Where the Red Fern Grows Where the Red Fern Grows discussion

where the red fern grows

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Trinity Lambeth My overall impression of this book is that it's a good book to read if u don't mind crying at the end. The plot being a young boy that has a strong relationship with his two dogs appered to be correct considering the time and work it took to get them. He had complete dedication and refused to give up. it was something that only a person that truly loved the cause they where working for. The style was realalistic and discriptive that was interesting that not all books contain.The characters had a real southern feeling and was family orianted and faith based. But the ending was my faviriote part of the book. it was sad but i think had to happen so it wouldn't leve the unrealalistic ending that they lived happly ever after. Billy showed his love for his dogs througout the whole book and it was interesting to see how he reacted to there loyal death that was layed down for his own young life that some dogs are unable to do. I would recomend this book to dog lovers or people who have once loved a dog(s)because when i was reading this book i couldn't stop thinking about my own dog and his loyalty and how i would react to his sudden death. I don't have many questions because i grasped the concept of the book. The only thing i wondered about was if he realy belived in God or was he just praying as a last resort and desprate attempt? And that concludes my review of Where thw Red Fern Grows.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Trinity, this is one of my favorite books, but I haven't read it in decades. I don't think it really mattered whether he believed in God or not when he was praying, he was just wanting his dogs to be ok again, he loved them so much! I sobbed every time I read that part. It is a wonderful book!

Lisa I think he believed in God. It's not really talked about in the book. There are some instances where there were miracles and coincidences.

1. Like:

The names carved in the tree seem perfect to Billy for his pups because they are in the clearing where Billy found the magazine ad, the same clearing where he prayed for pups.

2. In the end where there is a red fern growing in the middle of the two grave sites.

"According to Indian legend, only an angel can plant a red fern. Billy and his family look at the fern in awe, and he feels ready to leave for the town."

Juliana Lisa wrote: "I think he believed in God. It's not really talked about in the book. There are some instances where there were miracles and coincidences.

1. Like:

The names carved in the tree seem perfect to Bi..."

ya i think so too!

Juliana Trinity wrote: "My overall impression of this book is that it's a good book to read if u don't mind crying at the end. The plot being a young boy that has a strong relationship with his two dogs appered to be corr..."

i just LOVE this book and kept thinking about my dog Rocky to u can see it in the pic