Delirity discussion

Author S > Study - M.V. Snyder

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather T (horrorvacui000) | 5931 comments Mod
Poison Study (Study, #1) by Maria V. Snyder Magic Study (Study, #2) by Maria V. Snyder Fire Study (Study, #3) by Maria V. Snyder

message 2: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 1272 comments Poison study started out a little slow but picked up I dont agree that it should be YA. In one of my groups Maria was a guest and we had a post asking her questions that she answered. She said that she didnt write it as a YA they just kinda got marketed that way. The level of violence, language and the sexual content was a lil on the adult level and I wouldnt recomend it for anyone younger than 17. Magic study so far is my favorite of the series I still have not read Fire study yet.

message 3: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments Hehe, this is on my to-read shelf and I'm 15. xD Don't worry, I can surely handle it. (:

message 4: by Heather (new)

Was she talking about Study specifically or Glass? Study is definitely adult. Glass is YA. I haven't seen Study in the YA section...

message 5: by Heather (new)

I really liked the first one, the other 2 were okay. I think it's because of a certain character not being involved as frequently as I would like.

message 6: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 1272 comments Heather wrote: "I really liked the first one, the other 2 were okay. I think it's because of a certain character not being involved as frequently as I would like."

aah yes I loved him from the start although the commander is a very disturbing character lol.

message 7: by ~*I love Tea*~ (new)

~*I love Tea*~ | 14 comments I love the entire series - They are one of my all - time favourite books.

message 8: by Shannon (new)

Shannon C. I also liked this highly original series. I enjoyed the early books better than the last one. The one area I would have liked improvement is more interactions with Valek. I loved his character and wanted more of the relationship development.

message 9: by Angela (new)

Angela B I picked the first in this series but at the library just the other day, it'll probably be awhile until I get to it though

message 10: by Shannon (last edited Aug 31, 2010 06:34PM) (new)

Shannon C. Has anyone read Storm Glass? I think it's a spin off series to the Study series.

Do Yelena & Valek have roles in the spin off series?

message 11: by Heather (new)

I read the spin-off. Yelena comes into play more than Valek, but I think he makes a cameo now and then. I enjoyed it. There's a discussion set up for it too. It's just listed under YA.

message 12: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 1272 comments Heather wrote: "Was she talking about Study specifically or Glass? Study is definitely adult. Glass is YA. I haven't seen Study in the YA section..."

She was talking about the study series we were reading Poison Study as a group read. I found it in the YA section I guess it depends on the area you live in where they will place the book.My library and book shops have huge YA sections because our area is newers alot of schools in the area and more being built. Alot of 'New Money' as well.

message 13: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 1272 comments Yelena is between the ages of 18-20 if I remember it has been a while since reading it. So I guess to get more sales the publishers did what they are doing with alot of re-releases and changing up the cover and sticking it in the YA sections since thats whats big right now. Because of some of the sexual content and language I feel it should have remained in the adult section Im 20 and old enough to handle it but I wouldnt recoment it to a 15 year old who might end up picking it up because its in the same section as twilight and Vampire Diaries.

message 14: by Elliwyn (new)

Elliwyn | 1 comments When I read some the comments I couldn't help but be confused. I've read all three and none of them are that intimite nor violent more so I would reconmend it to 14 and above to be honest. I read these books last year 'cause another avid reader friend like myself loved it. We were both fifteen. Either that or I just compare everything to other adult books I've read that are without a doubt very violent and intimate. I read those books when I was thirteen and still love them. Aged limits for books are ridiculus in my opinion in terms of content, however I think its how much of an experienced reader you are that should be taken into acount. I love this trilogy and is definatly up there with my favourites, the characters and plot were very well written because it seems all the questions gets anwsered and your left with a feeling of subtle content. Hope I've made sense :p

message 15: by Heather (new)

You made sense. It all depends on maturity levels. Until more recently it was adult and a lot of libraries and stores categorize it that way. Although, Chakara's doesn't. I found Poison Study in the Romance section at all the stores around me.
YA is getting more descriptive and violent as the years progress (at least from what I read when I was in the YA age range). With TV and everything, it's harder to shelter kids (not like it was ever easy) and what was unexceptable decades ago is now the norm. Breaking Dawn was the first YA sex scene I ever read, but I'm sure there were more before hand. I just never seemed to come across them.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2445 comments I've never found any of the Study books shelved in romance in any of the book stores I've been. (I always seem to be recommending it and have to find it.)

