Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Group Read Books - archive > The Passage, Part Two, Chapters 15-17

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7814 comments This is a very short Part, and I'm going to summarize it below for anyone who wants to be reminded of where it ends, to comment. It you haven't read to the end of Chapter 17 and don't want to read major spoilers, STOP READING NOW!

SPOILER to end of Part Two..

So this is the Part that follows Amy and Bradwolgast to the camp in somewhere -- Ohio? -- that Brad attended as a kid. They are holed up there for about a year I guess, and he learns through a paper a few days old that major cities have fallen in the U.S., and that countries overseas have not yet been hit but have closed their borders and set up defenses

I found this to be so sad. I didn't expect to lose Brad -- is he really gone? And Amy moved on before he died, which was a surprise. I wonder why?

message 2: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7814 comments I'm much farther in the book now but still don't know why Amy moved on. Guess it will be made clear eventually.... /actually I have a thought but I'd better post it later so as not to spoil anything for those only this far.

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14300 comments Carol:
***** SPOILER to the end of chapter 17 *****

I was sad too that Wolgast was injured and exposed to radiation poisoning and that Amy left him before he succumbed. (or did the stars dropping down from the tree get him?) shudder!
I thought that Amy had seemed more distant as she gained more and more knowledge near the end. It was touching that she nursed Wolgast and that she was sad that he was ill, and made sure to assure him that she was alright. She was returning the favor as he had cared for her.

As for why Amy was compelled to leave when she did, with what I know so far, no idea. ;) I guess she thought there was nothing else she could do for him, or perhaps it was just time for her to go (as previously when Sister Lacy knew she should get out of the car as they escaped the compound in CO and act as a decoy.) Lacy didn't seem to know that was what she would do before she got in the car.

BTW, the camp Wolgast had attended as a boy was in the mountains in Oregon.

message 4: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3502 comments i'm finally finished with this part. The book has finally grabbed me.

Spoiler

I want to think that Wolgast didn't die and that Amy didn't leave. But I know that isn't true. It has me thinking what happened to Amy and where did she go on her own. It's all very strange/creepy. since 18 seems short also I hope to get to it today but want to read some of my other book first since I want that finished for friday to pass on to my sister.
Alot sure has happened this in part. I still don't understand where the title of the part about zero came in. But I know there has to be a connection.
I did write down one quote
"Times passage magnified by the distance they had traveled."
it had me think if that was how they came up with the title. With the passage of time.

message 5: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7814 comments Ann wrote: "Carol:
***** SPOILER to the end of chapter 17 *****

....As for why Amy was compelled to leave when she did, with what I know so far, no idea. ;) ..."

Well, this is embarrassing. One post up I professed to have a thought about why Amy left, and I cannot now for the life of me recall what that thought was! ARRGGGHHHH.

Amy's thought process and reasons for what she did were a mystery, and accepting her as she was (minimal communicator) would have been a real challenge for me! What was frustrating during this Part was assuming that she had developed some connection to/feelings for Wolgast, and to not see the "leaving" from her point of view was to be left not knowing if she was sad at leaving him and not being able to judge if we would have made the same decision because we didn't know what her motivation was.

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14300 comments Carol:
yes, we were left in the dark about Amy quite a bit more than has become normal for the other characters. When Amy was "younger" at the fair and while they were on the run, she was much more communicative. She changed dramatically after being injected with ____ whatever they had in her IV, I assume the virus. If she is supposed to be the vaccine, (my early speculation) then she sure isn't showing it yet.

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "What was frustrating during this Part was assuming that she had developed some connection to/feelings for Wolgast, and to not see the "leaving" from her point of view was to be left not knowing if she was sad at leaving him and not being able to judge if we would have made the same decision because we didn't know what her motivation was. "