Georgette Heyer Fans discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived > How About a Heyer Group Read?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christy B, Admin (In Absentia) (new)

Christy B (runaway84) | 24 comments Mod
If people would like to do this, I can set up a section for it.

message 2: by Claire (new)

Claire | 46 comments I am happy to do a reread every couple of weeks.

message 3: by Mir (new)

Mir | 35 comments Sounds good to me. But probably we should not do more than one a month in case people have to order the books (or get tired).

message 4: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 108 comments Get tired? no never

message 5: by Gigi (new)

Gigi A group read would be awesome!

message 6: by Mir (new)

Mir | 35 comments Well, also we would run out sooner!

message 7: by Claire (new)

Claire | 46 comments ok someone nominate a starting book.

message 8: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 108 comments ok

message 9: by Claire (new)

Claire | 46 comments ok

message 10: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 3895 comments I've read The Black Moth several times, and I'm always surprised that I like it so much. I think I forget that it's full of likeable characters and not just the black moth himself, and that it is not the story of a nasty villain, but rather the story of the characters that the nasty villain comes into contact with. And for a first book, written at 19? Wow!
Listen to this (the whole paragraph is masterly, but it's too long to quote):
"...he was not himself, and his brain was not working normally or rationally; had he but known it, he was mentally ill, and if Lavinia had thought to examine him closely she could not have failed to observe the fever spots on each cheek, the unnaturally bright eyes and the dark rings encircling them. Richard wore the look of one goaded beyond endurance, and utterly tired and overwrought."
How does a 19 year old so accurately portray such a state? I can absolutely SEE Richard at this point.
Do any of you have any passages so far that just amaze you?

message 11: by Claire (new)

Claire | 46 comments All we need is a starting date.

message 12: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 108 comments I'm looking forward to reading the lovely book again.

message 13: by Claire (new)

Claire | 46 comments ok by me

message 14: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 3895 comments I can read it again! Are we doing it a few chapters at a time, or just posting what we like (or don't) about it?

message 15: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 3895 comments Sounds good! Shall we start at the beginning, then?

message 16: by MashJ (new)

MashJ | 28 comments Following on the "The Black Moth" are we going to read "These Old Shades" for November?

We'll need a thread set up I guess.

In terms of what we read after ToS I'm not sure- I have an instinct to go chronologically but I can quite understand that some people may wish to move onto Devil's Cub (one of my favourites). The other thing is do we just read the "romance list" to keep in order or do we dip into the historicals and the mysteries as well or shall we pick those up later?

The early books- ie The Black Moth, ToS, The Masqueraders and Powder and Patch are not the easiest reads to get into Heyer for people trying out her works as the language is consciously antiquated.

I admit I'm looking forward to Regency Buck which is another of my favourites although I know that some people can't stand the hero.

message 17: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 108 comments Mshj wrote: "Following on the "The Black Moth" are we going to read "These Old Shades" for November?

In terms of what we read after ToS I'm not sure- I have an instin..."

Not only the hero, but also the heroine.

message 18: by MashJ (new)

MashJ | 28 comments Veronica wrote: "Mshj wrote: "Following on the "The Black Moth" are we going to read "These Old Shades" for November?

In terms of what we read after ToS I'm not sure- I have ..."

I'll see if I can set up a thread in the books section and then we can all argue over Worth and Judith.

message 19: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 108 comments Mshj wrote: "Veronica wrote: "Mshj wrote: "Following on the "The Black Moth" are we going to read "These Old Shades" for November?

In terms of what we read after ToS ..."

yay!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.