Software Engineering discussion

Beautiful Code > Labor-Saving Architecture: An Object-Oriented Framework for Networked Software

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brad (new)

Brad (bradrubin) | 264 comments Mod
There are time when I am amazed at how much can be accomplished with an elegant line of code, and other times when I am amazed and how many lines of code are used to implement something seemingly simple. I had the latter thought when I read about the completely OO buzzword compliant Rube Goldberg logging solution. After all, all we are talking about is building a logging server!

I am being somewhat unfair because logging servers have some requirements that are not apparent (at least to me) on the surface, but do we really need all of this machinery? Can we let go of some of the requirements in exchange for simplicity? For example, do we really need to support a full buffet of threading and locking models?

As an aside, I am seeing increased reference to Inversion of Control and Dependency Injection patterns... they are coming up in the iOS programming that I am now doing. I like the "Hollywood Principle" moniker... "don't call us, we'll call you".

message 2: by Erik (new)

Erik | 165 comments This solution sure looks nicer than the log4cxx library that my company uses. Log4cxx is a 19MB+ library that we use for "fprintf". I'm sure there are lots of other good things about the log4cxx, but we don't use them.

This chapter had a nice feel like it was written for and belonged in this book. Some of the chapters had been wierd topics or felt like a cut/paste from some other documents.