Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > Question about characters

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 122 comments I've recently discovered the character features. However, I have a problem. If I have different books in a series, all of them with the same character, when I add the character with a books, it appears in the character's page for adding as many times as books where it's included. Is it right?

message 2: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 26056 comments Yep, that's what happens.

message 3: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 122 comments But, is it a bug or a feature?

message 4: by Dori (new)

Dori (adorible) | 198 comments Information on how to deal with this is in the Librarian Manual.

In some cases, a character will have only one name, 
like "Angel," or a very common name, like "John Smith."
Make every attempt to distinguish the character with a
unique name; the character's common name can be placed
in the "Alias" field. If this is not possible, then add
a short version of the book or series title in
parentheses to distinguish between characters with the
same name.

message 5: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 593 comments Marisa wrote: "But, is it a bug or a feature?"

I'm leaning towards bug, but it's one we've been living with.

message 6: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 122 comments Dori wrote: "Information on how to deal with this is in the Librarian Manual.

In some cases, a character will have only one name,
like "Angel," or a very common name, like "John Smith."
Make e..."

I'll try to explain myself better. Imagine I edit "Avery Andrews series, #1" and I add "Avery Andrews character" (none to select). Now, I edit "Avery Andrews series, #2", add a character and select "Avery Andrews" in the list (don't write it). Then I edit "Avery Andrews, #3", add a character and I have TWO Avery Andrews for selecting between them. If I select one of them and I edit the four book in the series, there will be THREE Avery Andrews. That's the problem, not two different characters with the same name.

message 7: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 26056 comments Yep, that's what I said in post two. That's what happens. I've always thought of it as annoying, definitely not a feature, but just what happens.

message 8: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 122 comments Sandra wrote: "Yep, that's what I said in post two. That's what happens. I've always thought of it as annoying, definitely not a feature, but just what happens."

OK, I hadn't used it till now, so I didn't know and I've asked because of that.

message 9: by willaful (new)

willaful I think that happens with quotes authors, too. IIRC, if you don't take the suggestion, they make a new one.

message 10: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie | 874 comments Sorry Will, what do you mean?

message 11: by willaful (new)

willaful I think when I added a quote, they suggested the author's name, I just kept typing instead of clicking on it, and wound up with a second version of the same author. It was a while ago though, so I may not be remembering correctly.

message 12: by Dori (new)

Dori (adorible) | 198 comments Marisa wrote: "I'll try to explain myself better. Imagine I edit "Avery Andrews series, #1" and I add "Avery Andrews character" (none to select). Now, I edit "Avery Andrews series, #2", add a character and select "Avery Andrews" in the list (don't write it). Then I edit "Avery Andrews, #3", add a character and I have TWO Avery Andrews for selecting between them."

Oops, sorry 'bout that, I totally misunderstood when I read that...