Q&A with Deborah Brodie discussion

Strategies of a Sequel

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Deborah (last edited Aug 26, 2010 07:40AM) (new)

Deborah Patrick (pristine) | 7 comments Mod
I am Deborah Brodie and I am the author to "In His Love." I am currently in the process of writing its sequel and am facing many challenges. I have listed the top 3 questions I have about writing a successful sequel, that I would love to hear from the authors who have written a sequel, and the readers expressing what they look for in a sequel.

message 2: by Marta (last edited Aug 29, 2010 02:16AM) (new)

Marta Dunphy-Moriel | 2 comments Hi Deborah! My most sincere congratulations!

And hello to everyone in the Q&A!!!
My name is Marta Dunphy-Moriel, 22,an english/spanish half-blood and the author of The prophecy of the Shalforen: Hangman's Hole.

It is an interesting subject. Most people love sequels, in the sense that it continues a great story, thefore it tells them more about the characters they have already fallen in love with. However, in my opinion, sequels are a dangerous weapon and should be treated as such. Why? you may ask. Simple, people that are waiting for the sequel are already expecting something and have probably thought what They would want the sequel to be like. Therefore, the sequel doesn't have to be as good as the first book, it has to better because the starting point is not at the same level.
All the best of luck!!!

message 3: by Deborah (new)

Great point! That answers my question I had in new versus old characters in the sequel. I wasn't sure if I should create a new storyline with new characters, while revisiting the old ones.

message 4: by Marta (last edited Aug 29, 2010 06:19AM) (new)

Marta Dunphy-Moriel | 2 comments Honestly, I think you should do what you fell must confortable with, but, if you already know your characters well and your readers like them, well, why get rid of them??? Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle tried to do it and his readers nearly murdered him!!! ,-) But, it is a very personal matter, because it really depends if you are still "inspired" on writing about them or not (please forgive the example, but it is like some Sequels on tv or cinema... they were pushed to do it and you can tell they werent really inspired by the idea) So, in conclusion, if you want to tell us more about your characters please do!!!^^ As an artist, you can only trully create a work of art if it comes from the bottom if your soul and not from the bottom of your wallet ;-)))

message 5: by Deborah (new)

Spoken from a true artist!

message 6: by Kira4Inu (new)

Kira4Inu Kira4Inu I am Brittany, a 15 year old aspiring to be a novelist. I write under the name Kira4Inu and have recently finished my first novel. I'm in the process of copyrighting and editing it so that I may send it to a publisher. I have also began a sequel to it.

In the end of my first book, I left the characters in a fairly simple way to pick them up in the sequel. What I also did to tie in the "new" character that will be visited in the sequel is had a part about him in an epilogue to, as I said, tie them together.

In my opinion, a sequel can contain the same characters or visit brand new characters with somewhat of the same concept. It's best if these brand new characters are of some relation to the originals, such as decendants or siblings. Should the sequel be about new characters, I feel that the plot should in a way revisit the original conflict from the first but not include the same plot twists, surprises, or have the same conclusion. That would be boring. Also I feel, depending on the situation at the end of book one, that a slight time lapse would be okay or, for that matter, if no time has elapsed at all.

message 7: by Deborah (new)

Hi Brittany, congrats on finishing your first novel!!
I love your opinions on how to write a great sequel; alot of very useful information that I know I will be putting to use.

My last novel was tagged as a romance, while its sequel I am currently working on is going to be a suspense/mystery. I am starting it off in Guatemala where the main character was going for a 3 month mission trip. I was wrestling with the idea of having 2 story lines going on, with the plot in Guatemala then back to the main characters from first book, but after your suggestions I think it would work out great in this sequel.

Thanks again Brittany for your great suggestions and I wish you much success in all your writing endeavors!!

message 8: by Kira4Inu (new)

Kira4Inu Kira4Inu Thank-you. I'm glad I was able to help you out with my opinions. Yeah, the sequel to my novel develops into a romance novel while the first one only slightly hints at it.

I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of your first book. It sounds so interesting and I would love to read it. I'll probably have to wait for the library to get it in though before I can read it.

My novel is going to be edited shortly then I'll have it copyrighted and submitted to publishers. Thank-you.

message 9: by Deborah (new)

Be sure to let me know when it gets published so I can get an autographed copy!!

What library is closest to you, I will contact them and ask them to catalog my book!

message 10: by Kira4Inu (new)

Kira4Inu Kira4Inu I will!!

Um, the North Bend Public Library in Oregon. Or any of the other coastline libraries.

message 11: by Rick-Founder JM CM BOOK CLUB (last edited Sep 11, 2010 02:12PM) (new)

Rick-Founder JM CM BOOK CLUB  | 1 comments Hi All
Rick here- Founder of The James Mason Classic British Book Club
congrats Deborah on a very fine novel! as far as sequels- I always feel it is important to have characters in the first book that becomelike old friends- friends you want to revisit- or who you want to stop by again! That to me is the key a great sequel- plot is important of course, but an honest desire to spend more time with "old friends"is most integral!
Best of wishes on the sequel!!!
Rick

message 12: by Deborah (new)

Brittany,
I or my publisher will contact them and send them a book to catalog, and I will let you know when its sent.

message 13: by Deborah (new)

Hi Rick,
Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing your fantastic thoughts on what makes a great sequel!
That is a great point about how important it is to bring back the old characters into a new plot! That helps me out tremendously!

message 14: by Kira4Inu (new)

Kira4Inu Kira4Inu Alright, I can't wait to read it!