Writers and Readers discussion

Writers Corner > Questions and Help

Comments Showing 1-50 of 223 (223 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by A.F. (last edited Apr 23, 2015 11:46AM) (new)

A.F. (scribe77) | 1777 comments Mod
Need advice from fellow writers? Got writers block? Free feel to ask for help. Please do not post your promos here.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Yup, I could use some advice. I posted this question on Bestseller Bound earlier tonight, but it can't hurt to ask here too. Do you know where I can find short story readers? I'm looking for readers of non-spec dark fiction. Not necessarily at Goodreads even, but anywhere on the internet. By dark fiction, I specifically mean disturbing writey that contains absolutely no supernatural or fantasy elements; kind of the fiction version of survivor art. There are gay themes in some of these fics, but not all.

Does anyone know of any readers who might be interested in reading fiction like that? There must be a niche audience somewhere for short stories, but I don't know where to look. Can anyone help me?

message 3: by A.F. (new)

Ederyn wrote: "Yup, I could use some advice. I posted this question on Bestseller Bound earlier tonight, but it can't hurt to ask here too. Do you know where I can find short story readers? I'm looking for rea..."

Are you looking for readers to critique your work or just a target audience for your stories?

message 4: by Leonard (new)

Leonard (leonardseet) | 13 comments A. F.,

Do you review books that are published or do you also review those that are about to be published? I have finished my novel and would like some reviews before publishing it because some good reviews (if my novel is good enough to get those reviews) would help to promote the book. Thanks.

message 5: by A.F. (new)

Leonard wrote: "A. F.,

Do you review books that are published or do you also review those that are about to be published? I have finished my novel and would like some reviews before publishing it because some g..."

I review both published and soon-to-be-published novels.
When did you plan to publish?

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

A. F. wrote: Are you looking for readers to critique your work or just a target audience for your stories?

Just a target audience.

message 7: by A.F. (new)

Ederyn wrote: "A. F. wrote: Are you looking for readers to critique your work or just a target audience for your stories?

Just a target audience."

Here's some of the sites where I post stories:

WritersCafe.org is a good site. Members can send read requests to people they connect with on the site and you can get helpful feedback.

Scribd is another good site, but what you post there can be read online or downloaded. They also have a online store where you can sell stories.

Gather.com has a nice community of writers and readers, plus they have some online writers groups.

You can also set up a blog and post stories there.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Ok, thanks!

message 9: by Leonard (new)

Leonard (leonardseet) | 13 comments A. F. wrote: "Leonard wrote: "A. F.,

Do you review books that are published or do you also review those that are about to be published? I have finished my novel and would like some reviews before publishing i..."

Great. I will go to your website and check your guidelines.

It will be around October. Just need to do some preparations.

message 10: by Steve (new)

Steve Lowe (steve_lowe) Ederyn wrote: "Yup, I could use some advice. I posted this question on Bestseller Bound earlier tonight, but it can't hurt to ask here too. Do you know where I can find short story readers? I'm looking for rea..."

I found many friends and helpful review partners here: www.zoetrope.com

I've been a member of that site since 2002 and still take part there.

message 11: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Clement (jaclement) | 29 comments Re short stories, I've heard good things about Critters - not the film but refers to lit-critters!! Only thing is it's limited to scifi / fantasy / horror but if yours fall into any of those categories (and not sure that they do, unless horror applies?) try here:
http://www.critters.org/
JAC

message 12: by Baxter (new)

Baxter Trautman I wonder what other writers think are the best writing books. My favorite is Stephen King's "On Writing."

Tough Love 101 for writers, it's filled with good, simple tips: never use adjectives; avoid "he said, she said" - the dialogue should imply who is speaking...good stuff like that.

What's your favorite and why?

message 13: by A.F. (new)

Baxter wrote: "I wonder what other writers think are the best writing books. My favorite is Stephen King's "On Writing."

Tough Love 101 for writers, it's filled with good, simple tips: never use adjectives; avo..."

I enjoyed On Writing as well.
And there's a nice reference book I use, The Writer's Complete Fantasy Reference.

The Writer's Complete Fantasy Reference An Indispensable Compendium of Myth and Magic by Writer's Digest Editors

message 14: by Amy Eye (new)

Amy Eye | 98 comments A. F. wrote: "Baxter wrote: "I wonder what other writers think are the best writing books. My favorite is Stephen King's "On Writing."

