Obsessed with True Crime discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > Ask questions from someone that's lived in true crime.

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifersternberg) | 16 comments Karen,

When did you start writing your book and how long did it take to get published? Do you think you would ever write about other cases?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Karen
This is so interesting.
If you dont mind me asking, but what exactly happend?

I'm studying criminology at the moment, and we're focusing on South African crime at the moment. I havent been in an actual crime before but its a subject that has always facinated me (if you know what I mean).

In South Africa there are a lot of children who go missing every year and who are never found. I cant even imagine what that must be like.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Karen
Wow, your story just brought me to tears, I cant believe this happend to you. I can guess that it was therapeutic, talking and dealing with such things usually are, but it must have been really hard for you. The guy that still lives in the area, does he live close to you? Was he ever questioned for anything?

Well kids, especially girls, go missing here a lot. Some men kidnap them and cut them for Muti (a "tradinional" remedy for some things using the private parts of humans, but most people know its rubish). Some girls get kidnapped and used as sexual slaves and then are never found.

There was this one guy in South Africa, van Rooyen, he kidnapped many young girls and most of them were never found. When the police cornered him he commited suicide

message 4: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (thebestthereis07) Karen,
First I want to tell you how sorry I am to hear about your sister. What is the book called? I seem to remember a story similar to this that I heard about on Dateline or 48 Hours, one of those shows. That wasn't your story was it?

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Karen
Wow, I dont think I would have been able to write a book like that, it takes a very strong person to be able to do that, I think you're wonderful. The only light point in this awful tale is that at least you had her body. In most cases here the body is never found. I think thats what still haunts the parents of the van Rooyen victims.

I've heard of this book. I am definitly going to get a copy. You were so young when this happend, how did you manage to cope? What about your parents?

I recently finished a book about the murder of a 6 month old. Maybe you've heard of it? The baby was Jorden Leigh Norton. Her biological fathers girlfriend had her killed because she was jelous of her.

message 6: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (thebestthereis07) I knew that the case sounded familiar Karen. I will definitely check out the website and I am planning on reading your book. I'm sure it will not only inform people about the threats that are out there but it will help tons of victims families that have been through similiar situations. So good for you Karen. Wishing you the best of luck!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Karen

I looked at the website and read what you wrote about finding her body. I cant imagine what what the lady you are in contact with must go through every day, still not having found her girls, and also knowing in her heart what really happend to them.

I think you are very brave Karen, to be able to talk about and write about it all after all this time, being able to look at everything again. You are amazing, and I'm sure that your sister is looking down on you and she is very proud of you. Losing a sibling must be one of the hardest things to go through I believe. This is someone you lived with, who you saw everyday... I cant imagine that type of pain.

I'd love to get hold of your book, are they on sale in South Africa?

Yes, baby Jorden was murdered so cruelly for something so stupid really.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks so much Karen!
There is no need to thank me, you are the one who is encouraging, you must be a remarkable person to get through something like this... I wish you all the best.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow, Karen this makes you even more special. I can only try to imagine what you mean with the Cold Case Unit. It must be great to know what there is a special unit there to help solve the unsolved crimes.

I think the two women that you are helping are lucky to have you in their lives and I wish them both the best of luck with everything.

You say your faith played a big part, I believe in God, trust me, but how do you (I dont know how to put it) "forgive" God for what has happend to you? Aren't you angry?

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for that Karen, that is a wonderful thing. The verse you wrote is very beautiful and true, and your faith I can see is very strong not to once wonder about Gods intentions.
You'd make a great motivational speaker you know, I know I'd pay to listen to you and what you've been through, to help inspire others.
I do believe in God and that he is the creator of all things wonderful and good, but I guess that sometimes when you go through pain its hard to think why... You are inspirational and your words make me trust in HIM even more :)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.