Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2011 > Meaghan's 50 in a Year (2010 - 2011)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Meaghan (last edited Aug 30, 2010 01:10PM) (new)

Meaghan (littleichabod) i'm starting this challenge on august 18th 2010, and my year will be over august 18th 2011.

1. the american painter emma dial - samantha peale
2. her fearful symmetry - audrey niffenegger

(countdown: 48 to go!)

message 2: by Carol (last edited Aug 20, 2010 10:36AM) (new)

Carol Neman | 469 comments It will help to list the authors too...that way we can tell which books are part of a series...or are written by someone we know.

Oh, and welcome to 50 books a year...

message 3: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan (littleichabod) 3. the swan thieves - elizabeth kostova

(countdown: 47 to go)

message 4: by Liz (new)

Liz (littlewomen) | 18 comments You have already finished 3 in less than one month! that is a good start. Welcome to 50 books a year!

message 5: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan (littleichabod) Thank you! I've had a lot of time on my hands, but it will probably slowed down because I've just started school.

message 6: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan (littleichabod) 4. the shadow of the wind - carlos ruiz zafon

message 7: by Meaghan (last edited Sep 15, 2010 12:13PM) (new)

Meaghan (littleichabod) 5. the turn of the screw - henry james

(countdown: 45 to go!)

message 8: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan (littleichabod) 6. peyton place - grace metalious

message 9: by Carol (last edited Sep 22, 2010 02:47PM) (new)

Carol Neman | 469 comments Wow, Meaghan, Peyton Place! I remember when the book first came out...it was the scandal of the (new) century...it had stuff in it that wasn't supposed to be read by 'decent folk'...banned in school libraries. I didn't actually get to read it until many years later, after the TV show went off the air...but let me tell you, the show was tame next to the book, I guess they couldn't put stuff like that on tv then...

Now, it isn't even as edgy as what they put on tv...vampires, werewolves, CSI forensics in real-time, schemes (Leverage), spies...I could go on. But PP started it all...the breakout story. Peyton Place was synonomous for lust, greed, and 'doing the WRONG thing' by your neighbor...

message 10: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan (littleichabod) I know, one of my professors mentioned it and how it was so scandalous when first published, but that it would look tame in today's standards. But it was very interesting, I had trouble putting it down. I wish I could find some way to watch the TV show, just to see what it was like...

message 11: by Carol (new)

Carol Neman | 469 comments Have you tried YouTube?

message 12: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan (littleichabod) No, I never thought of that. But I'll try it now.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I really enjoyed Peyton Place. My book club chose it for one of their books, and although it was a slow start I ate it up once I got going. Have you seen the movie?

message 14: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan (littleichabod) Not yet, but I put it on my Netflix queue, so hopefully it will come in soon. I also really want to read the sequel to it

message 15: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan (littleichabod) 7. the sun also rises - ernest hemingway

for some reason when i tried to read this book several years ago, i hated it. but reading it through, this time, i absolutely loved it! (except robert cohn.)

(43 to go!!)

message 16: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan (littleichabod) 8. jane eyre - charlotte bronte

message 17: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan (littleichabod) 9. the lost hero - rick riordan

(41 to go)

message 18: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan (littleichabod) 10. the last lecture - randy pausch

first of all, let me mention that i would not have read this book were it not required reading for a class. however, i am glad that i did. randy pausch gives honest advice that is worth following and i'm sure that both his lecture and his book affected many lives. i know that he made me consider many things as i'm just beginning college, hopefully i won't forget them.

message 19: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan (littleichabod) 11. the complete persepolis - marjane satrapi

(39 left!!)

message 20: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan (littleichabod) 12. the great gatsby - f. scott fitzgerald

message 21: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan (littleichabod) 13. fledgling - octavia butler

(countdown: 37 more)

message 22: by Carol (last edited Oct 25, 2010 09:30AM) (new)

Carol Neman | 469 comments There is a nice, long, review on the icon page (go up to top, click on 'find books', type in Fledgling - no e - and click on the book icon of Fledgling by Octavia Butler -- there is more than one book with this title.) The first review down should be the one by JO. It is very long and has 21 or so comments, very interesting discussion of the book and it's contents.

