Fantastic Fantasy and Science Fiction discussion

Recommendations For A Group Read > Recommend a book or series for a group read

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by jD (new)

jD (jd_4everbooked) | 109 comments Mod
I have read hundreds of fantasy and science fiction books that came to me as recommendations from my library or through Goodreads. I would like to have our group read something together in September. To do this I would like to start with some basic criteria that I prefer:
Fantasy
Female writer
Something with a little romance
Some magic
Travel
History (fictional)
Legends(fictional)
If a series, 3 books max

What do you all think? If you have a book in mind, tell us the title and why you are interested in this particular book.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) Ive had this triogly for awhile but havent had the chance to read. it has been recommened by top fantasy authors Elizabeth Haydon..Morgan LLywelyn..a hauntingly beautiful story,rich in texture and language..copelling characters..in the tradition of Marion Zimmer Bradley..Brierley is the last of her race..her powers could bring a swift and painful death..there is adventure/suspense/romance/myths. the first book is Mother Ocean, Daughter Sea the 2nd book The Sea Lark's Song and last Twilight Rising, Serpent's Dreamthis triolgy is by authorDiana Marcellas As I read the back covers it has magic..travel..history..legends/myths and a hero thrown in to help her!

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) Another "looks good" by Anne Bishopis Sebastian and Belladonna
was there ever a 3rd book?

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) I read these by Deborah Chesterawhile back Reign of Shadows Shadow War and last one Realm of LightIt was many years ago but I kept them to re-read..this author also has another longer series..I do remember it had some romance..& good story.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) A really good single read Elantris byBrandon Sandersonthis book grabed me right from the start...re-building of a lost world..suspense..adventure...romance..magic..

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) So far I havent heard of a 3rd for these..maybe someone has? Karavans #1and Deepwood: Karavans #2 byJennifer Roberson

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) Is there a 3rd for these? I really enjoyed Wolfskinand Foxmaskby Juliet Marillier

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) Another single title..The Laurentine Spy byEmily Geelots of action..mystery...romance..magic in a totally different world.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) My all time favorite by Donna GillespieThe Light Bearerand its sequel Lady of the Lightthis is more "woman warrior" type of book but still lots of action...romance...

message 10: by jD (new)

Sandi wrote: "Another "looks good" by Anne Bishopis Sebastian and Belladonna
was there ever a 3rd book?"

I am not sure that there ever was a third one.
There were certainly other characters that could have been central characters in a book. I have to go back and chack.

message 11: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan Sandi wrote: "Is there a 3rd for these? I really enjoyed Wolfskinand Foxmaskby Juliet Marillier"

No, it's just the two. I enjoyed all her books/series, but they really tend to tell the same story.

(hi! I'm new here. nice to meet you all!)

message 12: by jD (new)

Hi Siobhan,

I just started this group a few weeks ago. I wanted an informal format for discussing Fantasy and Science Fiction. I am not hard cord and am looking for those willing to discuss books they loved that fell into this genre. I don't know how to work all the features and technology of an online discussion group but I am willing to learn. Welcome. If you want to do more to expand the capability of the group, I am for that. That goes for everyone.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) Hi Siobhan & welcome to the group! what else have you read & can recommend? Im with jD I tend to go with the female authors..

message 14: by Jesslyn (new)

Jesslyn (jesslynh) | 69 comments Mod
How about The Witches of Eileanan series? It was VERY good and there is romance, magic, dragons, great world-building, etc. Also, its a finished series and IMO, a great example of classic Epic Fantasy.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) Oh yes! good one! I read those many years ago..

message 16: by jD (new)

How many books are in the Witches of Eileanan series? Is there sex? Is there an unpredictable element? I like to worry about the characters.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) Its been awhile..theres "romance" but not "hot sex" more story/magic..its more world building..dragons..but there is six books in total..from last I read.

message 18: by Jesslyn (new)

6 is correct. I'll have to rescind my recommendation as it looks like they're out of print

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) There is always the library! or "used one-line" to buy at. another group I belong to nomnaites a group read for the month..if its OP the "MOD" lets us know were we can get it used..if we wish to..or again the library..if you have a good one ..I dont :(

message 20: by Jesslyn (new)

Recommendations -
Bloodring, 1st in a completed trilogy by Faith Hunter. Some romance, a LOT of magic in an apocalyptic US. They ended up making a video game out of the series.
The Naming: The First Book of Pellinor first in a completed series. I liked this one so much that when it came out in the UK before the US, I paid a lot more just to get it.
Dragon Haven, 1st in a duology by Robin Hobb. I liked it much more than some of her previous books which just depressed me.

