The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 30.3- Dlmrose's Task: Shipwrecked!

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17400 comments Mod
30.3 - Dlmrose's task: SHIPWRECKED!
Your Summer vacation cruise ship has sunk and you are now alone on a deserted island. You have managed to find survival supplies, but THE HORROR! you have found only TWO books. You may be on the island for a very long time.

Read the two books that you would wish to find.
Optional: Tell us why you chose your books

If you need suggestions OR have suggestions for books to read for this task, please post them here.

message 2: by Dlmrose (new)

placeholder

message 3: by Dlmrose (new)

placeholder

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments Do these books need to help us? For example, when I read the task I think of survival books. I'd rather not read the survival books but is that more of what you were thinking?

message 5: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Hmmmm...when I read the task I considered it two books that you wouldn't mind reading over and over again. Or maybe two very long books so that it will take you awhile to read them. Haha I was going to try to get both long and reread books.

message 6: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments It's subjective. Some may want a survival book while others would want entertainment.

message 7: by Dlmrose (new)

Meghan: I considered it two books that you wouldn't mind reading over and over again. Or maybe two very long books so that it will take you awhile to read them.

Tanja wrote: "It's subjective. Some may want a survival book while others would want entertainment."

Yes!

message 8: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments I'm tempted to do 1 survival book and 1 entertainment. Now to find a funny survival book!

message 9: by Sara ♥ (last edited Aug 23, 2010 03:54PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Of all of the books I love and read over and over, how am I supposed to pick only TWO? This task is DEFINITELY difficult enough to be worth 30 points!!! Geez... *mumbles "only 2..."*

message 10: by Kristina Simon (last edited Aug 23, 2010 08:28PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10790 comments Mod
Tanja wrote: "I'm tempted to do 1 survival book and 1 entertainment. Now to find a funny survival book!"

That was my plan, too! I think I'm going to try Worst Case Scenario Survival Handbook. It looks pretty entertaining ;o). Entertainment's going to be much harder *goes of mumbling with Sara ♥*

message 11: by Erin (NY) (new)

Erin (NY) (erin_p) | 629 comments Do they have to be something we alredy read? Or can they be new books that we would in theory not mind reading over?

message 12: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Haha I was going to try to fit in a book that I haven't read that is supposed to have a "hot male lead". I mean I don't think I could live on a deserted island without a man to swoon over and keep my mind off all the nasty creatures crawling around me while I dream wistfully amazing dreams.

message 13: by Sara ♥ (last edited Aug 23, 2010 10:02PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Yeah... I'm thinking romance novel... and I dunno... haha!

Honestly, I'd probably take a math book, because it would keep my mind busy... Or maybe I should take my Fluid Mechanics textbook... I bet there's enough info in there to help me construct a boat, although ocean water doesn't flow as directionally as water in a channel or river.... ;)

(Of course, I'd ACTUALLY take the Bible as one of my books, but I'm NOT reading the entire Bible for this challenge, I'm sorry! I guess if I DID take the Bible though, I could cut out the textbook, as God gave Noah explicit instructions on how to build a ship... haha...)

message 14: by Dlmrose (new)

Erin (NY) wrote: "Do they have to be something we alredy read? Or can they be new books that we would in theory not mind reading over?"

It's your call

message 15: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Sarah <3, you could take a biblical story if you don't want to read the entire Bible. Or how about those comic book Bibles?

Kristi, I think I may be leaning toward that Survival book. Or if I was silly, why not "Survivor"? But I could always read The Ski Mask Way which a couple of SRC readers have tormented/teased each other to read :P

message 16: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments The comic book Bibles! Those are SO hilarious!

The Ski Mask Way is back! W00t!! I've still not read it....

message 17: by Pinky_rocks (new)

Pinky_rocks | 68 comments I'll probably read The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection From the Living Dead for this challenge, you never know what could happen right? :) Now I just have to find another book...

message 18: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments The Ski Mask Way is going to be the most popular UNREAD book for the SRC. I just know it ;)

Oooh Pinky! Good idea. You never know!

For those who like to read romance, seems another romance reading challenge group discussed this topic but theirs is 3 books: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

message 20: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments The complete works of Jane Austen! Now there's an idea.... Of course I'll probably still take The Viscount Who Loved Me... I LOVE that book!

message 21: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments My keys to survival (successful and unsuccessful) would be in this book - World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War.

I noticed someone was reading it for another task, it is an awesome book, this from someone who doesn't usually like apocalyptic books, but I would highly recommend listening to the book. My son and I listened to on a long trip and ended up sitting in the car at our destination for 10 minutes because we had to hear the end.

message 22: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments With the brilliance of this task I have decided that eReaders need to be waterproof.

message 23: by Dlmrose (new)

Meghan wrote: "With the brilliance of this task I have decided that eReaders need to be waterproof."

and solar powered

message 24: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Yes solar powered is very important too! Then I would have enough books to keep me entertained! Hmmmm...maybe I should find a book that shows a way to get/find/make food when you are on a deserted island and put it on my Nook. Then I would really be set! :)

message 25: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Time to submit your comments to Amazon, Sony and Apple for that solar powered, waterproof eReader!

message 26: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Tanja wrote: "Time to submit your comments to Amazon, Sony and Apple for that solar powered, waterproof eReader!"

Or else waterpowered, solarproof.

message 27: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7514 comments lol...i'm seriously tempted to buy the new waterproof case that m-edge released for kindle

message 28: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Oooh http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news...

You can juice your iPod this way and use your iPod as your kindle!

message 29: by Terri FL (new)

Terri FL (territhemuse) | 527 comments I think I decided to fit in a book my son gave to me Voodoo Histories: The Role of the Conspiracy Theory in Shaping Modern History which isn't my normal fare but I think I can justify it as providing endless exercising for the brain thinking about conspiracy theories. Brain exercise would be important to me if I was alone for a long time!

Also, I'm going to do The Salmon of Doubt: Hitchhiking the Galaxy One Last Time because it makes me laugh (I've read it a couple times) and laughing is important too!

I hope these are ok.

message 30: by Dlmrose (new)

OK!