SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

Other Discussions & Chats > What do you do with your old books?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
What do you do with your old books?

Do you give to them to someone else?
Sell them?
Hoard them in a box?

message 2: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith If I liked a book or think I need to read it again (some books should never be read just once), I keep it.

If I didn't like it, I give it away on Bookmooch in exchange for other books. When I'm running out of space (like now) I try and decide which books I will never read or re-read and list those on Bookmooch. If the book is heavy and too expensive to post, I sell it.

message 3: by Lu (last edited Aug 18, 2010 12:41PM) (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
I keep 90% of my books. They are normally the ones i will read again, or just really liked!

I am trying to get myself in gear and use bookmooch, but I'm also planning a big giveaway on my blog! So will see what's left after that :)

I could never keep all my books :( My boyfriend won't be happy if I say: "can we get another bookcase?"
Lol but mostly I'm running out of space :P

message 4: by Crusader (new)

Crusader (crusaderza) | 2446 comments Mod
I keep all my books. It's sacrilege to get rid of any book. I'm like a mini black hole - once a book gets into my clutches it isn't going to be leaving...

message 5: by Naz (new)

Naz (nazz) | 615 comments If we hadn't moved I'd still have about 10 big boxes full of books. Sadly they mostly gone but I still have enough to keep me busy for months to come.

I was thinking (since I ran out of shelves) to buy a few of those pretty boxes you get from @home and Mr Price and store some in there in a corner somewhere just coz I think they pretty :)

message 6: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Naz wrote: "I was thinking (since I ran out of shelves) to buy a few of those pretty boxes you get from @home and Mr Price and store some in there in a corner somewhere just coz I think they pretty :)"

I wanted to do that too! And I might just have to, at the rate I'm going. I wonder if you can stack those boxes to make a new shelf...

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Naz I love your idea!!!!
I'm very specific when it comes to buying books. I like to collect series, and therefore wont give away any of my books. But I do have some old books that I inherited from my family that I know I will never read, I usually give them to a local bookstore (Because only old ladies would want to read them) in exchange for credit so I can pick out a new one.

Like I said, when I buy books I'm very specific. I love reading the ebook format of books, and if I loved the book I'll get a copy. I usually get copies of books I really did love

message 8: by Naz (new)

Naz (nazz) | 615 comments You can Lauren I tried it with my cousins collection of boxes to see how they'd look.. Its pretty :)

Thanks Niecole, I have a ton of ebook's that a friend of mine gave me. Mostly random stuff that I haven't even heard of let alone read but I think I have about 1500 authors but I still prefer having the books.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I know... I do love books, but most of the books I got are these really OLD afrikaans love stories, you know, the ones that are all the same just with different characters...

When my mom still had her shop in Cape Town she got us this huge bookshelf... its as tall as I am and rather wide, but its got only 3 shelves (which suck) but the shelves are large, so instead of stacking the books side by side I tend to stack them on top of one another. But we use this bookselve for our Encyclopedias etc...

message 10: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith I pack my books horizontally too. Actually, I have to, in order to use the space more efficiently or most of my books would be piled on the floor.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Jip, same here... but when my dogs were younger I couldnt stack any books on the bottom selves, Oscar would munch them!!!!