Tough Love 101 for writers, it's filled with good, simple tips: never us..."

I have this book, and I think it is a wonderful reference book!! I will have to find some of my other ones and list them for other fantasy writers.

message 15: by A.F. (last edited Jun 02, 2011 11:38AM) (new)

Amy wrote: "A. F. wrote: "Baxter wrote: "I wonder what other writers think are the best writing books. My favorite is Stephen King's "On Writing."

Tough Love 101 for writers, it's filled with good, simple ti..."

I have a list of books over on another site I could share as well.

message 16: by Amy Eye (new)

Amy Eye | 98 comments That may be something good to list up here, many people haven't the faintest idea where to go for this kind of information! :)

message 17: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Clement (jaclement) | 29 comments On Writ9ing is really interesting. Would love to see your other lists - I picked up a load of tips from a variety of sources so to have them all in one place would be highly useful I'd've thought.
JAC

message 18: by Everly (new)

Everly Anders | 29 comments Hey everyone,
I have a facebook page dedicated to helping to inspire writers. I have over 1,000 followers and they are all so wonderful and contribute to the page. We discuss all sorts of issues and I do daily writing prompts and inspirational quotes. You might want to check it out and see if it can help you get focused.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elle-La...

Here's to good writing!
Elle
Ellelapraim.com

message 19: by Amy Eye (new)

Amy Eye | 98 comments Two other books that I like for fantasy resources are Fabulous Beasts Fabulous Beasts by Malcolm Ashman and Fantasy Encyclopedia Fantasy Encyclopedia by Judy Allen

message 20: by Charity (new)

Charity (charitydlikesit) | 4 comments I have a Question: What exactly does an Editor do?

message 21: by Everly (new)

Everly Anders | 29 comments Charity wrote: "I have a Question: What exactly does an Editor do?"

An editor does several things. They check for spelling and grammer of course. But they also check for things like, flow, tone, making sure it all makes sense, things like that. My editor will catch it when I spell a characters name two different ways, or if I change the name. She also catches things like, if I say my character enters thru a side dorr but 50 pages earlier I said there was only one door in the club, things like that. They really are worth every penny.
Elle
p.s My editors name is Charity!

message 22: by Charity (new)

Charity (charitydlikesit) | 4 comments Thanks for the help!

message 23: by Angela (new)

Angela Smith (dandilyonfluff) | 86 comments I have a question about translations. Does anyone know how that works? Do you pay someone outright to translate your book in another language, and just share royalties and credit with them? So it would have "Translated by" on the cover.

Anyone have any experience with this?

message 24: by C.S. Splitter (new)

C.S. Splitter | 46 comments No experience directly, Angela, but I read Michael J. Sullivan's blog where he talks about just that. http://riyria.blogspot.com/search?upd...

Go to his post of June 12th. The problem seems to be translating colloquialisms. Languages don't translate word for word and the process seems almost humorous.

Splitter

message 25: by Angela (new)

Angela Smith (dandilyonfluff) | 86 comments Thanks Splitter, I appreciate it ;D

message 26: by Jessi (new)

Jessi | 10 comments I have a group question about posting our writing: Does the group therefore own the rights to our writing once it's posted or are we free to send it to publishers as well? Thanks! Want to post some of my stuff soon but wanted to know the guidelines first. Look forward to reading others postings as well.
Jessi

message 27: by A.F. (new)

Jessi wrote: "I have a group question about posting our writing: Does the group therefore own the rights to our writing once it's posted or are we free to send it to publishers as well? Thanks! Want to post som..."

The group doesn't own any rights to your work and you are free to send it where you want.

message 28: by Jessi (new)

Jessi | 10 comments Thanks =)

message 29: by Michael (last edited Oct 06, 2011 04:23AM) (new)

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 63 comments Angela wrote: "I have a question about translations. Does anyone know how that works? Do you pay someone outright to translate your book in another language, and just share royalties and credit with them?"

