Outhouse of Uncool discussion

The Library > For all Harry Potter nerds

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't have this edition, but I'd like to. What a deal!!

http://www.amazon.com/Harry-Potter-De...

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Twenty bucks? Hell to the yeah.

Jackie "the Librarian" Heck, yeah! Cool cover art...

message 4: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) *weeps silently*

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Why are you weeping? Do you feel left out?

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

You can be a harry potter nerd, too, Amelia, I promise!

message 7: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) No, I'm weeping because I'm still boycotting Amazon, until Booby gives me the all clear...but she said it'd take a while.

Jackie "the Librarian" Yeah, you could buy it somewhere else, but it would cost a lot more.

message 9: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Hence the weeping...

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Ah. Gotcha.

If I boycotted every business that sold a product I didn't agree with or something, I'd have to... I don't know... become Amish.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Why are you boycotting Amazon? I didn't hear that bit of news...

message 12: by Lori (new)

Lori Something about them selling cock (as in chicken) magazines and ads for cock fighting.

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) They sell a cockfighting magazine.

message 14: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Yeah, but it's so unnecessary. I get what you're saying. But, if you never take a stand on anything, what then? It's the principle.

I can't even imagine the scary people who get their rocks off watching two animals peck each other to death. Why would a company as successful as Amazon need to go there? It makes me feel ill.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I think Amazon is getting too big for their britches if you ask me:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage...

message 16: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Sarah luv, I just ordered the first 5 HPs. They didn't have the last two on my SF bookclub site. I think they can't be "too new" to be on there. But, it'll take me a bit to get through those five, after all. I can always go to B&N for the last two if I have to. Can't beat the first 5 for $50.00, right?

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I wish I had known you needed them. I just sold a never-read copy of the 7th one to a used book store.

message 18: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Well, girls...the first five HPs arrived today! And, I was bought the 7th, it's waiting for me for when I go to San Francisco in September...so, book 6 from B&N and I'm all set! Think I can read all five by Sept. with the new Twilight out in two weeks? Hmmmmm, it'll be interesting to see. I've still got 600 pgs to go in this RR Martin book. I better get to work, eh?

Jackie "the Librarian" You can do it, Ames! Read, read, read! Read like the wind!

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) You can definitely do it by September. I read each one in a day when they first came out, but I don't recommend going that fast. I think you miss stuff.

Oooh, I'm so excited for you!!!!!!!!!

message 21: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) The first two are decidedly shorter, but Goblet and Order of the Phoenix may take me longer!

message 22: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) If I'm not around as much, you two know why...I'm on a mission!

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Oh definitely. I just devoured OotP because I couldn't wait to get to the end and find out... wait... you haven't seen the movie right? Nevermind.

message 24: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) The book? Me too.

Jackie "the Librarian" Yeah, the books definitely get darker and sadder as they go along.

message 26: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I'll never forget reading Goblet of Fire for the first time. Fairly light, fun, magic stuff with great comedy and then you turn the page and WHAM!!! ****** dies!

message 27: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) My least favorite of the films is GoF. I HATED IT.

The best thing about the films is the casting. I think the cast is perfect in almost every instance.

message 28: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Alan Rickman as Snape was genius. I'm not really a fan of Michael Gambon as Dumbledore, though. They had it right the first time with Richard Harris, may he rest in peace.

#1 pet peeve of the movies: All the muggle clothing!

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Right? Especially when you consider the fact that Hermione isn't supposed to be pretty until the Yule Ball in GoF.

message 30: by Meels (last edited Jul 15, 2008 02:58PM) (new)

Meels (amelia) I'm 100 pages into the first, that's 1/3. I am enjoying it so far, but feel a bit like I wish I would have read them before I saw the films as there is already a pretty clear picture in my head. However, I am enjoying the extra bits the book has to offer, literature seems such a more encompassing medium...unless you have no imagination I suppose. I don't have a problem with her writing style at all, which I had heard was both, "wonderful" and "unreadable", depending on who you were speaking to. I think I am going to enjoy keeping this promise little Sarah girl!

(P.S. Going to SF in Sept to visit Charissa, you better not wimp out and not come see me !)

message 31: by Sarah (last edited Jul 15, 2008 03:52PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Yay! I think you'll find that not only do the books get darker as they go on, they also get deeper. One of the things I like about them is that the books "grew up" along with the character.

Oh, Amy, I will try so hard! If only you knew all the drama that went down last week... I was sad because I really wanted to meet Ms. Montambo!

message 32: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Also, Charissa doesn't live in SF. Are you going to be visiting her on Petaluma? Or are the two of you going on a vacation in SF together?

message 33: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) No, I'm going to stay with Charissa. I just say SF because it's easier. If I said Petaluma to anyone here they would just ask, "Where?", and I'd have to say, "Just North of SF" anyway.

I'm about half way through now, and I took tomorrow off. Of course, now I have to take the OTHER cat to the vet, he's got a swollen jaw. And, then I am supposed to have lunch with my step-mom's fiance. Other than that, it's a chill day of reading HP!

message 34: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Well shoot, girl, if you're gonna be in Petaluma then I say hells to the yeah! And I know Charissa doesn't drink but maybe you and I could hit a couple of wineries?

message 35: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) So I just found out that Edward in Twilight will be played by Cedric Diggory!

message 36: by Meels (last edited Jul 28, 2008 03:21PM) (new)

Meels (amelia) Old News, Sarah dear...

I saw the trailer before Hancock, it's going to be just, "okay" I'm sure.

(Hancock, by the way, is a total rental!)

message 37: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) The new Harry Potter movie release has been moved to Summer 2009! Bastards!

http://news.google.com/news?rls=com.m...

Jackie "the Librarian" I just read that, too. Noooooooo!!!! They say that summer is better for families. Who cares!

Warner Bros., a unit of Time Warner Inc (TWX.N: Quote,Profile, Research, Stock Buzz), said it had decided to make the change to bolster its release schedule for the lucrative summer moviegoing season -- a period that can account for as much as 40 percent of Hollywood's annual box office receipts.
Warner Bros. President Alan Horn said the studio was also still feeling repercussions from the three-month Hollywood screenwriters strike that ended in February but has "impacted the readiness of scripts for other films."
"We know the summer season is an ideal window for a family ... release, as proven by the success of our last Harry Potter film, which is the second-highest grossing film in the franchise, behind only the first installment," Horn said.
The studio said the change of date would not alter production plans for the final, two-part Potter movie adventure, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows." The release date for part one is tentatively set for November 2010.

message 39: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Stupid stupid-heads. Now fans are going to have to wait another YEAR when we were all so looking forward to the fall! My friend knitted me a Gryffindor scarf for my birthday and I was planning to wear it, but it'll be too hot in JULY!

*shakes fist*

Jackie "the Librarian" Stupid studio release date decider people!

*stomps feet, makes a grumpy face in solidarity with Sarah*

message 41: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I fart in their general direction!! Their mothers smell of elderberries!

message 42: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I think the real reason for the delay is because in November, Dan Radcliffe will be on Broadway in Equus. So, not only will he be unavailable to promote Harry Potter, he'll also be appearing nude and simulating sex on stage. That's not exactly a kid-friendly image, and WB probably is uncomfortable with it.