Beyond Reality discussion

SERIES—List & Discussions > Wars of Light & Shadow--Curse of the Mistwraith - Trivia Contest

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments There are no spoilers in these questions.

The first FIVE readers to get them right (If you out-fox me, OR the one reader who is closest (if I've foxed you) will win a prize. There are no restrictions on location as long as you are willing to provide me with a postal address that works.

The answers: message me privately - though I do encourage you to discuss them, as they will not be easy! Particularly the last one, which might just be a bear.

I will post the correct answers September 10th - and post winning names as they occur, so you know where things stand.

The answers spoil nothing, but you will have had to read the book very closely.

Here we go:

1) Which royal line has no living descendant?

2) How many walls were built to contain the methuri at Mirthlvain?

3) What caused Asandir's memory block to kick in, when Arithon visited the Four Ravens Inn?

4) How old was Elaira when she took her oath of service to the Koriathain?

5) What caused the King's Tower to fall at Ithamon?

6) What THREE significant tiny clues appear in The Curse of the Mistwraith that most readers miss?

7) (and the hardest) - There is a buried 'tribute' to Tolkein in this volume - one sentence that described something that echoed something from Lord of the Rings (not anything significant, just a recognizable pastiche) that gave a bow to the master. Can you find it?

message 2: by Charles (new)

Charles (charliewhip) | 141 comments Janny wrote: "There are no spoilers in these questions.

The first FIVE readers to get them right (If you out-fox me, OR the one reader who is closest (if I've foxed you) will win a prize. There are no restric..."

Oh, Janny, this will be FUN!! There goes my yard work for the next 2 days, out the window to Paravia.

message 3: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1141 comments Hot damn! I'm going to have to look them up!

message 4: by Charles (new)

Charles (charliewhip) | 141 comments Oh, yes, indeed, ALL of them, in my case. I remember the mention of all these, but can't quite put my finger on them. Research time! Reminds me of grad school in English. As my Garmin gps says, "GO!"

message 5: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1141 comments Charles wrote: "Oh, yes, indeed, ALL of them, in my case. I remember the mention of all these, but can't quite put my finger on them. Research time! Reminds me of grad school in English. As my Garmin gps says, ..."

LOL. I do know #3 & 4!

message 6: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta | 178 comments Good luck to everyone! I cannot partake as I have a big exam coming up for a certification I have been working on (forever, it seems). I couple of the questions I am pretty sure I know, but I cannot wait for the whole answer list!

message 7: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 626 comments I'm so glad I'm taking detailed notes while re-reading this volume. Now I've got new motivation. And I'm a sucker for trivia.

I hope I haven't already missed or passed by the Tolkien reference. As many times as I've read those novels, I shouldn't have overlooked it the first time through. :D

Thanks, Janny, for this trivia scavenger hunt.

message 8: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments The current front runner has 3.75 questions correct.

message 9: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (rocalisa) | 487 comments My health is bad at the moment I just don't feel up to looking for answers (I'm also behind with Ships for the same reason but hope to catch up next week). So I hope, once the contest is done you'll be posting the answers for the rest of us.

Amazing questions and congratulations to everyone who has found even one of them.

message 10: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments Kerry wrote: "My health is bad at the moment I just don't feel up to looking for answers (I'm also behind with Ships for the same reason but hope to catch up next week). So I hope, once the contest is done you'l..."

Kerry - I hope you feel better soon!

message 11: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments Jeff wrote: "Very cool. Unfortunately, my copy of Curse of the Mistwraith was lost many years ago due to overuse(I'm not sure why I never replaced it) . I had to return the library copy I was borrowing for th..."

You still have plenty of time, and don't forget (Kerry too) FIVE winners - so even a blind stab in the dark might count for something - you never know.

message 12: by Scott (new)

Scott (scottywc) | 5 comments Rats, the questions look great, unfortunately I also checked the book out from my library and returned it a couple of week ago. I have it on reserve again, but it does not look like I will receive it in time...

Janny, I bought the paperback version of the second book. "Ships of Merior" on Amazon. I'm curious: is it the full book? I thought you mentioned that the paperback was split in half. It's the "newer" cover with the picture within a picture. Really enjoyed the first book and am looking forward to book two!

Paperback: 738 pages
Publisher: HarperCollins UK (June 1, 2009)
# ISBN-10: 0586210709
http://www.amazon.com/Ships-Merior-Wa...

message 13: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments Scott - that is half of Arc II - the ONLY edition that had both books (Ships of Merior and Warhost of Vastmark) was the US hardbound edition - and you know where the books split because it is clearly headed Part I and Part II in the book itself.

All UK editions were split.
All mass market editions were split.
All trade paperback editions (there was only a UK version) are split.

The ISBN number of the complete version of Arc II (not split) - Ships of Merior (US hardback) is: 0-06-105216-7 - and it is a BRICK.

message 14: by Charles (new)

Charles (charliewhip) | 141 comments A brick it may be, but I am glad to have mine.

message 15: by Scott (new)

Scott (scottywc) | 5 comments Thanks Janny! I also bought "Warhost of Vastmark" so it looks like I'm set for my Fall reading.

message 16: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments Great to have you aboard, Scott!

message 17: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments This is the last day to submit entries for the Trivia Contest. I will accept entries up until the date stamp (Sept 10) changes, which, for GoodReads, seems to be Pacific Time tonight.

You may enter or retry wrong guesses as often as you like.

I will post the answers to the questions Sunday afternoon (tomorrow) and also the top list of the winners.