Most publishers have "scouts" that are paid to look for books that publishers think will be a good fit for the markets they recruit for. Often an author is contacted by one of these scouts to submit their manuscript. If it is selected then a standard publishing contract is offered, but unlike many US contracts this one is usually for a set amount of time. Once signed the publisher pays for the translator, printing, advertising, distribution and the like. You are paid an advance and royalties just like traditional US pubication.

Because Amazon is expanding into foreign markets, some authors such as Joe Konrath is paying for his own translations so he can self-publish in the native language on those platforms. It can be rather expensive so I would not recommend this approach unless you are already generating substantial income from your English speaking sales.

I have an agent that specializes in foreign sales so she knows all the "players" and which are the best houses in what countries etc. I highly recommend that if you do much in the foreign markets to have an agent that is familiar with the laws, international money banking rules etc.

And thanks C.S. for pointing to my blog. The Tralsnation post is: http://riyria.blogspot.com/2011/06/lo...

message 30: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) BookieWormie wrote: "Question topic: Jumping into a different writing genre. Does anyone have any words of wisdom/experience to share concerning authors who start off writing in one genre and then try a different one?"

Use different pen-names! ;-) I'm using this one for genre fiction (mostly adult fantasy and some sci-fi), but next year I'll use another to write contemporary fiction. And I have a third for whenever I make my historical novel readable! ;-)
People like Dean Wesley Smith and his wife have used different pen-names to write in different genres. Of course when you switch genre, you have to start from scratch in building your fan base, etc...

message 31: by A.F. (last edited Oct 06, 2011 12:06PM) (new)

BookieWormie wrote: "Question topic: Jumping into a different writing genre. Does anyone have any words of wisdom/experience to share concerning authors who start off writing in one genre and then try a different one?"

Do your research to get a feel of the new genre and make certain you're going to enjoy writing in it.

message 32: by Chris (new)

Chris Eboch (chriseboch) I'm playing with the blurb to my romantic suspense/Southwestern adventure novel, Rattled. I'd appreciate any feedback! Is this interesting, confusing, or what?

A heretic Spanish priest's gold mine, made even richer by the spoils of bandits and an Apache raider—the lost Victorio Peak treasure is the stuff of legends.

When Erin, a quiet history professor, uncovers a clue to a petroglyph map that may pinpoint the lost treasure cave, she prepares for an adventure. But minutes after her discovery, a hit and run driver nearly kills her. The "accident" seems an unlikely coincidence, especially when followed by a series of break-ins and attacks. Apparently she's not the only one after the treasure. And is Drew, the handsome helicopter pilot who found her bleeding in a ditch, really a hero, or one of the enemy?

She'll need Drew's help to track down the treasure, even though Erin isn't sure she can trust him with her heart. She heads into the New Mexico wilderness with her brainy best friend Camie and a feisty orange cat. The wilderness holds its own dangers, from wild animals and even wilder weather. Plus, the sinister men hunting Erin are determined to follow her all the way to the treasure, no matter where the twisted trail leads. Erin won't give up an important historical find without a fight, but is she ready to risk her life—and her heart?

Just how far will Erin go to find the treasure and discover what she's really made of?

message 33: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 63 comments My "first blush" on it is that it's long...Try making a headline that catches the attention. Then boil it down to a single paragraph no more than 200 words. That's just my 2 cents of course...but you asked so....

message 34: by A.F. (new)

Chris wrote: "I'm playing with the blurb to my romantic suspense/Southwestern adventure novel, Rattled. I'd appreciate any feedback! Is this interesting, confusing, or what?

A heretic Spanish priest's gold mine..."

I'd have to agree with Michael, it's a tad too long. Boil it down to just the vital points and find a hook for the first line.
Maybe something like this:
Spanish gold, bandits and an Apache raider—the lost Victorio Peak treasure, the stuff of legends.

message 35: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 63 comments Agree - my current tagline is 4 words:

Unlikely Heroes...Classic Adventure

message 36: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 63 comments I think I've said this before...but if I haven't - yeah I like yours Gregory.

message 37: by Chris (new)

Chris Eboch (chriseboch) Thanks for the feedback on the Rattled blurb... maybe I should clarify that this is for the back of the book, description on Amazon and so forth, so I need more than just a tagline. Though maybe starting with the tagline would help. I've been calling it "Romantic suspense in the dramatic and deadly New Mexico desert." Need to tighten that a bit, though.

