The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 30.4- Cheryl TX's Task: Mysteries And Animals

Comments Showing 1-50 of 125 (125 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Aug 24, 2010 12:00PM) (new)

Dlmrose | 17860 comments Mod
30.4 - Cheryl TX's task: MYSTERIES AND ANIMALS
Read two books:
A. Read a mystery where an animal plays a part in the story i.e. as a detective sidekick/pet or appears in the book description as having caused the mystery- stolen animals, the apparent cause of a death, etc.

B. Read a mystery with an animal besides a dog or cat in the title.
Ex. The Lions of the North, Blue Wolf in Green Fire: A Woods Cop Mystery, The Anteater of Death: A Zoo Mystery,Death by Dressage, The Boreal Owl Murder: A Bob White Birder Murder Mystery, The Case of the Ill-Gotten Goat, Murder With Peacocks

Mysteries have a detective protagonist (amateur or professional) who investigates and solves a crime. Mythical animals are allowed.

message 2: by Dlmrose (last edited Aug 24, 2010 04:24AM) (new)

Since Cheryl TX isn't here to answer questions- we will open this up.

We are refining the task- see above
We are defining "involved" so that it is easier to see if a book fits before you read it

message 3: by Dlmrose (last edited Sep 02, 2010 06:11PM) (new)

Explaining NO
Freddy the Detective will not work for B- there is no animal in the title

it should not be an insect (or arachnid or similar classifications)

message 4: by Dlmrose (new)

Ruby- see the refined task description-
Leigh Ann- 2 books, yes
Caity- the Pratchett book would work for A, as would the Mrs Murphy
Tanja, thanks for the lists

message 5: by Nicki (new)

Nicki (luluminstrel) | 285 comments So Tears of the Giraffe would now work for B, even though I don't think giraffes are actually involved?

message 6: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Anonymous Rex is on one of the lists. I recall someone else reading this book during a previous challenge and DID like the book. So if you need a non-cat/dog mystery -- try the dino!

message 7: by Dlmrose (new)

Nicki (UK) wrote: "So Tears of the Giraffe would now work for B, even though I don't think giraffes are actually involved?"

yes

message 8: by Dlmrose (last edited Aug 24, 2010 10:47AM) (new)

Tanja wrote: "Anonymous Rex is on one of the lists. I recall someone else reading this book during a previous challenge and DID like the book. So if you need a non-cat/dog mystery -- try the dino!"

It would work for A- an animal as the detective
For B, please use traditional animal names: dinosaur not rex

message 9: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments Thank you so much! So, these are the books I've narrowed it down to and I wanted to make sure they work:

The Hound of the Baskervilles for part A.
A Wild Sheep Chase for part B.

And The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle would work for either A or B, right? Bird is in the title (B), but the whole mystery begins - and snowballs - when the protagonist is searching for his missing cat (A).

message 10: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Shameless Plug:
Who Censored Roger Rabbit?

The movie Who Framed Roger Rabbit? was based on this book. That movie is my favorite comedy of all time--it was the first one I ever saw in theaters. Of course, my mom had a fit when she found out my dad had taken me...>_> But yeah, I used to carry a plush Roger around when I was little and tell people my name was Jessica and he was my husband.

So yes! Roger Rabbit! Win! ^_^

message 11: by Leigh Ann (new)

Leigh Ann (leighannflyingonsilverwings) The task is much easier to understand now! Thanks!

I'm thinking Altar of Eden for A. Goodreads doesn't have a discription so here's the B&N link: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Alta... Since it's a little "out there" in the animal sense I thought I'd get a yay or nay.

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments Would Laura Levine's books work for task 1?

message 13: by El (new)

El Sarah, are there animals in Laura Levine's books?

message 14: by scherzo♫ (new)

scherzo♫ (pjreads) These are the questions / suggestions I deleted:

RUBY - answered above
Would Definitely Dead by Charlaine Harris work? Definitely Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #6) by Charlaine Harris

The series often includes wolves and panthers and such, but I'm not sure if this specific one in the series does since I haven't read it yet. There is a huge tiger on the cover though...

LEIGH ANN - answered above
Just clarifying: Is this a 1 or 2 book task? And can the animals be supernatural, like unicorns?

CAITY - answered above
How about the book Guards! Guards!

