Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > The "N-Word" issue...

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (last edited Aug 18, 2010 04:19PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Apparently Dr. Laura (who I don't think I've ever heard in my life and I know nothing about) is in trouble for saying what most people call "The N-Word" on Larry King's show (apparently some people still watch Larry King).

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/19/art...

Louis CK, by the way, has an excellent bit about people (like me, I guess) who actually use the phrase "The N Word". Oh, LOTS OF SWEARING in this sixty second clip. Cover the ears of small children in the vicinity before you watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqwj--...

I get Louie CK's point, and I try not to use that phrase in any form. What do you think?

message 2: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Oops, my bad, thanks for the clarification, bun.

message 3: by RandomAnthony (last edited Aug 18, 2010 04:23PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I just want to add, by the way, that this lady must be completely out of touch because I thought this was a controversy for, oh, 1974 or so. Has she never heard of this issue before? Between this and the mosque fighting...(and I should say I'm pro-mosque and anti-Dr. Laura, for the record) I don't know why these stories seem to be in the media so much when there are so many other important issues on which we could focus. Misha, anybody, help me understand. I know that sounds trite. And maybe these issues ARE important, yes, I guess they are, and there must be a symbolism inherent in them that catch the public's attention on some level I don't understand.

message 4: by Brittomart (last edited Aug 18, 2010 06:10PM) (new)

Brittomart There's a difference between a black person saying "Look at this nigga" and a white person saying, "Look at that nigger." I can't explain it, but there is. I listened to the audio, and Dr. Laura was way out of line, basically saying that the (black)caller's (white) husband's family and friends were right to say racist things to her, and basically that was the price of being in an interracial relationship.

message 5: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24107 comments Mod
Dr. Laura knows very clearly why it is objectionable for a white person to say nigger but not necessarily a black person - she chooses to ignore the reasons why and pretend that racist epithets are the same coming from all people. Dr. Laura likes to pretend there's no such thing as nuance. She is morally black and white (Manichean, not skin tone) on issues. Which is fine for some issues, but ignorant on other issues. She is an utter idiot - purposefully obtuse - and sometimes chooses to be a demagogue, as she did in this instance.

To say that she is out of touch - yes, true, but it doesn't even scratch the surface. That's about #17 on the list of 100 most offensive things about her.

The caller was a black woman married to a white man and was complaining that when his friends came over, everything was about race, and she was treated as some racial oddity. Dr. Laura's attitude was "well, if you didn't want that to happen to you, why did you marry outside your race?" Um, is that really the best response one could come up with????

message 6: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11617 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "The caller was a black woman married to a white man and was complaining that when his friends came over, everything was about race, and she was treated as some racial oddity."

This happens a lot with my gay friends. When they are part of a larger (primarily het) group, the topic invariably gets around to gay.

message 7: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24107 comments Mod
I find that odd. If people are friends, why would they bring up topics that put the minority group on the spot? And what about gayness are they discussing? Is it still a huge mystery?

message 8: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11617 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "I find that odd. If people are friends, why would they bring up topics that put the minority group on the spot? And what about gayness are they discussing? Is it still a huge mystery?"

The most basic comment is, "so do you think that guy is cute?" Others might be, "doesn't it hurt when you... you know," or "how can you be attracted to a guy's hairy ass."

Perhaps it comes from being somewhat uncomfortable?

message 9: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments no one can say that word who is not black. and some blacks can't even say it. it is the only word really like that. no equivalent. not even any other slurs have the same outrage. right? no. fair. no? not even white rappers or comics can use it. it is not even the same word when used by blacks as it is to non-blacks. not even close. it is like it has a far different meaning.

no way she can do this and get by with it. flat stupid

message 10: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart It's called just-world hypothesis, and it's a fallacy.

message 11: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart Oh, what Dr. Laura calls "making people take responsibility," and her attitude that people only have problems because they brought it on themselves.

message 12: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments That definitely is a fallacy.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Ok, my two-cents worth: Dr. Laura is an idiot; always has been one and, apparently, will always be one. I agree with RA-- is this something that really needs to be re-examined? And is it that news worthy? Saying the word in question is patently offensive because of the history and intent surrounding the word. Some people will say it simply because it gets others hackles up.
What I think is strange is that there isn't a word that gets white males as fired up as this word or the infamous 'C' word...at least none that I can think of.

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I've never been able to stand Dr. Laura. Her words were offensive, her apology was offensive, and her grasp of the First Amendment is shaky at best.

And now Sarah Palin has weighed in with the highly inappropriate tweet "Dr.Laura:don't retreat...reload! (Steps aside bc her 1st Amend.rights ceased 2exist thx 2activists trying 2silence"isn't American,not fair")"

Seriously. "Don't retreat...reload" is about the wrongest thing she could possibly say in this situation. She also shows no understanding of the First Amendment.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

This is proof that ignorance is bliss Sarah.

message 16: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Wow. I think in both cases, ignorance is just ignorance.

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Hee.
I don't know which is worse: Dr. Laura (ignorance + intelligence) or Palin (ignorance + loaded weapons). That is not a knock against our weapon-loading TC brethren.

message 18: by Pat (new)

Pat (patb37) When this whole controversy hit the news, all I thought was "Dr Laura is still on the radio?".

message 19: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments Me too, Pat. I had no idea.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Heh. Keep talking, Dr. Laura. Tell us again why libraries are bad, that'll go over well, too.

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments It's kind of funny that Sarah Palin has leaped to her defense considering that Dr. Laura actually excoriated Palin during the McCain campaign for leaving behind an infant with Down Syndrome while she pursued a career.

Books Ring Mah Bell Dr. Laura.

Sarah Palin.

Ick.

you all have spoken well.
(unlike the ladies above.)

Use of the N word is not acceptable by white folk.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.