I don't think focusing on the details of the treasure gives the best picture of the book, since it's really not about bandits or Spanish priests, but rather about the modern treasure hunters, but maybe using the phrase "a legendary treasure" somewhere in the tagline would work.

Kris Bock

message 38: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 63 comments You have more room on Amazon than back of book my rules of thumb.

Back of book:
Headline,
1 paragraph description of book
1 paragraph (optional) description if part of a series
1 - 3 quotes from reviewers.

Amazon:
Same as above but make sure you also list all your titles (if a series) in order

message 39: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (kevinhallock) | 60 comments In a short story I'm working on, I have two separate personalities in a single body and those personalities have entirely internal conversations, which is causing some difficulties with my editor. For example, normally a conversation between two people might be written as follows:

"Liking the weather?" Bob said.

"The sun is great, but I hate the heat," John said.

But if the conversation were internal, I'd write:

"Liking the weather?" Bob thought.

"The sun is great, but I hate the heat," John thought.

My editor is having difficulty with me using "thought" instead of "said". She feels the word "thought" designates POV, so the last conversation has two POVs (Bob's and then John's).

I have two questions. Does the word "thought" designate POV in this case? If the answer is yes, what other word might work in place of "thought"?

message 40: by A.F. (new)

Kevin wrote: "In a short story I'm working on, I have two separate personalities in a single body and those personalities have entirely internal conversations, which is causing some difficulties with my editor. ..."

Have you considered doing away with the dialogue tags and using other methods of indicating conversation?

message 41: by Sue (new)

Sue Merrell (suemerrell) | 26 comments I have a question. My book, Great News Town, is about a serial killer. It's been out several months in print and Kindle and sales have been fair.But now I am considering posting it one chapter at a time on a blog, a serial killer serial. The idea would be to build fan base for the upcoming sequel. Have any of you ever tried an online serial? Is it worthwhile? Any hints or warnings?

message 42: by A.F. (new)

Sue wrote: "I have a question. My book, Great News Town, is about a serial killer. It's been out several months in print and Kindle and sales have been fair.But now I am considering posting it one chapter at ..."

I know a few writers who've tried the online serial thing and haven't had any problems. Free online postings are becoming more common these days.

message 43: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 63 comments @Sue, I've not had any experience serializing a novel myself...but those that have (that I've talked to) said it really didn't work well from a sales perspective. Problem is people wait until the "whole thing is out" and are frustrated with getting it a piece at a time. This is seen most easily by podiobooks which does things serially, but find that most of those books don't make a "splash" until the last chapter is released.

message 44: by Sue (new)

Sue Merrell (suemerrell) | 26 comments Thanks AF and Michael. I had not heard of Podiobooks. Intriguing idea. There are so many options these days.

message 45: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Rose wrote: "I'm writing a Doctor Who story but am having trouble thinking up a name for a creature. It's half lizard, half snake, and half croc.Anyone have suggestions?"

Do you want it to sound like an English word? Or are you looking for something more foreign or magical/created sounding?

message 46: by A.F. (last edited Jun 01, 2012 01:17PM) (new)

Rose wrote: "I'm writing a Doctor Who story but am having trouble thinking up a name for a creature. It's half lizard, half snake, and half croc.Anyone have suggestions?"

How about a Venom Wyrm or a Reptilient or Slither Serpent?

message 47: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (kevinhallock) | 60 comments Slinoc.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Rose wrote: "I'm writing a Doctor Who story but am having trouble thinking up a name for a creature. It's half lizard, half snake, and half croc.Anyone have suggestions?"

Snadragator with the accent on the second syllable and the "a" after the "g" with the long vowel sound.

Or if you are on speaking terms "Bubba".

Bob Cherny

message 49: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (sweetlykayla) This may just be me, and I'm a bit curious to see if others do this, but I find that it helps to take online quizzes from my characters POV to overcome writer's block. Does anyone else do this?

message 50: by A.F. (new)

Kayla wrote: "This may just be me, and I'm a bit curious to see if others do this, but I find that it helps to take online quizzes from my characters POV to overcome writer's block. Does anyone else do this?"

That sounds like an intriguing idea, similar to doing a character interview I would think.

« previous 1 3 4 5