graphic sex scenes anyway, let alone something outside the norm."

Oh, Crap!! I got the name of the book from either Stop YKM or cozy mystery.com One of my daughters lives in DE. I should tell her to write a mystery, then we'd be all set. Any one have any other suggestions as I am not comfortable with graphic sex scenes.

message 40: by Miki (new)

Miki | 148 comments Kaye wrote: "ஐ Briansgirl "Book Sale Queen"ஐ wrote: "That is something Miki I would NEVER expect to find in a cozy mystery. Cozies by definition usually don't have graphic sex scenes anyway, let alone something..."

I got it from SYKM and ordered the second one in the series from my library. It was set in DC, and I was quite surprised when I started reading it. I am much more bothered by graphic violence, but did find I was uncomfortable with many of the scenes. I finished it because I got caught up in the mystery. I won't look for the first one. I am still searching for something from Deleware.

message 41: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments Miki wrote: "Kaye wrote: "I only found one for DE and it's old - The Beach Affair A Novel (Colleen Fitzgerald Mysteries) by Barbara Johnson

If you are offended by fairly graphic sex between women, be cautious about the Johnson books. I..."

This series was about all I could find for DE. Am trying to get one from the series on PBS. Once I read the descriptions on PBS I knew it was a lesbian series, which doesn't bother me. One of my favorite series was Sandra Scoppettone's Lauren Laurano series, and Lauren was a lesbian with a longtime partner. There were sex scenes in them, but they weren't graphic. I agree with Miki, in that graphic violence sometimes offends me. Sex, whatever kind, doesn't. A couple of other series that I found for other states on SYKM also turned out to be lesbian mysteries. I've gotten some of the books from PBS, but haven't started reading any yet.

message 42: by Sandy (last edited Sep 02, 2010 11:48AM) (new)

Sandy | 93 comments There is a mystery about car racing that is set in Dover Delaware. Hooked Up by Jim Lavene. I haven't read it so I don't know how it is.

message 43: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

I don't like graphic violence in my mysteries either. If I'm looking for a thriller, then I'll read a thriller. When I want a cozy mystery, I think of curling up in front of the fire with a good book. Always makes me think of Murder, She Wrote. lol Which is why I have a slew of the Murder, She Wrote books. For a cozy fire though, since my house doesn't have a fireplace, the closest I can get is my DVD of a yule log burning for an hour. lol

message 44: by Miki (new)

Miki | 148 comments I had forgotten how much I enjoyed Scoppettone's Lauren Laurano series. I haven't read one for years. I will have to see if I can find any I haven't read. Thanks for the reminder, Melodie.

message 45: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (last edited Sep 06, 2010 12:04AM) (new)

Well, I think that for Delaware I'll try to read a romantic suspense, At Risk, I hope I can get it, or the book you've mentioned before, Hooked Up: A Stock Car Racing Mystery (I've liked all their other books, so perhaps it's a good bet).

message 46: by Kaye (last edited Sep 09, 2010 07:36AM) (new)

Kaye (momgee) | 861 comments Just read Dirty Rotten Tendrils (A Flower Shop Mystery, #10) by Kate Collins for Indiana in the 50 state challenge and am now reading for Wisconsin. Murder at the PTA (PTO Mystery) by Laura Alden

message 47: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

PTA is set in Wisconsin? Well now you know I have to get that one. *g*

message 48: by Kaye (new)

Kaye (momgee) | 861 comments Heather L wrote: "PTA is set in Wisconsin? Well now you know I have to get that one. *g*"

Heather, it has your name all over it!

message 49: by Caroline (new)

Caroline | 661 comments Marisa wrote: "Well, I think that for Delaware I'll try to read a romantic suspense, At Risk, I hope I can get it, or the book you've mentioned before, [book:Hooked Up: A Stock Car Racing Mystery|2..."

Oh yeah, Marisa! I love the Lavene's stock car racing books! I wish there had been more in the series. I think you'll like it.

message 50: by Diane ~Firefly~ (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 322 comments A new group just started up to keep track of locations books are set in. It isn't limited to mysteries, but could still help with this challenge. Settings

« previous 1