SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

This, That or the Other > Next Book Choice: Challenge v. Mood v. Random

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28169 comments How do you pick what to read next?

Do you tend to:
Challenges? Let your challenge TBR list guide you?
Mood? Pick whatever you're in the mood for ... touchy-feely, kick-ass action, fantasy land?
Random? Grab something from your stack and go for it?

Have you ever tried a random book selector online? If you're curious, check out these sites. They can be helpful or way off, just depends, I guess. :)

The Book Seer and Your Next Read

message 2: by Laura Lulu (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments Challenges are my guiding force. :) I can then pick from my challenge books what I'm in the mood for, but that gets harder as we get closer to the end of the month. :)

message 3: by Jayded (new)

Jayded mood. always.

message 4: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 145 comments Oh, me too. I always choose the next book(s) according to my mood, and I often have at least four going at any one time. Then I switch among them according to that moment's whim.

Sallie(GeorgiaGirl) (shuga) | 1103 comments challenges & mood

message 6: by Laura Lulu (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments It's not that challenges have me reading something I don't want to read--I don't ever do that--every book I use in a challenge is a book I want to read. But I have almost 1000 books on my TBR shelf, so challenges actually help me when deciding what to read next. Otherwise I'd never be able to make a decision with that much to choose from! :)

message 7: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (needsun) | 60 comments I am determined to complete 12 series right now, even though my TBR is enormous, that narrows down my choices. The series are all quite different so I do choose depending on my mood.

Then again, I do pick randomly at times, just because...lol

I am going to check out The Book Seer and Your Next Read

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 1854 comments I tend to look at the challenge books first, if there's nothing there I want to read I'll see if something else fits, if not then I just go on my mood though I sometimes pick up books on a whim. Every now and then I see what others are reading and pick one of them.

message 9: by Shelleyrae (last edited Aug 19, 2010 07:37PM) (new)

Shelleyrae at Book'd Out | 346 comments My mood according to the books I still have to read for challenges pretty much - or whatever is due back at the library first lol

message 10: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28169 comments I typically check my challenge TBR 1st, then library due dates, then go for whim if nothing looks interesting at the moment.

Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos) | 1192 comments I'm a little mood reader and I read from my challenges

message 12: by new_user (new)

new_user Mood, in large part. If I'm not in the mood, I won't appreciate the book I'm reading. If the book is a galley or ARC, I also tend to read those first, so I can finish the review. But I also very frequently like to pick up a book that's on TBR if I notice a friend is reading it. It's fun reading together! :)

message 13: by Laura Lulu (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments new_user wrote: "But I also very frequently like to pick up a book that's on TBR if I notice a friend is reading it. It's fun reading together! :)"

True dat. So go start the Downside Ghosts series. ;)

message 14: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28169 comments Pushy, pushy! LOL!

message 15: by Laura Lulu (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments I just finished the 2nd one and damn, freakin' awesome. In a horribly dark & depressing way. ;)

I so want to pick up the next one right this stinkin' second, but my alarm goes off in 5 hours to get the kiddos up for school, so I must be responsible. :)

message 16: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28169 comments LOL! Get some sleep, it'll still be there. :)

message 17: by new_user (new)

new_user LOL, Laura. It's going to have to wait, as there are a few other books in line first, but I'll get to it. ;)

message 18: by Laura Lulu (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments Fine. ::pouting::

message 19: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (needsun) | 60 comments This series is in so many threads and worth every wonderful mention!

message 20: by new_user (new)

new_user Laura Lulu wrote: "Fine. ::pouting::"

LOL! At least if I read it and like it, you'll be able to say I told you so! LOL.

message 21: by Laura Lulu (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments new_user wrote: "Laura Lulu wrote: "Fine. ::pouting::"

LOL! At least if I read it and like it, you'll be able to say I told you so! LOL."

I'm looking forward to it. :)

message 22: by Angi (new)

Angi | 485 comments Usually whatever I'm in the mood for. If I've gotten booksfree, I'll try to read those before I read what I have on my own bookshelf so I can send them back and get more! :)

Steph, I LOVE the sites you posted for the next read! Thanks! I never knew anything like that existed. Very cool indeed.

message 23: by Jackie M (new)

Jackie M | 695 comments I usually choose a book depending on my mood and I always try to read library books as soon as possible and then move on to the ones I own.

message 24: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28169 comments Angi wrote: "Usually whatever I'm in the mood for. If I've gotten booksfree, I'll try to read those before I read what I have on my own bookshelf so I can send them back and get more! :)

Steph, I LOVE the si..."

