Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Group Read Books - archive > The Passage, Part Seven, Chapters 42-46

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7898 comments Yikes! Glad they got out of there! The gang is now travelling west, leaving madness and mayhem behind them. They're joined by Hollis, who I don't remember from the Sanctuary but he must have been there.

Sad about Galen... he didn't deserve that fate, poor guy.

Amy repels the virals...again! What is with this chick?

Oops... they're lured into a building in Las Vegas and suffer another attack by virals. They're rescued by a group who wisks them away.

Part of this section is narrated by Sarah. Interesting device they use of having some of the story be part of a journal being read at a conference on the whole episode, taking place in the future. In the audio, this section is read by a new reader, a woman.

message 2: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3620 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Yikes! Glad they got out of there! The gang is now travelling west, leaving madness and mayhem behind them. They're joined by Hollis, who I don't remember from the Sanctuary but he must have bee..."

this is the part where i got a little bored. i was hoping that the whole book wouldn't be them walking ,walking ,walking, repelling virals.
definitely creepy to read. i kept picturing "the passage, the movie" when reading this part.

message 3: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7898 comments I never read The Road but I imagined that this part might be like that, except they really DID do a lot of walking.

I just finished a later part, which I'll post under the appropriate thread, where I was absolutely envisioning "The Passage, The Movie."

Was it you who said there was a sequel anticipated to this book?

Sherry wrote: "
this is the part where i got a little bored. i was hoping that the whole book wouldn't be them walking ,walking ,walking, repelling virals.
definitely creepy to read. i kept picturing "the passage, the movie" when reading this part. ..."

message 4: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3620 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I never read The Road but I imagined that this part might be like that, except they really DID do a lot of walking.

I just finished a later part, which I'll post under the appropriate thread, wher..."

lol, carol about the passage, the movie. guess we both envisioned that during parts of the book.
and yeah, it was me who said this was the first in a trilogy. not sure who told me that ,though.

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14402 comments Carol:
This seemed like a break out section to me (literally) I had been expecting some of them to leave and look for others before the "Night of Blade and Stars" events. Hollis was the man who killed his brother Arlo when the virals broke into the sanctuary and teacher was killed (Arlo was the viral who had come in and was standing at his own baby's crib) I still am curious about what Arlo was really doing, did his humanity prevail and lead him for one last look at his child?

I especially liked the audio of chapter 44 read in Sarah's voice by a new reader. I could listen to her voice all day. I hope since Sarah reappears at the end of this part apparently ok that we will hear more from her in her voice.

The eight who have set out from the colony left when they had no other choice. I don't have a good feeling for anyone left at the colony after they left and mob rule seems to have taken over. Galen's fate may not be that different from the rest of them after they threw Elton over the wall -- who will keep the batteries running in the light house and the power generating in the power plant - they don't appear to have a lot of talented people left.

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Yikes! Glad they got out of there! The gang is now travelling west, leaving madness and mayhem behind them. They're joined by Hollis, who I don't remember from the Sanctuary but he must have been there...
Part of this section is narrated by Sarah. Interesting device they use of having some of the story be part of a journal being read at a conference on the whole episode, taking place in the future. In the audio, this section is read by a new reader, a woman. "

message 6: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3539 comments I enjoyed this part I felt it grabbed me. I really liked the chapter that was sara's journal. I bet it would have been nice to hear it in her voice on audio. Could that have been sara who was in the vehicle that came for them. That whole part was a mystery to me. Or could Sara have been the viral that was coming after them. I didn't even think that. And what about Theo. And who was the guard talking to him. Is this book ever going to end. People on the nook board can't understand why a book on a e reader would take any longer than any other book. I said it seems like more pages because it takes more nook pages to get to one regular page. And most of us still enjoy reading a regular book at the same time.

message 7: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Sep 16, 2010 06:12PM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7898 comments Ann,

I remembered later who Hollis was. Weren't he and his brother Arlo the ones about whom Sara said noone could tell them apart, and one of them, Hollis I think, grew a beard so they could be told apart? (Apropros of nothing, isn't that an odd phrase? "Tell them apart."?

You are right, I was glad they got out of there and I wouldn't want to stake anything on the chances of those remaining. I loved the development of the character of Michael and how his technical expertise was revealed. They were lucky to have him with. If he had remained, I think people were going so crazy and suspicious that they likely would have turned on him anyway, rather than protect him because he could keep the joint runnin'.

Ann wrote: "Carol:
This seemed like a break out section to me (literally) I had been expecting some of them to leave and look for others before the "Night of Blade and Stars" events. Hollis was the man who kil..."

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14402 comments Carol:
yes, those were the brothers!! and Arlo grew the beard to be "told apart" - I like that phrase! ;)
Hollis grew a beard when they started on their journey and startled Sara that he looked so much like Arlo and she wondered if he did it for that reason in tribute. Cronin does a good job of revealing those deeply human emotions and sentiments IMHO.

I agree, Michael would have been likely been toast back at the colony on the mountain (sadly)

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I remembered later who Hollis was. Weren't he and his brother Arlo the ones about whom Sara said noone could tell them apart, and one of them, Hollis I think, grew a beard so they could be told apart? (Apropros of nothing, isn't that an odd phrase? "Tell them apart."?..."

message 9: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14402 comments DonnaJo:
There are a LOT of questions about the people in the vehicle who came and rescued them from the virals attack in Las Vegas! I was also thinking what would the body armor do for you out in the open when a viral attacked?

Donnajo wrote: "I enjoyed this part I felt it grabbed me. I really liked the chapter that was sara's journal. I bet it would have been nice to hear it in her voice on audio. Could that have been sara who was in the vehicle who came for them?..."