Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Group Read Books - archive > The Passage, Part One, Chapters 1-14

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7784 comments Spoilers welcome!

message 2: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Aug 18, 2010 12:28PM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7784 comments Spoiler to Chapter 5:

I am slowly getting involved in the story. I'm mostly comparing it to The Stand, I have to admit. I know from experience that I will do this until the story starts to make its own mark on me and sets itself apart.

It's a little hard on audio to make sure I'm following everything. I also have the HC and want to go back and re-read a couple of parts, especially what happened to the group in Bolivia, and what's unfolding with the prisoner Carter and the secret military camp in Colorado. I am already being creeped out by "Zero." I can see lots of unsettling gorey scenes in my future...

I'm at the part where they (military I guess) have decided to go after Amy, but I can't figure out why she has risen to their attention on the radar screen. I guess that will be explained eventually.

I do think I'm hooked enough to look forward to the next chapters, but I'd like someone else other than Amy to root for right now. I'm not sure yet if the military guy who is still hung up on his ex-wife will be that person, we'll see.

I guess I also expected that they would start out with the catastrophe right away, so I'm waiting impatiently for the "set-up" to end and for "something to happen."

message 3: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3569 comments i'll wait for your next comment(s) after "something" happens. we'll talk more then. ;)

message 4: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments Lol - I'll follow Sherry's example before commenting on characters to root for. I was intrigued by the different set-ups though.

message 5: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Aug 19, 2010 08:21PM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7784 comments Well, I certainly wasn't happy when Amy got ripped out of the arms of Sister Lacy. Poor woman. I wonder if she will resurface? Anyway, it lloks like Wolgast is manning up and protecting Amy, just as I'd hoped. Suspense is slowly creeping up. I loved the scen where Richards pulled the gun on the guy who tormented Carter about why he killed the housewife. A-hole.

Those scenes with Zero staring in at Gray are creeping...me... out....

message 6: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7784 comments Someone's on Part Four already! Jeez! Is that you, Sherry?

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14205 comments I am posting on this thread with one eye shut as I am only up to the end of chapter three. I hope to make more progress on my commute next week. ;) Slow down Carol! Forget part four, I am not even halfway to the end of part one. It looks like chapter four is 43 minutes long so I am going to guess I am on page 56 at the end of chapter three and call it a night with The Passage.

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14205 comments CHAPTER THREE
alternative universe or the future? ... Governor Jenna Bush!! ;)

message 9: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3569 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Someone's on Part Four already! Jeez! Is that you, Sherry?"

yeah, it's me.lol
i love summer vacation!

message 10: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3569 comments Ann wrote: "CHAPTER THREE
alternative universe or the future? ... Governor Jenna Bush!! ;)"

i know, ann. wasn't that a hoot?

message 11: by Sherry (last edited Aug 22, 2010 02:12PM) (new)

Sherry  | 3569 comments the one thing i have a problem with is the inability to go back to chapter one or two or whatever easily like you can with a book.
can you remind me of the name of wolgast's partner?

message 12: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments can you remind me of the name of wolgast's partner?

That would be Doyle.

message 13: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Dale | 135 comments I'm pretty sure it was the future, not an alternative universe. Throughout the book, the author peppers famous names who have gone on to greatness...Gov. Jenna Bush as an example! I thought that was an interesting way of showing the passage of time.

The scene of Amy in the zoo was pretty wild, wasn't it? It created a definite air of mystery around her.

message 14: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3569 comments Marcy wrote: "can you remind me of the name of wolgast's partner?

That would be Doyle."

thanks marcy!

message 15: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3569 comments and the names of the people that helped watch zero?
can you tell i'm fishing for a name that comes up later in the book but can't 100% remember who it is? lol

message 16: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments Are you thinking of Grey and Richards?

message 17: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3569 comments Marcy wrote: "Are you thinking of Grey and Richards?"

nope. i think it's the prisoner. what was his name?

message 18: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14205 comments Carol:
I am "midway" into chapter 5 I think, at the 4:03 mark (around 11%) and it is really hard to find someone else other than Amy to root for. I doubt I will listen to much before Monday's commute. This is a very bleak future we are looking at here Joyce! I think I would rather it be an alternative universe, but agree it isn't looking that way.

