College Students! discussion

Let's Discuss This Book/Author > One Day - David Nicholls

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tracy (A Good Novel) | 30 comments Anybody else read this one? I picked it up when I learned it's being made into a movie with Jim Sturgess and Anne Hathaway (I love Jim Sturgess). It's got a really interesting, movie-ready premise, but I hated how it all ended up and I'd love to see what others think.

The book is based around two college graduates, Dexter and Emma. Dexter's from money and can get anything he wants; Emma's working-class and very self-conscious. The night of their college graduation, July 15th, 1988, they share a bed (no sex; just kissing and talking). We then get to follow them on that same day over the next twenty years--sometimes they're together on that day, other times not, and there's always the question of what they really could be as a couple. It was a really interesting character study and a sort-of love story.

message 2: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
Ooooooo, thanks for the mention. I likewise love Jim Sturgess, so I will have to pick this up then watch the show.

message 3: by Jen (last edited Sep 15, 2010 09:05AM) (new)

Jen (wishesandwanderlust) | 696 comments I'm currently reading this book. I'm a little more than halfway done with it.

Dexter is kind of annoying me though.

message 4: by Jenna (new)

Jenna Friebel (jenna_friebel) I'll be getting this in at the library tomorrow! It sounds really interesting.

message 5: by Jenna (new)

Jenna Friebel (jenna_friebel) Okay, so I just finished this. I'm glad I knew it would have a sad ending because then I was prepared for it and I could accept it. If I had thought it would end up happily, I would have been really disappointed. I just wonder how they'll do the end of the movie. Anyone have any ideas?

message 6: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
Just bought this one! Hope I get to read it soon!

Tracy (A Good Novel) | 30 comments Trailer is in and it looks great! (Aside from Anne Hathaway's accent, which is... interesting?) Then again, I speak as a Sturgess fan so I'm incredibly biased. ;) July 8th is the date--I think they pushed up the release so it'd be closer to July 15th. :D http://youtu.be/uLUWHW5NxwI

message 8: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlyh12) I didn't know this one would have a sad ending, so I was upset by how it ended. I am still going to see the movie though; I love Anne Hathaway.

message 9: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (ttakats) Kimberly wrote: "I didn't know this one would have a sad ending, so I was upset by how it ended. I am still going to see the movie though; I love Anne Hathaway."

I agree 100%. That came as a total shock and I literally read the same page like 5x to make sure I was reading it right. I would love to watch the movie though!

message 10: by Niel (new)

Niel | 390 comments Ooh I might have to check this book out now. I didn't know that movie was based on a book.

message 11: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
I still need to get started on this. My sister has it and said I can grab it whenever. I wanted to see the movie, Love Jim, but wanted to read the book first.

message 12: by Niel (new)

Niel | 390 comments I haven't seen the movie but I have wanted to and now I need to read the book too

message 13: by Al (new)

Al (alstone) I've read the book and seen the movie. They're both great. While the ending was sad, giving all they went through to be together, I found it satisfying. Many writers are afraid to be cruel to their characters. I like that Nicholls didn't shy away from the harsh realities of life.

From start to finish, their relationship is a rollercoaster ride of emotions. They were always trying to savour that one day, almost as if that day defined their love. That day was the beginning and the end of their relationship. Their relationship was like an hourglass. One part of the glass is always full, the other half empty - a notion of joy and sorrow, perhaps, pursuing each other. The end of the book takes you back to the beginning, which makes me wonder if any of it actually happened. Or, perhaps the hourglass flipped and the cycle must now repeat itself.

It's a circle of life :)

message 14: by Kat (new)

Kat (nyrhtakk) Ahhhh! So exciting that this old thread was revived right now because I'm currently reading it (: my best friend in Australia sent this to me as the first book exchange in our "international library" that we have started.

I'm a little over halfway through and Dex is really driving me crazy. Actually, they both are. I'm not happy with either of the situations and hoping things turn around or do SOMETHING soon.