It's true that the content in YA books is getting way more graphic. For some reason the violence doesn't bother me as much as the sexual content does. The first "sex" scene I had ever come across was in The Hero and the Crown. They kissed and then the author alluded that they had sex. I kind of miss that in the YA genre. I know a lot of readers tell me that they read YA to avoid serious tones of sex.

message 17: by Heather (new)

I kind of like the whole "end scene" or "fade to black" every now and then. It seems more romantic when done right and less physical.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2445 comments Yes, indeedy! Those "fade to black" scenes manage to make my heart race more and leave me with the "ahhhhhhh" moment much more then descriptive ones.

In fact the "fade to black" scene was so romantic to me that it has stuck with me for over 10 years after reading The Hero and the Crown.

message 19: by Angela (new)

Angela B I found Posion Study in romance at Barnes and Noble :)

message 20: by Samantha (last edited Dec 05, 2010 10:06PM) (new)

Samantha | 432 comments You know, lately I rely on Borders and B&N to shelve books in the right genre, like, never.

When the the Study series was first published it was published under LUNA, part of Harlequin's fantasy romance line, so it could be in either genre. Later when the books became more popular they reissued them, hence the different cover and in trade paperback ( = more money). Then they reissued books again and this time they were targeted toward the YA audience.

I only know this because I read this series when it first came out and had to wait forever for the last one while she finished moving to a different line in her publisher's house.

First: Poison Study (Study, #1) by Maria V. Snyder then: Poison Study (Study, #1) by Maria V. Snyder then: Poison Study (Study, #1) by Maria V. Snyder

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2445 comments Same here. I bought the Luna copy of Pioson Study. Then I never saw any of the other books until they were reissued. It was such a pain waiting for them.

message 22: by Heather (new)

Here is a problem that I've learned about... If something has its designation changed, stores are rarely notified of it. books or movies... once they're in a section, they tend to stay there unless they become a HUGE name and their designation changes. They'll figure it out when the newest book comes out.

message 23: by Ali (new)

Ali | 43 comments I just finished the first book in the series. I thought it was great. I am disappointed to see that Valek is not in the following two books that much. I wanted to see their relationship develop more.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2445 comments I haven't read the next two, that makes me said that Valek isn't in them too much. I've read Storm Glass and it seemed like they're relationship had some meaningful developments after Poison Study.

message 25: by Heather (new)

The relationship grows and he pops up at times, but it's Yelena's journey. Valek has to do his job so he can't be around 100%. Snyder tends to write about strong women who can sometimes be aided by men, but their lives aren't consumed by said men. They love them, they miss them, but they have a job to do so they do it.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2445 comments Heather said: They love them, they miss them, but they have a job to do so they do it.

That's what I love about her books!

message 27: by Angela (new)

Angela B I do love these books! Just wonderful, I shall have to read Fire Study asap :)

message 28: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 1272 comments working in a retail setting I understand where everyone is coming from if the book is by a very popular author or very popular publishing house they sometimes give the store directions as to where they want the books placed we can actually get in trouble for not placing them in the right place if a rep finds out.but also if we dont recive a description of where an item needs to be placed we place it where ever we see fit. I think these books have been out so long the book stores just place them where ever they see fit. In certain towns and cities romance sells more in others ya in others scifi I think that also plays a major roll. :)

message 29: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 1272 comments oh byt he way I have just rechecked out Fire study so hopefully I will finish this series once and for all and start on the Glass series. :) woot woot ..I say woot woot.

message 30: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (mariexd) They're good, but I thought the first one was the best. It did kind of seem a little more adult than young adult but I bought the more recent ones and they were under YA.

message 31: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 1272 comments yea i dont think its for younger audiences esp ith what Yelana went through and the flashbacks she had in the first book. Also the plot of the first is a little slow moving to be YA.They aren good though.

Vivian ♪(┌・。・)┌		 (vivianvivianvivian) Heather wrote: "You made sense. It all depends on maturity levels. Until more recently it was adult and a lot of libraries and stores categorize it that way. Although, Chakara's doesn't. I found Poison Study in th..."

I agree with Heather. ALthough it is not only because of television and the way YA seems to be getting increasingly violent and sexual. But i think that the younger generations are being exposed to those things more so then maybe a decade ago. It all depends on the maturity level of the person though. Personally, I read this book this year/last year (can't quite remember) and I'm only 12 right now. ALthough that may seem quite extreme, it really just depends on your maturity level.