Chapter five early future state comments.
Driving from Houston, New Orleans is gone and replaced by a giant refinery or something industrial and a murder filled barracks for the workers. The Interstate highways are set up with police-state-like checkpoints and a country-wide computer system to keep tabs on people. Creepy!

message 19: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Dale | 135 comments Anne, I found all the checkpoints and such to be chilling also. I think it was especially so because the guys in the FBI were stressed about them.

message 20: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Aug 21, 2010 09:34PM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7784 comments Ann, I know what you mean about posting with one eye shut. I kept looking at 13 new posts and thought "wait! who is doing all that posting? it was just me and Ann a second ago." I looked at it three or four times and didn't want to risk it. Now I'm close enough to the end of Part One that I think I can stand a slight spoiler or two. Keep pushing ahead, Ann. I'm finding the story a little confusing as to the detail but I have the general gist, and it is really gripping me. Lucky for me I have the HC and the CD (the librarians who notice are always perplexed at this) so I have been able to go back and re-read stuff that I think I missed. It ususally turns out that I haven't missed much; the detail I'm hoping will be there was never there to begin with!

Ann wrote: "I am posting on this thread with one eye shut as I am only up to the end of chapter three. I hope to make more progress on my commute next week. ;) Slow down Carol! Forget part four, I am not even ..."

message 21: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7784 comments Ann wrote: "CHAPTER THREE
alternative universe or the future? ... Governor Jenna Bush!! ;)"

LOL! At one point one of the characters complain "I didn't vote for them!" about the President's party and I though "oh great, another Obama-basher!" Then I realized we are several decades into the future and had to laugh.

message 22: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7784 comments Sherry wrote: "Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Someone's on Part Four already! Jeez! Is that you, Sherry?"

yeah, it's me.lol
i love summer vacation!"

I knew it! I know you won't spoil anything, but did you love it? Like it?

message 23: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Aug 21, 2010 09:51PM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7784 comments Joyce wrote: "
The scene of Amy in the zoo was pretty wild, wasn't it? It created a definite air of mystery around her. ..."

Yes. I still don't quite get what her deal was. The animals told her that she was a.... what? She can talk to animals? Is she an animal? How did she get to be this special thing? And what is this experiment where she is the last one to get... something. The virus? Some other serum? What? And..

SPOILER TO NEAR THE END OF PART ONE....

I don't know why everyone isn't completely freaked out by those bat-creatures on the loose. If I was the head dude I would not have left the refrigerator I locked myself into. And Lacy is watching these things escape down the walls of the compound, and I guess in a minute they are going to make a meal of the people in the cab. I would be running screaming out of there (and likely then be next on the menu). That woman has ice in her veins!

message 24: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Aug 21, 2010 09:54PM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7784 comments Sherry wrote: "Marcy wrote: "Are you thinking of Grey and Richards?"

nope. i think it's the prisoner. what was his name?"

That would be Carter, the black homeless man who killed the white woman benefactress. Or, helped her die, whatever.

I started doing what I did with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and that was to keep a log of characters' names. I would have never remembered the members of the Bolivian team, who get mentioned later, like Professor Lear. And there are another couple of prisoners who get referenced, but I don't think we've actually met them, or know how they got to the site. Babcock is one. Something tells me he is going to "survive". And who did Zero used to be? One of the original team? i get the feeling I was told that but I lost it.

message 25: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7784 comments Joyce wrote: "Anne, I found all the checkpoints and such to be chilling also. I think it was especially so because the guys in the FBI were stressed about them."

SPOILER to sort of near end of Part One.

Talk about chilling. I can't believe that Richards not only killed the local cops who "arrested" Wolgast and Doyle, but the people in the diner AND the nuns. What a tool!

message 26: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3569 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Joyce wrote: "
The scene of Amy in the zoo was pretty wild, wasn't it? It created a definite air of mystery around her. ..."

Yes. I still don't quite get what her deal was. The animals told her ..."

that was a recurring thing for me- who the heck WAS amy,anyway?

message 27: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3569 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Joyce wrote: "Anne, I found all the checkpoints and such to be chilling also. I think it was especially so because the guys in the FBI were stressed about them."

