Writers and Readers discussion

Writers Corner > Characters and Plotlines

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by A.F. (new)

A.F. (scribe77) | 1778 comments Mod
To discuss writing topics, techniques and the writing process.

message 2: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Tyrpak (suzannetyrpak) | 23 comments Do characters create a story, or does the story create characters?

message 3: by A.F. (new)

Suzanne wrote: "Do characters create a story, or does the story create characters?"

For me, characters create the story. My plotlines change as the characters develop.

message 4: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Tyrpak (suzannetyrpak) | 23 comments I've done both.

For the historical novel I'm working on, Vestal Virgin, I read in a travel book that Vestal Virgins were the most powerful women in ancient Rome, sworn to thirty years of chastity, and if that vow were broken they would be buried alive. That's what got me started. Then I "advertised" for characters.

Dating My Vibrator, on the other hand, is completely character driven. The characters determined everything.

So...have you ever had a character take the story in an entirely different direction from what you expected?

message 5: by A.F. (new)

Suzanne wrote: "I've done both.

For the historical novel I'm working on, Vestal Virgin, I read in a travel book that Vestal Virgins were the most powerful women in ancient Rome, sworn to thirty years of chastity..."

Yes. When I was writing Chronicles of the Undead, I had to rework the second diary section three times because the main character refused to cooperate with the plot I originally envisioned. I eventually had to go in the direction the character wanted.

message 6: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Tyrpak (suzannetyrpak) | 23 comments Now I'm intrigued...

(Just checked out Chronicles of the Dead online--wish it was on Kindle.)

message 7: by A.F. (new)

Suzanne wrote: "Now I'm intrigued...

(Just checked out Chronicles of the Dead online--wish it was on Kindle.)"

Unfortunately it's a bit difficult for Canadian writers to publish on Kindle; I am trying to figure out the whole epub conversion though.

message 8: by Joshua (new)

Joshua (JoshuaCaleb) | 12 comments A. F. wrote: "Suzanne wrote: "Now I'm intrigued...

Unfortunately it's a bit difficult for Canadian writers to publish on Kindle; I ..."

didn't amazon just launch their dtp service for canada? I know Warped & Wired is now available on amazon.co.uk in kindle form. Or is it only for us americans?

message 9: by A.F. (new)

Joshua wrote: "A. F. wrote: "Suzanne wrote: "Now I'm intrigued...

Unfortunately it's a bit difficult for Canadian writers to publish on ..."

Possibly, I haven't seen anything on it, but it may be they changed their restrictions. I'll check it out.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

My stories were inspired by the Marvel movies and abandoned places.

message 11: by A.F. (new)

PinkLoki(Shine) wrote: "My stories were inspired by the Marvel movies and abandoned places."

That sounds like an interesting mix.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks! It's different from the ones I've read and watched.

message 13: by Hock (new)

Hock Tjoa (hockgtjoa) | 8 comments A.F. wrote: "Suzanne wrote: "Now I'm intrigued...

Unfortunately it's a bit difficult for Canadian writers to publish on Kindle; I am t..."

Try www.smashwords.com. It has a GREAT style guide (give it close attention); you upload a word document and the site takes it over from there.

You'll have to promote it more than you would for Kindle books.

message 14: by A.F. (new)

Hock wrote: "A.F. wrote: "Suzanne wrote: "Now I'm intrigued...

Unfortunately it's a bit difficult for Canadian writers to publish on K..."

I appreciate the advice, but that discussion was some time ago, and no longer applies.

message 15: by Steven (new)

Steven Williamson (stevewz) | 23 comments Suzanne wrote: "Do characters create a story, or does the story create characters?"

Yes.

The longer answer is it can be either one. I have been inspired by ideas of events and even places, and then populated those places and experienced those events with characters I created for that purpose. I have also started with interesting characters and then created events and places for them to experience.

In the end, both events and characters must be interesting or readers will move on.

message 16: by Jim (last edited May 16, 2016 08:59AM) (new)

Jim Vuksic A novel cannot help but be impacted by the author's personal life experiences, philosophies and prejudices. That said; a writer must constantly strive to ensure that their personality is not imposed upon more than one character within a story. Reaction to various elements within the story line must be compatible with each character's unique background and evolved outlook upon life's lessons and challenges as initially conceived and imposed upon them by their creator - the author..