Thus far: nobody has gotten all 3 answers of #6 correct, and nobody yet has hit on the correct answer to #7.

message 18: by Charles (new)

Charles (charliewhip) | 141 comments I just love all these juicy details, re: black powder, etc.

message 19: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments Here are the correct answers to the trivia contest, followed by the names of the winners!

1) Which royal line has no living descendant?
s'Ellestrion - You'd know this because: S'Ffalenn, s'Ahelas and s'Ilessid are alive and depicted - on Dascen Elur and through the gateway to Athera. Dakar mentions which royal lines went through the gateway in the subchapter Interludes. One did not return - to derive the affirmation, you'd need to combine the information in the subchapter Artifacts, where Traithe is digging up the crown jewels of Havish, and reveals to Lysaer that there is a living heir on Athera, tucked away with a wool dyer.

2) How many walls were built to contain the methuri at Mirthlvain? Three - this information was given in the discussion - originally it was in Mistwraith as a mention, but this bit got cut in the final edit.

3) What caused Asandir's memory block to kick in, when Arithon visited the Four Ravens Inn?

The banner with the s'Ilessid Crown blazon, tacked over the bar, and disrespectfully skewered with knives and darts - his recognition of that blazon confirmed his dread, that the royal lines on Dascen Elur had correlation to history on Athera, and that his free destiny might be entangled.

4) How old was Elaira when she took her oath of service to the Koriathain? Age 6, stated outright in the subchapter Warning.

5) What caused the King's Tower to fall at Ithamon?
The murder of the Paravian king, Marin Eliathe, with the last of the foundation crumbled when the high kings were thrown down by the great rebellion. Stated outright in Chapter X.

6) What THREE significant tiny clues appear in The Curse of the Mistwraith that most readers miss?

Asandir's speaking Sethvir's mortal name, in the subchapter Backlash.

In the triplet, Triad - two clues I'd have accepted, but nobody separated them: A living unicorn ON ATHERA; and also a wardspell that flares to the filtered touch of the sun, that guards a Sorcerer sealed under sleep Spells.

Additionally, I'd have accepted the mystery behind the crown jewels - this is pretty straightforwardly posed in several scenes - it's a major point that has not (so far ever) generated any discussion at this stage in the series.

7) (and the hardest) - There is a buried 'tribute' to Tolkein in this volume - one sentence that described something that echoed something from Lord of the Rings (not anything significant, just a recognizable pastiche) that gave a bow to the master. Can you find it?

The tribute is in the form of a CARVED MONUMENT - deliberately set there as a bow to the Argonath in Tolkein - the reference appears in Chapter VII, when the riders pass Standing Gate - and two carved centaur kings, Halmein and Adon, stand - old and weathered - in stone on either side of the trade road. The ref appears on p. 215 of the newest edition.

Nobody got 7, and only two of three nailed the clues in 6.

The winners:

Jeff, Jon, Sandra.

Message me with contact info - you get prizes!

message 20: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1141 comments Yay! I even forget which ones I got right. I know I got 3, 4, and maybe 5 right. I think I got two right in 6 and I know I didn't get 7. And I may have gotten 1.

I was thinking there were 7 or 11 walls at Mirthlvain.

message 21: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (rocalisa) | 487 comments Well done, Jon, Jeff and Sandra!

While I didn't feel up to doing the quiz, I'm rather pleased to see that I did note the three often missed points you mentioned, so that makes me happy.

message 22: by Jon (last edited Sep 12, 2010 04:28PM) (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 626 comments

Thanks everyone.

And to think, I never thought of separating the unicorn clue from the missing Fellowship sorcerer.

And I just re-watched (for God only knows how many times) the Fellowship of the Rings and one of my favorite scenes is the enormous carved kings guarding the river as the Fellowship approaches the falls above Minas Tirith. It's by far my favorite scene from that movie (ties with the scenes of the Balrog at Khazad Dum). Wonder why I didn't make the connection when I read (and re-read) the Standing Gate scene? :)

And thank goodness I'm not completely nuts. I tracked down ALL the references to Mirthlvain in CotM and could NOT find an exact count of walls (just references to wall in general).

message 23: by Charles (new)

Charles (charliewhip) | 141 comments Nice to see that you didn't molly-coddle us!

message 24: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments Posed question: are you wishing to repeat this trivia contest feature for Ships of Merior?

message 25: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
I'd be all for it! Thank you for putting so much time and energy in these discussions, Janny.

message 26: by Charles (new)

Charles (charliewhip) | 141 comments (As we say in Western North Carolina)"Not yes, but HAIL yes!"

message 27: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments More Trivia:

Would you prefer Ships/Warhost to be treated as 1 volume?

Would you prefer the questions posted now?

message 28: by Charles (new)

Charles (charliewhip) | 141 comments Either way on one book or two.

If the trivia quiz is posted now, we'll all have a better shot at running down the answers as we read (or reread, as the case may be).

message 29: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 626 comments Charles wrote: "Either way on one book or two.

If the trivia quiz is posted now, we'll all have a better shot at running down the answers as we read (or reread, as the case may be)."

Agree with Charles wholeheartedly. :)

message 30: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1141 comments Jon wrote: "Charles wrote: "Either way on one book or two.

If the trivia quiz is posted now, we'll all have a better shot at running down the answers as we read (or reread, as the case may be)."

Agree with C..."

Me too, me too!

message 31: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments I will formulate the questions today, then - and make them apply to Ships/Warhost taken together.