DELICIOUS DEE THE BOOK SLUT
for part A people could use the Cat Who series by Lillian Jackson Braun...the cat Koko helps his own solve art mysteries

ELIZABETH (ALASKA)
So the animal has to be in the title, or just the mystery "involving" an animal

DELICIOUS DEE THE BOOK SLUT
you have to wade through it, but here is a discussion thread on amazon about mysteries featuring animals:
Mysteries Featuring Animals from Amazon

I'm planning on using Dead Canaries Don't Sing for part a (she is a vet solving crime with a couple of canine companions) and Three Bags Full for part B (the sheep are trying to solve the murder of their shepherd)

CAITY
I've got Catch as Cat Can for part A. It's one of the Mrs. Murphy mysteries, which is another series involving a cat.

TANJA
I guess this list works? http://www.carnegielibrary.org/books/...

non-cat list: http://www.readersadvice.com/readadv/...

TANJA
http://www.stopyourekillingme.com/Gen...

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments Yes, but the cat isn't a side kick per-say... she always takes him with her and he is almost always featured on the cover!

message 16: by Caity (new)

Caity (adivineeternity) The mystery bit of Guards! Guards! was caused by a dragon and an orangutan is an assisting character in the solving of the whole thing. The description on GR isn't terribly amazing, but the one on wikipedia has more detail:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guards!_...!

message 18: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7690 comments can you clarify - what is the animals are trying to solve the mystery...I was thinking about Three Bags Full - the herd of sheep are trying to solve the mystery of their owners death

message 19: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments *fistishakes at Ms Anderson*
Now I have to bump out another book in favor of the Rabbit :P

message 20: by El (new)

El Dee, I'm going to be reading that one too.

message 21: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Tanja wrote: "*fistishakes at Ms Anderson*
Now I have to bump out another book in favor of the Rabbit :P"

I'm just causing all sorts of trouble for you this time, aren't I? Maybe I should stop posting books lol

I found the Kindle version on Amazon for really cheap...it's the only book I bought specifically for the challenge (Mockingjay doesn't count), though if I'd known about the ebook version sooner, I probably would've bought it anyway.

message 22: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments I only considered it since Rabbit is on Kindle and likely more accessible; I don't own either of the two books I had considered. So Rabbit wins.

message 23: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7690 comments yay, I grabbed it when I was at the library last night...just in case...haha!

El wrote: "Dee, I'm going to be reading that one too."

message 24: by Dlmrose (new)

Cait wrote: "Thank you so much! So, these are the books I've narrowed it down to and I wanted to make sure they work:

The Hound of the Baskervilles for part A.
A Wild Sheep Chase for ..."

yes

message 25: by Dlmrose (new)

Leigh Ann wrote: "The task is much easier to understand now! Thanks!

I'm thinking Altar of Eden for A. Goodreads doesn't have a discription so here's the B&N link: http://search.barnesandnoble.c..."

looting the zoo works for the animal part, Border Patrol agent =detective- all good. Please include info when you post.

message 26: by Dlmrose (new)

Sarah (Mood Reader) wrote: "Would Laura Levine's books work for task 1?"

I didn't see any animals in the Jaine Austen series- do you have a particular title in mind?

message 27: by Dlmrose (new)

Caity wrote: "The mystery bit of Guards! Guards! was caused by a dragon and an orangutan is an assisting character in the solving of the whole thing. The description on GR isn't terribly amazing, but the one on ..."

sure- since the description is a little cryptic, an explanation when you post would be helpful

message 28: by Dlmrose (new)

Liz wrote: "I plan to read the following:
A. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time
B. Crocodile on the Sandbank"

looks good

message 29: by Dlmrose (last edited Aug 24, 2010 12:23PM) (new)

Delicious Dee the book slut wrote: "can you clarify - what is the animals are trying to solve the mystery...I was thinking about Three Bags Full - the herd of sheep are trying to solve the mystery of their owners death"

that works for A- another animals as detectives book is The Unscratchables

message 30: by Caity (new)

Caity (adivineeternity) Dlmrose wrote: "Caity wrote: "The mystery bit of Guards! Guards! was caused by a dragon and an orangutan is an assisting character in the solving of the whole thing. The description on GR isn't terribly amazing, b..."