SPOILER to sort of near end of Pa..."

the tone of the the book kind of reminded me of the road by cormac mc carthy..except with people and something that you'll find out about later..lol

message 28: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7784 comments You Tease! LOL

I never read The Road, but I'm glad it is now only mildly reminding me of The Stand.

One question I have.. How did Sister Lacy find the encampment? No, I don't really want an answer unless you can give me a citation from Part One, LOL.

Sherry wrote: "
the tone of the the book kind of reminded me of the road by cormac mc carthy..except with people and something that you'll find out about later..lol
o ..."

message 29: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3569 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "You Tease! LOL

I never read The Road, but I'm glad it is now only mildly reminding me of The Stand.

One question I have.. How did Sister Lacy find the encampment? No, I don't really want an a..."

not answering that..lol

message 30: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3472 comments Okay read 1/2 the post I think. Yesterday I started the reading the posts and thought no wait until today. Now I'm up to chapter 6 and finally passed 100. yippie. I looked at his website bad idea since the part he explains about the book gave me answers I didn't want yet. So I didn't finish checking out stuff there. It sure it confusing with allt these names and other things I did start keeping notes but probably won't end up doing that on weekends. Sherry I got reminded up the Road too. Just hope I like this book more than the road since I wasn't crazy about that book. So far I'm liking the parts with Amy better than the parts with the other's. If anything I think they go fast for me. Since I'm starting chapter 6 I know it's a amy chapter so hopefully it will go fast and I can move on to 7. You guys are just too fast for me. But I can understand we are all doing different ways of getting though the book. Audio, hc, kindle, nook.

message 31: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3472 comments I'm up to chapter 10 and so far the amy and the carter chapters are the one I enjoy or can get though the other ones I'm still haven't problems with and find at times they are confusing.

message 32: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7784 comments DJ the story is definitely confusing, I have to pay close attention With listening on audio, a couple of times I've had to re-listen to a track or go to the hardcover to make sure I didn't miss anything. I'd been keeping notes of names but I I've stopped, I think we have settled into a place where there aren't going to be a lot of new characters. I hope, anyway!

Donnajo wrote: "I'm up to chapter 10 and so far the amy and the carter chapters are the one I enjoy or can get though the other ones I'm still haven't problems with and find at times they are confusing."

message 33: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3472 comments I finished one book I was reading so at least one michaels book is ready for my sister now started the last one before the one I'm missing. then she had read the next one and I have too. Then finally we are caught up. yippy. Anyway, I'm hoping I'll get to do some good reading with the passage. I'll be solo on sunday for must of the day so if I go to the beach I'm giving in and taking the nook to read. My knee now started hurting late yesterday. sypthmy pains I guess my sister starts therapy for her knee on monday at 10.

message 34: by Ann (new)

I finished listening to part one tonight! I was almost exhausted this week with the length of these 14 chapters as a whole and was eager to get to the point where I wouldn't see a spoiler by reading this thread. I am going to compose my thoughts overall on this section over the weekend and tackle parts 2-3 early next week.
Re "SPOILER TO NEAR THE END OF PART ONE....
As for what Doyle, Lacy and Lear were thinking about when they calmly went about their business of saving Amy and Wolgast - I got the feeling that since they somehow "knew" what was going to happen, they felt it was inevitable and they just dealt with it in a much more accepting way than seems possible. Those in the know of the project's potential for world-wide destruction with the "sticks" or vampire creatures - Lear and Richards started planning in their own way for that potential world with vampires on the loose.
Jonas Lear evidentially initiated the bringing in of Amy (purpose unknown), Richards ordered the extra ordnance truck, the one Lacy used to get into the compound, but found his solution inadequate, and the soldier Paulson may have been preparing in his own way as he asked his questions of Gray and even Carter over the previous weeks and during the ominous 32 minutes by using his grenade on the elevator.

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "SPOILER TO NEAR THE END OF PART ONE....
I don't know why everyone isn't completely freaked out by those bat-creatures on the loose. If I was the head dude I would not have left the refrigerator I locked myself into. And Lacy is watching these things escape down the walls of the compound, and I guess in a minute they are going to make a meal of the people in the cab. I would be running screaming out of there (and likely then be next on the menu). That woman has ice in her veins! "

message 35: by Ann (new)

Spoilers to the end of Part one!