Also, here is information about the author, Octavia Butler... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octavia_...

message 23: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan (littleichabod) Thanks for that, it was interesting to see what other people thought of the book, and to get recommendations for other books. And I enjoyed reading about Butler, it was especially helpful because I may write about Fledgling for my final paper.

message 24: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan (littleichabod) 14. the girl with the dragon tattoo - stieg larsson

message 25: by Jaleh Rose (new)

Jaleh Rose Meaghan, what did you think of the girl with the dragon tattoo? I just bought it...it will probably still be awhile until I get around to reading it, but I was wondering if you enjoyed it.

message 26: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan (littleichabod) I really enjoyed it. There were a few scenes that were pretty graphic and there were a lot of details about swedish finances, but I didn't mind because I just got so into the book. I'm on the train home right now and I'm so excited to steal the 2nd one from my mom.I would definitely recommend it.

message 27: by Carol (new)

Carol Neman | 469 comments Meaghan, I don't mean to be bossy, but you can delete one of them ...(the last post was somehow duplicated, and you're the only one who CAN delete the 2nd one).

message 28: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan (littleichabod) 15. the girl who played with fire - stieg larsson

(countdown: 35 to go)

message 29: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan (littleichabod) 16. mrs. dalloway - virginia woolf

message 30: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan (littleichabod) 17. the girl who kicked the hornet's nest - stieg larsson

message 31: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan (littleichabod) 18. handmade love - julie enszer

message 32: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan (littleichabod) 19. the concubine - elechi amadi

message 33: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan (littleichabod) 20. the hunger games - suzanne collins

21. catching fire - suzanne collins

22. mockingjay - suzanne collins

message 34: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan (littleichabod) 23. the color purple - alice walker

message 35: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan (littleichabod) 24. the sunflower - simon wiesenthal

message 36: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan (littleichabod) 25. the lord of the rings: the fellowship of the ring - j.r.r. tolkien

message 37: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan (littleichabod) 26. what we say goes: conversations on U.S. power in a changing world - noam chomsky

message 38: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan (littleichabod) 27. true grit - charles portis

message 39: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan (littleichabod) 28. the tempest - shakespeare

message 40: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan (littleichabod) 29. a tempest - aimé césaire

message 41: by Meaghan (last edited Mar 29, 2011 03:33PM) (new)

Meaghan (littleichabod) 30. the professor and the madman: a tale of murder, insanity, and the making of the oxford english dictionary - simon winchester

countdown: 20 to go!

message 42: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan (littleichabod) 31. city of glass - paul auster

message 43: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan (littleichabod) 32. limitless - alan glynn

33. game of thrones - george r.r. martin

message 44: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan (littleichabod) 34. clash of kings - george r.r. martin

message 45: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan (littleichabod) 35. storm of swords - george r.r. martin

message 46: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan (littleichabod) 36. a feast for crows - george r.r. martin

I can't believe that it has been (about) four years since this book was written and the next one still isn't out. The next one is the fifth out of a predicted seven books, each with 4-5 years in between. Now that is just ridiculous!

message 47: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan (littleichabod) 37. i am number four - pitticus lore

message 48: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan (littleichabod) 38. dance with dragons - george r.r. martin

The first half of this book was slow and I couldn't really get in to it, but the second half more than made up for it. Only 5 years until the next book!

And I may or may not make it to 50 before the end of August, I have been a lot busier than expected. It may be 50 books in 13 months...

message 49: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan (littleichabod) 39. sisterhood everlasting: a novel - ann brashares

This book was amazing. I'm not ashamed to say that I cried during most of it, as I was warned would happen. It was a perfect way to end this series.

message 50: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan (littleichabod) 40. never let me go - kazuo ishiguro

countdown: 10 to go!

« previous 1