The History Book Club discussion

ROMAN EMPIRE -THE HISTORY... > THE FIRST MAN OF ROME - SYLLABUS

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Aug 21, 2010 05:57PM) (new)

Bentley | 44168 comments Mod
All,

Attached is the table of contents and syllabus for the upcoming Historical Fiction Book discussion which will be led by Alisa.

Alisa has been kind enough to put together a copy of the table of contents and a syllabus for the book.

The First Man in Rome, by Colleen McCullough

The First Man in Rome (Masters of Rome, #1) by Colleen McCullough Colleen McCullough Colleen McCullough

(moderator using this edition):
byColleen McCullough

From Publishers Weekly

Gaius Marius, brilliant military leader and six-term Roman consul, heads the cast of a hefty historical novel replete with politics, social infighting, bloody battles and domestic drama. "Evoking with impeccably researched, meticulous detail the political and social fabric of Rome in the last days of the Republic, McCullough demonstrates a thoroughgoing understanding of an age in which birth and blood lines determine one's fate," said PW.

SYLLABUS

Note to reader: vii
List of maps & illustrations: x – xvi
Main characters: xx – xxii

The First Year (110 B.C.): 1 – 185
The Second Year (109 B.C.): 187 – 266
The Third Year (108 B.C.): 267 – 330
The Fourth Year (107 B.C.): 331 – 418
The Fifth Year (106 B.C.): 371 – 418
The Sixth Year (105 B.C.): 419 – 588
The Seventh Year (104 B.C.) The Eighth Year (103 B.C.) The Ninth Year (102 B.C.): 589 – 822
The Tenth Year (101 B.C.) The Eleventh Year (100 B.C.): 823 – 978

Authors Note: 979-981
Glossary: 983 – 1104
Pronunciation guide to Roman masculine names: 1105 – 1114
Pronunciation guide to other names and terms: 1115 – 1123

Timeline:

Week 1 - Sept 6 - 12: p 1 – 95 The First Year

Week 2 - Sept 13 - 19: p 95 – 185 The First Year

Week 3 - Sept 20 - 26: p 187 – 263 The Second Year

Week 4 - Sept 27 - Oct 3: p 265 – 330 The Third Year

Week 5 - Oct 4 - 10: p 331 – 417 The Fourth Year and The Fifth Year

Week 6 - Oct 11 - 17: p 419 – 504 The Sixth Year

Week 7 - Oct 18 - 24: p 504 – 587 The Sixth Year

Week 8 - Oct 25 - 31: p 589 – 673 The Seventh Year, The Eighth Year, The Ninth Year

Week 9 - Nov 1 - 7: p 673 – 735 The Seventh Year, The Eighth Year, The Ninth Year

Week 10 - Nov 8 - 14: p 735 – 821 The Seventh Year, The Eighth Year, The Ninth Year

Week 11 - Nov 15 - 21: p 823 – 902 The Tenth Year, The Eleventh Year

Week 12 - Nov 22 - 27: p 902 – 978 The Tenth Year, The Eleventh Year

Week 13 - Nov 29 - Dec 5: Final Thoughts

We look forward to your participation.

Bentley

For those of you who have the original hardcopy:

The First Man in Rome (Masters of Rome, #1) by Colleen McCullough Colleen McCullough Colleen McCullough

Please note that Alisa will be using the current copy that is available which she noted above.

message 2: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Aug 21, 2010 09:02PM) (new)

Folks, I would try to get your book as soon as possible. I was able to get my copy at my local Barnes and Noble store. From what I can see this book is not available on Kindle or audible.com. Since it has been out for awhile, check your local library and see if you can keep the book out for an extended period of time if that is your choice.

Amazon had some great deals on used copies and some of them are fulfillment by Amazon itself. You can even get super saver shipping so the book would only cost you about $3.68 so check it out. There are only 19 new that are sold through dealers and they start at $2.79 with $3.99 for shipping and for all of the above we are talking about the hardcover edition. The paperback is selling for about $11+ new on Amazon plus shipping.

Barnes and Noble on line price seems to be $7+ with substantial savings on used copies as well. I paid substantially more in the store.

Powells has two copies in stock at $2.50 plus shipping. And Alibris had some copies for a couple of dollars or so and shipping. So there are quite a few around at decent prices. There are also a couple of sites where the site says that you can download the book; of course that is whether you trust the site or not and that is for you to decide.

This first book in the series was published first in 1990 so I wanted to help folks get their copies asap as the discussion starts on September 6th,

message 3: by Vicki, Assisting Moderator - Ancient Roman History (new)

Vicki Cline | 3819 comments Mod
It's definitely worth getting the hardcover edition. The maps are clearer, although it's harder to read in bed :-). I love this whole series and this is my second favorite. The glossaries in each book are extensive and a wonderful education in the world of ancient Rome.

message 4: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Thank you Vicki for the heads up.

message 5: by Karol (new)

Karol I ordered the same edition that Alisa is using from Amazon.com . . . it just arrived today.

I am looking forward to being in the discussion for the long haul. (In the past, I borrowed the book from the library and sort of dropped out of the conversation once I had to return it!)

message 6: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Kay, we are delighted that you are joining us for this discussion. All of our discussions are available to you at any time; but it is more fun to participate when everyone is actively involved.

Thank you for letting us know that you will be able to discuss the book with us.

I know that Alisa will be extremely pleased to hear this.

Bentley

message 7: by Alisa (new)

Alisa (mstaz) Kay, fabulous!! It is still early in the book so join the discussions threads in your own time. The book reads well so I am sure you won't be far behind. Thrilled you are joining this!