Good question and unknown as far as I can tell in part one -- How did Sister Lacy know how to find Amy (or Wolgast?) How did Doyle know that Lacy was coming and 'hear' her on her journey? Right now I can only assume that Amy was dreaming about what was happening with Fanning / Zero and the others (their plotting and communicating with the sweeps) and maybe involving seeing some of the future and was somehow sending a homing beacon or part of her dreams to Lacy (and possibly Doyle) How else could Lacy and Doyle act so calmly in the face of what seemed like an incredibly horrific scene?
I am speculating that Amy was mentally connected in some way to both Wolgast and Lacy from their first physical contact and that connection was on a very long tether, eventually including Doyle who had seemed to resist her pull initially.
It makes sense to me that possibly Jonas Lear had initially "heard" Amy too and he was the impetus for Amy's involvement, pulling in Lacy, Wolgast and Doyle in her wake. The people around the vampires either get infected from the blood dreams or have knowledge of what the others are thinking and doing (or both)
It may be fun to see what our speculations turn out to be, accurate or wildly off-base.

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "One question I have.. How did Sister Lacy find the encampment? No, I don't really want an answer unless you can give me a citation from Part One, LOL."

message 36: by Ann (new)

Tim Fanning is mentioned as part of the Bolivia events at the beginning of chapter two. I still may have to go for the Kindle copy for reference as these first 2.5 chapters have been very helpful in gaining some perspective (in retrospect) ;)

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Babcock is one. Something tells me he is going to "survive". And who did Zero used to be? One of the original team? i get the feeling I was told that but I lost it. ."

message 37: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3472 comments okay I mostly read all the posts that didn't have spoiler until end of one so I'm safe and can't wait until I can read the rest of them. I'm starting 14. And I said on the other thread it's a long one. I might try and get some of it read when I get offline. What a book to be the first bfb for the nook. Parts of the book grab me (Amy, Carter) then parts of it completely confuse me (Grey, zero). I get going in a chapter I enjoy and then suddenly they change in the middle of the chapter to grey or zero. I'm doing more highlighting so if I know something I might want to look up later it will be more easy to find it.

message 38: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3472 comments okay I changed the size of the print and the font and now it's still not too small that I can read it comfortably and it's only 2 nook pages before the page number changes which it alot better and it sure goes faster with more to a page. I never expected to finish the first part but I did. Once I started it went fast and I couldn't put the nook down.

Spoiler to part 2.

What a chapter which had me at the end of my seat at times. I have alot of the same questions as everyone has (or should I say had) at this point. One think if I remember from past reading with anything vampire isn't it if they get killed or shot or whatever usually they heal themselves and can still come back. Just a thought.
I couldn't understand why Lear, Lacey and Doyle kind of stayed behind to give themselves to whoever. And how doyle knew Lacey was coming and how Lacey found the compound and how they found where Wolgast and Amy were coming out the duc. All strange things. I'm giving up for the rest of the tonight. Maybe move onto something not so edge of the seat. If I have nightmares tonight I know who to go after .

message 39: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7784 comments Strap yourself in, DJ, you're in for quite a ride. Like Sherry promises, all will become clear..... eventually.....

Donnajo wrote: "okay I mostly read all the posts that didn't have spoiler until end of one so I'm safe and can't wait until I can read the rest of them. I'm starting 14. And I said on the other thread it's a lon..."

message 40: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14205 comments DonnaJo:
That would be Carol! ;)

Donnajo wrote: " If I have nightmares tonight I know who to go after . "

message 41: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3472 comments You are safe no nightmares. Someone I one of the other boards that was reading it had to stop because she was having them. I was out today (needlepoint and ordered a canvas Klimt's the kiss for a nook cover they have kindle/nook covers yeah and it's my favorite picture too. I'm waiting to order the holder after I see the colors in the canvas. It's either red, black or brown I'm hoping red will match) also did B&N got more free godiva chocolate and I'm not sharing this package I shared the other one)Anyway I played with the nook at B&N for in store stuff but haven't read any of the next chapter. But will when I get offline.

message 42: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7784 comments Nuh-uh!!!!