Holder of the Lightning1st in a trilogy

Also, I have found over the past year that both Orbit Books and Pyr books are putting out some of the best SF/Fantasy, with Tor coming in 3rd.

Last but not least, the best site for Fantasy books has got to be http://fantasyliterature.com They totally blow me away.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) Great website Jesslyn! thanks :)

message 22: by Jesslyn (new)

I just remembered, if you haven't read Kushiel's Dart, you need too. It is probably the best book I've read in the past 10 years and TRUE Epic Fantasy. Books 1, 2 and 3 are the best--after that it wasn't as good.

Link to series: http://amzn.to/dsdVSp

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) Thanks Jesslyn...I do have the whole series..( not the new one)I just have had so many group reads on the go..now I collected these way back when they first came out & everyone was ya-hooing the books, now Im hearing bad reviews...but then you shouldnt go by that I guess..so did you read the whole series? or stopped at the 3rd? and why is the rest not as good?

message 24: by jD (new)

I have read every one of them. The new one Naamah's Curse was different but it was well written. It skips ahead one generation past the Kushiel. The thing I loved most was the Castiel Brother -- Joslin (might be misspelled). He was awsome.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) I will read these but I think III pass on her next series, didnt look interesting enough. I just picked up by Karen Miller Empress The Riven Kingdom Hammer of God they looked really interesting...are they considered Epic-fantasy?

message 26: by jD (new)

I read Karen Miller's fist trilogy "Innocent Mage" or something like that. this is what I took of her style based on the 3 books I read. The concept was solid and intriguing but she missed the boat on one important element...her characters were not likeable. Asher was the mage and he grated my nerves with his temper and parade of bad decisions. Also that whole trilogy could have been 1 maybe 2 books. There are many scenes that should have been deleted. She would put out story strands that were dead ends that never went anywhere. She would randomly kill off characters that were needed. I don't know if her writing has gotten better. I would study reviews before I invest in any of her writing.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) I looked at both triolgys..and like the sound of this one better than the one you read...III let you know.

Has anyone read anything by Kate Elliott?

message 28: by Clair (new)

Clair (merialc) | 3 comments I would recommend almost anything by Mercedes Lackey with the Arrows of the Queen series (Arrows of the Queen, Arrow's Flight and Arrow's Fall) as a particularly good place to start.

These are the books that I always go back to when I'm in the mood for fantasy, but also need a good cry. I love them to bits and have had to replace a few of my copies already.

message 29: by Jesslyn (new)

I find that Ms Lackey suffers from the non-likable character syndrome as well. I did not like the 'Valdemar?' series at all, but managed to stick with the series she wrote with (I think) James Maxey. Those characters were a bit more likable, but not by much.

message 30: by Anmol (new)

Anmol singh (asmzn2009) | 1 comments hi people, i'm a new member.

My recommendation is for the pellinor series. I got the books way back but didnt get down to actually read them.( was reading the wheel of time series - awesome books)

message 31: by jD (new)

All,

I put this group together so people who like fantasy without the geek element could start discussion threads on series, books, and writers they like or want to know more about. Unfornatuately, I am not tech savvy. If someone wants to volunteer to create a poll, I would love to have one. I want to actually go with a 2011 hit list. I am thinking we do not all have to read the same book but if we make a hit list based on books we have not read yet. I really want to expand my fantasy experience. I hope I am making sense. It's been a long day.

message 32: by Jesslyn (new)

jD wrote: "All,

I put this group together so people who like fantasy without the geek element could start discussion threads on series, books, and writers they like or want to know more about. Unfornatuat..."

I'd be happy to make a poll. Send me an email for what you want.

message 33: by jD (new)

I love you! Let me think on it. I'll get it to you soon. Thanks! Thanks! Thanks!

message 34: by Elizabeth (last edited Feb 01, 2011 02:29AM) (new)

Elizabeth (lchacha) Jesslyn wrote: "I just remembered, if you haven't read Kushiel's Dart, you need too. It is probably the best book I've read in the past 10 years and TRUE Epic Fantasy. Books 1, 2 and 3 are the best--after that i..."

I see that you are active at Goodreads, post on a regular basis and have also read the trilogy that I have started. I need your help in continuing Kushiel's Chosen (Kushiel's Legacy, #2) by Jacqueline Carey

I loved the first book. I am about 100 pages into the second book and it's killing me that Phedre is breaking Joscelin's heart and I feel like slapping her for being so selfish.