Welcome. :)

message 25: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 13, 2010 01:36PM) (new)

I usually choose what I'm in the mood for, but sometimes I just pick something randomly. Although if that's the case, I'm more likely to put it back on the shelf and leave it there until my moods right anyway ;)

message 26: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6371 comments Laura Lulu wrote: "Challenges are my guiding force. :) I can then pick from my challenge books what I'm in the mood for, but that gets harder as we get closer to the end of the month. :)"
I'm the same way...
Before I started challenges, I'd sit in front of the bookshelf and just stare...unable to decide! Now I just look at the list, and if something doesn't catch my mood, just pick one at random. The choice usually works out, too.

message 27: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacybinnj) | 55 comments I go by library due dates. I have a thing where I feel the need to always read 100% of what I check out of the library. Since I usually leave with my arms full, I don't get to pick very often from my own books.

message 28: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 2423 comments I read by mood or I won't enjoy the book. I love challenges but I never force myself to read a book I'm not in the mood for just to complete a challenge. Where's the fun in that? I don't do challneges where I have to list the books ahead of time. I want to read what I feel like reading,when I feel like reading it.

I get books from Booksfree and I do make those my priority when I have one. I get more out of the service if I read and return them quickly.

As for library books, I figure if I have to return it unread, then I can always get it again when I have the time.

I do 3 trading sites and I don't make WL books a priority read either unless I need pts on one of them.

message 29: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 2423 comments I only let challenges pick a book for me if I just can't decide what to read. Then I'll look over my TBR for something that fills a challenge spot.

message 30: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) | 2883 comments I make lists going 5 months out (shelves on GR) of what I plan to read. New releases and anticipated books from the library go on there and it helps me prioritze books I have just heard about, series I am continuing on with or books that I own but haven't read. So I guess it is all my mood.

message 31: by Lisa M (new)

Lisa M (lamessegee) | 171 comments I definitely choose by mood/interest. I use the lists of series I find on goodreads discussions and RT and Amazon reviews find my next series to read.

message 32: by Jlyates (new)

Jlyates | 32 comments Mood I have around 30 on my TBR pile (a lot for me) yet none of them have called my name in months. I have picked up a couple and started to read them, but put them back, as they hadn't called to me and they couldn't keep my interest. It wasn't the books, it was they just didn't call to me.

I am re-reading L.Adrian's MB right now, as they have called to me for a week now.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

None of those-- I tend to select from recs on GR! How's that for influence? If I see people talking about a book and the story sounds intriguing, I research it on here and then try and get hold of it. I tend towards PNR and UF mostly, and I love starting new series so I'm always keen to get the first in a series to see if it sparks my interest.

message 34: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 2423 comments Well while doing the bookshelf bingo challenge I'll be letting that rule my decisions a bit. But I have multiple books for each possible shelf so I can still have some sort of choice. It's not like I'm beign told to read a specific book during a specific week.

message 35: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28169 comments Moss wrote: "None of those-- I tend to select from recs on GR! How's that for influence? If I see people talking about a book and the story sounds intriguing, I research it on here and then try and get hold of ..."

LOL! It's very easy to find something to read when wandering through friends' updates. I've added many, many that way. I always have to keep in mind that not everyone's book taste buds are the same, but still love reading how someone dis/liked a book. :)

Mary wrote: "Well while doing the bookshelf bingo challenge I'll be letting that rule my decisions a bit. But I have multiple books for each possible shelf so I can still have some sort of choice. It's not li..."

I tend to stick closely to my monthly challenge TBR list and throw in a few others during the month. If I'm lucky, some of those already chosen will be on the bingo shelf. Otherwise, I end up finding another good book to read that does. :) Love it! Books, books everywhere. A little slice of heaven for addicts like me.

message 36: by Trish (new)

Trish (boxiedoxie) | 38 comments I'm a little bit Challenges and a little bit mood. I like lists so I have a list of books starting with the book that is in the most challenges and going down from there. When I go to the library I checkout 4-5 books at a time and I end up picking whatever I'm in the mood for out of those.

message 37: by Louise (last edited May 31, 2011 12:45AM) (new)

Louise I haven't really participated in any challenges yet, maybe I will when I've been on Goodread a little longer :-)
I have several ways of choosing:

1. My "physical" bookclub meets once every 6th week, so that's one ever present reading obligation
2. If I read about a really interesting book in the paper or hear about one in one of the book podcasts I listen to (BBC open book or Books on the nightstand) I'll get it and start reading right away
3. Library books - I try to read the ones I borrow
4. I have about 700 TBR ones at home, so I'll sometimes grab one of them :-)

Cindy (eclecticfirefly) (eclecticfirefly) | 1237 comments I guess I am a mood reader. Mostly.