Ann wrote: "DonnaJo:
That would be Carol! ;)

Donnajo wrote: " If I have nightmares tonight I know who to go after . ""

message 43: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3472 comments okay are you ready. I'm up and guess why. Can't fall back to sleep. okay not going to think about it.

message 44: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14205 comments DJ:
oops! nap during the day when it is safe! ;)

Donnajo wrote: "okay are you ready. I'm up and guess why. Can't fall back to sleep. okay not going to think about it."

message 45: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3472 comments I did fall back to sleep after I got offline but when I woke from my alarm that went off I wasn't happy. At least it wasn't the middle of the night more around 4am. All that was in my mind was part of a song that went like "they are coming to take you away haha" can't remember exactly where it comes from but you hear it around Halloween. It probably came out the same time Monster mash did.

message 46: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7784 comments Donnajo wrote: "All that was in my mind was part of a song that went like "they are coming to take you away haha" can't remember exactly where it comes from but you hear it around H..."

Oh man, DJ, you sent me off in search of the lyrics, haven't thought of that one in a quarter century, I'm sure! Google it and you'll come up with some fun video's of the song: "They're Coming to Take Me Away, Ha-Haaaa!" by Napoleon XIV, released in 1966. If you enter the lyric in Wikipedia's search engine you get a fascinating history of the song. Did you know it could not be copyrighted as a song because the artist never actually sings, but speaks the lyrics? It was copyrighted as a lecture. It also had a sequel, "I'm Happy They Took You Away, Ha-Haaaa!" by Josephine XIV.
I could go on but I won't, Ha-Haaa!

message 47: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7784 comments ..except that I can't resist posting the lyrics:

Remember when you ran away And I got on my knees and begged you Not to go because I'd go beserk? WELL,

You left me anyhow and Then the days got worse and worse And now you see I've gone completely out of my mind

AND

(chorus 1): They're coming to take me away, Haha, they're coming to take me away, Ho ho, hee hee, ha ha, To the funny farm Where life is beautiful all the time And I'll be happy to see Those nice young men In their clean white coats And they're coming to take me AWAY, HA HAAAA

You thought it was a joke, and so you LAUGHED, YOU LAUGHED! When I had said that losing you Would make me flip my lid,

RIGHT?

You know you laughed. I HEARD you laugh, you laughed And laughed and laughed And then you left, And now you see I'm utterly mad

AND

(chorus 2): They're coming to take me away, Haha, they're coming to take me away, Ho ho, hee hee, ha ha, To the happy home with trees and flowers And chirping birds and basket weavers Who sit and smile and Twiddle their thumbs and toes And they're coming to take me away, HAHAAAAAAAAA

I cooked your food, I cleaned your house, And this is how you pay me back For all my kind unselfish loving deeds

RIGHT?

Well, you just wait, They'll get you yet, And when they do, they'll put you in the ASPCA, you mangy MUTT,

AND

(chorus 1) (chorus 2)

message 48: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14205 comments Carol and DJ:
What fun to have the lyrics and walk down memory lane! I am so glad you had time to look this up and include the trivia highlights for this song! HaHaaaaaa!
Now we can laugh at any The Passage related nightmares!

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Oh man, DJ, you sent me off in search of the lyrics, haven't thought of that one in a quarter century, I'm sure! Google it and you'll come up with some fun video's of the song: "They're Coming to Take Me Away, Ha-Haaaa!" by Napoleon XIV, released in 1966.
..If you enter the lyric in Wikipedia's search engine you get a fascinating history of the song. Did you know it could not be copyrighted as a song because the artist never actually sings, but speaks the lyrics? It was copyrighted as a lecture. "

message 49: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3472 comments Leave it to Carol to come up with more lyrics and trivia about the song. Now I'll be thinking about them all day. Ha, haaa........
I'm wasting time before leaving at 6am. So far I think I'm safe to leave for the shore. Every news you hear says something different one says they are getting showers another says not yet. So I'm hoping for not yet. They said high tides are starting early (can't understand that since they were 2am so going in a different way so i don't have to reroute when I get close. Will take pictures of the ocean and post.

message 50: by Ann (last edited Sep 03, 2010 04:54AM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14205 comments DJ:
Not only do you need to look out for the flyers, smokes, jumps, etc., HaHaaaaa, now you and the others on the East Coast have to look out for Earl and after effects at the shore and inland from Mother Nature! (no HaHaaa there)
Stay dry!

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Stand (other topics)