From what spoilers I have read I know that they end happily at the end of the book. What I need to know is if Phedre goes back to bedding others in book 3 Kushiel's Avatar (Kushiel's Legacy, #3) by Jacqueline Carey ? I think if I knew the answer to this question I would continue to finish the trilogy.

I am hoping you can give me assurance to continue reading.

Also, in the series, do they ever mention how it is that they do not become pregnant?

message 35: by Jesslyn (new)

Without going into detail and posting 'open' spoiler, let me state that you can continue. ;-)

Also, I don't recall anything about preventing pregnancy, but imagine that it would have been in book one, in the part about pregnancy. Kindle has a full text search, I'll do one and get back to you if I find anything.

message 36: by jD (new)

The pregnancy issue is mentioned. They have to take a drug to get pregnant. I don't remember which ones of the Gods provides this drug or tea or whatever it is. Phedre loves Joscelin. You have to keep that in mind. Like most whores, she can separate what she has with him from her 'craft'. Joscelin not so much but he understands because like her, their Gods use them hard.

message 37: by Jesslyn (new)

Hey! No W word. She's a servant of Naamah!

message 38: by jD (new)

@Jesslyn...LoL. Yeah right.

message 39: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (lchacha) Bah....poor Joscelin!

message 40: by Jesslyn (last edited Feb 07, 2011 06:08PM) (new)

I have a recommendation for a single book. The author may or may not be writing another book in that universe, but I don't anticipate it being a series. Its called <The Enchantment Emporium and is very, very good. Its an Urban Fantasy, but unlike most of what's out there today. It gets 10 out of 5 stars in my book and will remain on my list as one of the best Fantasy books out there.

If we do a group read, I hope that whatever we pick is available in Kindle version as that's all I do these days. Luckily, they just added real page numbers.

I hope we pick one soon as all the recommendations that have been coming in sound good. I've been refraining from re-reads and picking some of them up just in case we pick some of the previously mentioned.
>.

message 41: by jD (new)

I read that one and its good. I could do a re-read because I did not understand it all. It felt like the second book of a series. The author writes as though you are supposed to know some of the rules and history. I hope she plans to write more and make this a series. It was very good!

message 42: by Jesslyn (new)

@jD Did you post the survey somewhere?

message 43: by Raven614 (last edited Feb 09, 2011 07:00AM) (new)

Raven614 | 6 comments Sir Apropos of Nothing by Peter David is a very funny take on fantasy were the main character is the antihero. Highly recommended! Just curious if anyone has read that.

message 44: by jD (new)

Jesslyn wrote: "@jD Did you post the survey somewhere?"

Yeah its on Fantastic Fantasy and Science Fiction in the discussion thread "recommend a group read'. It's a link. Did I do it right?

message 45: by jD (new)

@Raven614. No, I have not read it. I mostly read female writers in the fantasy genre. I'll check it out.
Sir Apropos of Nothing (Sir Apropos of Nothing, #1) by Peter David

message 46: by Jesslyn (new)

Raven614 wrote: "Sir Apropos of Nothing by Peter David is a very funny take on fantasy were the main character is the antihero. Highly recommended! Just curious if anyone has read that."

Sounds good. Just got a sample for my Kindle. Will check out after I'm done with one of my current books. (I gotta keep current reads to 3 or I lose my place)

message 47: by Claire (new)

Claire (teriblestitcher) I've not properly read all the posts so sorry if I repeat a recommendation:
Trudi Canavan has written 2 trilogies The Black Magician and The Age of 5 as well as a prequel to Black Magician: Magician's Apprentice. All have female protagonists in predominantly male worlds.
Another trilogy which seems to tick a lot of boxes is Karen Millers Godspeaker Trilogy which I enjoyed because you follow 2 strong female characters on either side of a conflict.

message 48: by Claire (new)

Claire (belladoll) So I am guessing that our April read was The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms right? =P

message 49: by Naomi (new)

Naomi | 2 comments Sandi wrote: "Is there a 3rd for these? I really enjoyed Wolfskinand Foxmaskby Juliet Marillier"

I haven't read these ones but have read other Juliet Marillier books and can recommend them.

message 50: by jD (new)

Claire wrote: "So I am guessing that our April read was The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms right? =P"

Hi Claire,

Yes. The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms won. I read it and re-read Name of the Wind so I could be ready to discuss them. I did not expect 'Kingdoms' to be so layered. I don't know if there is a way to begin a discussion without giving away spoilers. It's a tricky read. I was thinking I would start a discussion towards the end of the month that permits spoilers. It's a great book.