Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Group Read Books - archive > The Passage, Part Three, Chapter 18

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8222 comments by Justin Cronin

message 2: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Aug 24, 2010 06:06PM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8222 comments This part is even shorter than the previous one -- one chapter -- and it's called The Last City.

summary - with spoilers, although not much happens here that pushes the plot forward, as far as I can tell...

This is the story of the evacuation of children 4 - 13 from Philadelphia. The "jumps" (as they are now calling the vampire/human creatures) have overun Washington D.C., Pittsburgh and New York, they don't know where else. The story is being told by Ida Saxon in The Book of Annie. I don't know what the purpose of this little interlude is here, unless it's just to provide a bridge from the initial catastrophe to the next major period.

message 3: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3765 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "This part is even shorter than the previous one -- one chapter -- and it's called The Last City.

summary - with spoilers, although not much happens here that pushes the plot forward, as far as I c..."

just wait grasshopper and all will be revealed. it's an "AHA" moment later on..lol

message 4: by Ann (last edited Aug 31, 2010 10:34PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14835 comments Carol:
Chapter 18 (SPOILERS) is an effective story bridge, giving us a sense of the devastation in North America with the Part 3 title of The Last City - does Cronin refer to Philadelphia (at first I thought so) or the new place in CA behind the lights and the gates where the children end up?
We also get some year markers that help us understand how old Auntie is; we meet her as Ida Jackson at age 8 as she is taken to CA on the train and later in the year 1003 AV, now known as Auntie. And then part four appears to start in 92 AV and confuses us. ;)
We learn that the virus was different in other places, "flat out killing everyone" in most of North America - Europe too? We learn that lights, bright lights all night long around an enclosure can repel the jumps - as long as the lights stay on.
Where did all of the soldiers come from? They seem to be everywhere in force, then again if all that are left are in PA I guess they might not be so many.

message 5: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3637 comments Again this chapter is confusing. I figured out that parts start then the chapter starts a few pages later. It took me awhile to figure out that the chapter doesn't start at the first page of the part. Most books usually do that way but of course this book is again different than most.

message 6: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8222 comments Ann wrote: "Carol:
Chapter 18 (SPOILERS) is an effective story bridge, giving us a sense of the devastation in North America with the Part 3 title of The Last City - does Cronin refer to Philadelphia (at first..."

Yes. i wondered why the east was completely obliterated, when the virus started in Colorado.