I'm active on PBS and play in several games and 2 virtual boxes all the time. I try to choose books for those based on what I have available, and what I have from someone else's wish list. I either offer books I REALLY want to read soon, or ones I feel I can let go of without reading if I become crunched for time.

My TBR at home is over 800 books, so just looking at them sometimes becomes overwhelming! I actually read more when I have a smaller set of books to choose from.

I'm starting to get involved in the Challenges here, so those will also help to put my books into a smaller, friendlier subset.

message 39: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6371 comments Ahhh....Cindy...I can just imagine piles of books tucked here and there around your home! How nice!

Cindy (eclecticfirefly) (eclecticfirefly) | 1237 comments Well......it's nice until the fall over!

I'm off work for 2 weeks at the end of this month. I'm gonna do some SERIOUS rearranging of books. Maybe even *GASP* purge some!

message 41: by Louise (new)

Louise I've actually just packed 4 large bags of books, that I'm taking to a used bookstore on Monday. (I'll probably swap them though...) :-)

Cindy (eclecticfirefly) (eclecticfirefly) | 1237 comments Well - my vacation is over. Went back to work yesterday. I didn't do as much around the house as I had wanted to, but I knew it wouldn't all happen anyway!

My YA books have exploded from 1 double-stacked shelf to 2 double-stacked shelves. My PnR/UF HB and TSB are now on 2 shelves, also double stacked. These do NOT include my Erotica PnR or UF. My PnR/UF MMPB are in 3 zippered storage bags with clear tops. Handles on the ends. Designed to go under the bed, but mine are stacked in front of one of my bookshelves. Ran out of the bags and still have 1 shelf of books left.....

My Erotica is still a work in progress. I have an entire bookcase filled and still have a couple of stacks on the floor..... I need an entire shelf for books that have been damaged in some way. They are still readable, just can't use them for most of the games at PBS. Those are on my dining room table at the moment.

Added a bunch of books here to my bookshelf. Still have most of the PnR/UF and Erotica to add. YIKES!!!!! I think according to GR I have over 500 books listed as TBR, and probably almost that many more still to list. These are just books that I have here in my home. My WL is a different shelf altogether.

message 43: by Laura (new)

Laura (laurazal) | 21 comments Well, Cindy, look at it this way: if some nasty burglar ever comes to your place (tfu, tfu, tfu, ofcourse), all you will have to do is bury him under a nice, huge pile of books and call 911:)

Cindy (eclecticfirefly) (eclecticfirefly) | 1237 comments LOL Laura - that would do it!

message 45: by Nairabell (new)

Nairabell | 634 comments It varies with me. At the moment I have a stack of challenge books that I'm reading my way through so it's a combo of challenge and mood, but there's also an element of laziness.

I ran out of shelves ages ago and have stacks of boxes of books in front of my bookcase and under my desk. If I'm in the mood to read something or there's a particular book that would be ideal for a challenge and I know it's in a low down box there's a 50/50 chance of me being motivated enough to go through the whole unstack, extract book, restack process.

message 46: by Barbara ★ (new)

Barbara ★ I just have so many books at home (over 2600) that choosing just one is nearly impossible without a smaller selection to narrow the field of selection down.

I'm involved in so many challenges (check here if you don't believe me) that I always make a list of the books I need to read each month which includes all library books and all books listed on monthly challenges. Then as the mood hits me, I just pick one of those to read. I also sell/swap books and if one is selected that I haven't read yet, I insert that book into my list and read it when I feel like it (in the correct time frame of course.)

message 47: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 612 comments I'm getting overwhelm right now. I guess I took bigger bite than I can chew. Many challenges to finishe but not enough time. :(

message 48: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6371 comments Good luck, Wan!!

message 49: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (last edited Jul 10, 2012 10:27PM) (new)

Sandra | 23482 comments Wan, maybe you can consolidate some of the books so you don't have to read as many. Cross-challenge those books!

message 50: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6371 comments Good suggestion, Sandra! *must need sleep...should have remembered about doing that...practically(absolutely) a habit!*

« previous 1