Excellent. If it doesn't end up working out as I read it, I can always just change books and either use that book for something else or just not use it at all, since I want to read Terry Pratchett's books regardless.

message 31: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachelmanwill) | 60 comments Just wanted to clarify that The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles will work for part B.

message 32: by El (new)

El For Part B I see that the task has changed slightly from a book including an animal in it to a title with an animal in it. So we can no longer use a book that involves animals for that part if it doesn't say the animal's name in the title? Guess I won't be using Three Bags Full after all.

message 33: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7690 comments hey - El - I switched Three Bags Full to part A and planning on using Dead Canaries Don't Sing - canaries for the animal/bird...unless plurals aren't allowed...

message 34: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments For A: Would the Rita Mae Brown Mrs Murphy books work? The first one is Wish You Were Here Her cat and dog solve the mysteries before the people do.

message 35: by El (new)

El Thanks, Dee, I already had something for Part A that I was more interested in reading. I'm just glad I noticed the change before I started.

message 36: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments One more question....For B, does it have to be a mammal or will a spider of firefly, or bee work?

message 37: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7690 comments gotcha...the canary one doesn't look too bad...its about a vet who travels and solves mysteries

El wrote: "Thanks, Dee, I already had something for Part A that I was more interested in reading. I'm just glad I noticed the change before I started."

message 38: by Dlmrose (new)

Rachel (HomeBetweenPages) wrote: "Just wanted to clarify that The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles will work for part B."

yes

message 39: by Dlmrose (new)

Delicious Dee the book slut wrote: "hey - El - I switched Three Bags Full to part A and planning on using Dead Canaries Don't Sing - canaries for the animal/bird...unless plurals aren't allowed..."

plurals are ok

message 40: by Dlmrose (new)

Beth NC wrote: "For A: Would the Rita Mae Brown Mrs Murphy books work? The first one is Wish You Were Here Her cat and dog solve the mysteries before the people do."

yes

message 41: by Dlmrose (new)

Beth NC wrote: "One more question....For B, does it have to be a mammal or will a spider of firefly, or bee work?"

It does not have to be a mammal, but it should not be an insect (or arachnid or similar classifications). Fish, birds, dinosaurs, unicorns are all ok

message 42: by Bluemoon (new)

Bluemoon (bluemoon286) | 1839 comments I found this at the library tonight The Telltale Turtle. The turtle is the only witness to the murder of his owner. A pet psychic is called in to tap into the turtle to see if any info can be gleaned to solve the crime. Would this work for part A? If not I will switch it to part B. Thanks!!

message 43: by Dlmrose (new)

Bluemoon wrote: "I found this at the library tonight The Telltale Turtle. The turtle is the only witness to the murder of his owner. A pet psychic is called in to tap into the turtle to see if any in..."

It works for A

message 44: by Nicki (new)

Nicki (luluminstrel) | 285 comments I can recommend the Elizabeth Peters Amelia Peabody books - there are quite a few with animal names in them, though if you've not read any it's best to start with the first one.

Crocodile on the Sandbank
The Hippopotamus Pool
The Falcon at the Portal
The Ape Who Guards the Balance
Lion in the Valley
The Last Camel Died at Noon
The Snake, the Crocodile and the Dog

message 45: by Caity (new)

Caity (adivineeternity) Ok, I think I have this task figured out, but I want to make sure. I was thinking I could do Catch as Cat Can for part A (already approved) and Bat Wing for part B.

Let me know if I need to find something else for part B.

message 46: by Dlmrose (new)

Caity wrote: "Ok, I think I have this task figured out, but I want to make sure. I was thinking I could do Catch as Cat Can for part A (already approved) and Bat Wing for part B.

Le..."

Rita Mae Brown's Mrs Murphy books work for A, "Bat" +mystery works for B,
all good :)

message 47: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (eagle1964) | 271 comments Nicki (UK) wrote: "So Tears of the Giraffe would now work for B, even though I don't think giraffes are actually involved?"

Since it is in the title and is a mystery it would work

message 48: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (eagle1964) | 271 comments Am I supposed to be answering these questions? But PLEASE continue dlmrose because you are doing a GREATTTTTTTTTTTTTTT job. Please let me know

message 49: by Penny (new)

Penny | 101 comments I need help with B, Does The Freddy the Pig Series
by Walter R. Brooks work? EX. Freddy the Detective. If not please HELP!

For A I'm going with The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time that I see has already been clear.

message 50: by Erin (NY) (new)

Erin (NY) (erin_p) | 629 comments I think I found a book for B: Agathat Christie's Five Little Pigs. I am having a lot of trouble finding something that interests me for part A. Are there any non-traditional mysteries that would fit this? I saw someone listed The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time, but I had already read that. Could someone recommend something in that vein?

« previous 1 3